MG4 Trophy Preheat Battery Help

Is HV battery pack per-heating intending to improve rapid charging in colder weather? Randomly heating the battery pack for a normal journey doesn’t seem right.
If it was that beneficial for use on a journey wouldn’t it be automated?

Is HV battery pack per-heating intending to improve rapid charging in colder weather? Randomly heating the battery pack for a normal journey doesn’t seem right.
If it was that beneficial for use on a journey wouldn’t it be automated?
I think that it is automated and that is why people are seeing such bad efficiency currently.

I've been testing a bit today but the lack of data from the car is not making it easy.

I suspect that it is similar to the ID3 which will automatically activate the battery heater when it is below 10C which leads to terrible winter economy due to the 7kW draw. It does this to prevent increased degradation by use at low temperatures.

I think that it is automated and that is why people are seeing such bad efficiency currently.

I've been testing a bit today but the lack of data from the car is not making it easy.

I suspect that it is similar to the ID3 which will automatically activate the battery heater when it is below 10C which leads to terrible winter economy due to the 7kW draw. It does this to prevent increased degradation by use at low temperatures.
Oh ok. I didn’t realise that battery heaters were used in that way (certainly not in the UK climate) . I thought that they were really there to precondition prior to rapid charging in cold weather. I’ve learnt something. As you say, it must have a hellish range impact.

I don't think battery heating is required <10 to be honest. My current EV will allow preheating for DC charging at <5 but for day to day driving <-5...which some consider too low but it doesn't seem to affect range that greatly. I am still to be fully convinced of preheating for day to day driving versus overall efficiency.
DC charging when colder/freezing is another matter

I don't think battery heating is required <10 to be honest. My current EV will allow preheating for DC charging at <5 but for day to day driving <-5...which some consider too low but it doesn't seem to affect range that greatly. I am still to be fully convinced of preheating for day to day driving versus overall efficiency.
DC charging when colder/freezing is another matter
It depends how you look at it. I'd prefer fully manual control over battery heating but that's not going to be popular, everybody wants automatic.

Also, everybody slated the leaf because of it's lack of battery thermal management leading to high degradation but now it seems people are moaning that the manufacturers are managing the battery leading to higher consumption which is exactly why Nissan went down that route 🤷‍♂️

It depends how you look at it. I'd prefer fully manual control over battery heating but that's not going to be popular, everybody wants automatic.

Also, everybody slated the leaf because of it's lack of battery thermal management leading to high degradation but now it seems people are moaning that the manufacturers are managing the battery leading to higher consumption which is exactly why Nissan went down that route 🤷‍♂️
I think that the early packs suffered more due to their lack of cooling and not a lack of rapid charge pre conditioning or heating. I would suggest that Nissan incentives were more financial keeping costs down. It was early days in the battery technology too.

I think that the early packs suffered more due to their lack of cooling and not a lack of rapid charge pre conditioning or heating. I would suggest that Nissan incentives were more financial keeping costs down. It was early days in the battery technology too.
Of course it was about about saving money, isn't that what we now appreciate from MG?

The lack of cooling was never a problem in the UK but still people still mention it as a problem. The real problem is that they prioritised cost, safety and power delivery (so no reduced power at low temps or soc) over longevity.

Does the MG4 Trophy allow you to Preheat the battery, if it does, can someone help explain how. I was hoping to preheat from my MG App? Thanks in advance.
On ismart app go to charging page set what time to start and finish charging, then underneath is battery heating set one hour before your set charging time

Does the MG4 Trophy allow you to Preheat the battery, if it does, can someone help explain how. I was hoping to preheat from my MG App? Thanks in advance.
Yes is the answer go into battery settings and look at bottom of screen setting is there
Not in the app but in the car in the Battery section on the bottom part of the screen it’s there clear as mud

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel