MG4 Trophy [problem with keys not working]

Raymond AB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Afternoon, I have owned 2 x MG5 Exclusive EV's; my first one is coming up for 3 years old and my 2nd is 18 months. I really enjoy driving these vehicles and I have had no issues with them from day one.
As the first vehicle is coming up to 3 years old I decided it was time for a change.

I have test driven the New MG4 Trophy on more than one occasion and I'm really impressed with this car's performance, looks and drivability.
I when out and purchased a brand new MG4 Trophy at the start of January 24 and expected it receive my new car around the 10th January.
I got a call from the Aberdeen dealership to be informed that my new car had passed it PDI and road test, however there is a problem, we cannot lock or open the car with the keys and we cannot let you have the car until this problem has been resolved. They have been in touch with MG to see what the problem is and at this time I'm still waiting for the Dealership to resolve the Issue with MG. I'm extremely disappointed that I cannot get my new car. Is there anyone on this forum who has come across this issue with the new MG4. There are no key error messages on the cars system and it is running on the latest software. Any help to resolve this problem would be appreciated.

Afternoon, I have owned 2 x MG5 Exclusive EV's my first one is coming up for 3 years old and my 2nd is18 months, I really enjoy driving these vehicles and I have had no issues with them from day one.
As the first vehicle is coming up to 3 years old I decided it was time for a change.

I have test driven the New MG4 Trophy on more that one occasion and I'm really impressed with this car's performance, looks and drivability.
I when out and purchased a brand new MG4 Trophy at the start of January 24 and expected it receive my new car around the 10th January.
I got a call from the Aberdeen dealership to be informed that my new car had passed it PDI and road test, however there is a problem, we cannot lock or open the car with the keys and we cannot let you have the car until this problem has been resolved, They have been in touch with MG to see what the problem is and at this time I'm still waiting for the Dealership to resolve the Issue with MG. I'm extremely disappointed that I cannot get my new car. Is there anyone on this forum who has come across this issue with the New MG4. There are no key error messages on the cars system and it is running on the latest software. any help to resolve this problem would be appreciated.

Dang that's a good deal, that's SE price. Is the old spec (black roof) but 4k cheaper than even the affinity discount was for new spec few months ago when I brought! :eek:

EDIT: OP may be worth rejecting/cancelling and going with this deal if alot cheaper. Never heard of an issue where keys dont work at all - batteries??

Last edited:
Not heard of this often, possibly a fault in the key module on the car - or perhaps they've supplied the wrong coded keys?
According to the Dealership the Keys are the correct ones, its all rather frustrating. MG have not come up with the answer yet to the problem

Dang that's a good deal, that's SE price. Is the old spec (black roof) but 4k cheaper than even the affinity discount was for new spec few months ago when I brought! :eek:

EDIT: OP may be worth rejecting/cancelling and going with this deal if alot cheaper. Never heard of an issue where keys don't work at all - batteries??
Dealership say they have checked the batteries, there is no key error code displayed during the diagnostics. Car recognizes the keys and starts and they can drive the car its only the locking of the car using the keys that does not work

I would ring MG myself but not sure who to contact within their Organization apart from the MD or CEO
Thing is you haven't bought the car from MG they sold it to the dealer who then sold it to you.
It's a really bad business model that is now prevalent throughout the industry.

Just tell the dealer fix it in good time or I reject the car.

Fuse F15 on the interior fuse box is labelled, "Super Lock" if that's got anything to do with it, but they should know that.

I wonder if there's an extra key hiding somewhere in the car?
It will still lock using the key button even if there is another key in the car. Discovered when I was trying to lock the car using the door button and it kept blowing the horn and refusing to lock. My wife had left her bag and her key in the car which was causing this. But it did lock using the key.

I wonder if someone has changed the setting to change how the key locks the doors.

The default is when you press the lock button once it locks/unlocks all the doors but it can be set to just unlock the driver's door with a single press and needs to be pressed twice to unlock all the doors. But it also needs to be pressed twice to lock all the doors.

EDIT: OP may be worth rejecting/cancelling and going with this deal if alot cheaper. Never heard of an issue where keys dont work at all - batteries??
Reading the link they also have a "23 PLATE USED VERSION WITH ONLY 900 MILES ON AT £23450"

Thing is you haven't bought the car from MG they sold it to the dealer who then sold it to you.
It's a really bad business model that is now prevalent throughout the industry.

Just tell the dealer fix it in good time or I reject the car.
You will be glad to know that I threaten the Dealership with cancelling the deal unless they came up with another vehicle as they had similar models in their showroom, I gave them 5 days to allocate me another vehicle, guess what they came up with another car within 3 days and even offered to deliver the car to me. success!!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back