Mg4 Trophy SatNav

Martinonline

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I am sorry if this is a repeat of a previous conversation.

I have had my Trophy for a month. I have made 2 journeys to test the SatNav. In both cases, where I chose to ignore the specified route (because I knew better) or selected an alternative route from the Satnav, I ended up being directed down single-lane roads or roads with reduced width. In one case coming back (East) over the Pennines the alternative route sent me into a farmyard en route to a narrow track to join up with a 'real' road. Luckily the Milk-Tanker arrived just as I as doing a 'u-ey'(note alternative spellings are available) but my lovely shiny car was mud-splattered.

Other than resort to my trusty Navmii, any advice please.

It is why I use AppleCarplay. Live maps with some brains. As you can tell Google, Apple or Waze maps to avoid single tracks or toll roads or select energy efficient routes etc

So if you are able to, I would recommend plugging in and using Android auto or Apple CarPlay for your sat nav.

If using AA, be sure to:
1. Open Google Maps, select settings - Navigation Settings - Disable Play voice over Bluetooth
2. Turn off Bluetooth on the car
3. Turn off 'Hello MG' in the car settings

This allows navigation voice through the car speakers, plus holding down the 'Voice' button (2 seconds) on the steering wheel will bring up Google Assistant so you can speak a command.

I am sorry if this is a repeat of a previous conversation.

I have had my Trophy for a month. I have made 2 journeys to test the SatNav. In both cases, where I chose to ignore the specified route (because I knew better) or selected an alternative route from the Satnav, I ended up being directed down single-lane roads or roads with reduced width. In one case coming back (East) over the Pennines the alternative route sent me into a farmyard en route to a narrow track to join up with a 'real' road. Luckily the Milk-Tanker arrived just as I as doing a 'u-ey'(note alternative spellings are available) but my lovely shiny car was mud-splattered.

Other than resort to my trusty Navmii, any advice please.
You can change your route preferences.
Tap the three dots below the star on the navigation screen, then the cog
then More Settings
then Navigation Preferences
then Avoid on Route.
Which gives you these options

1684736541749.png

Am very happy with my built-in satnav. It quickly re-routes when I decide to ignore her instructions. It appears to be very up to date with recent crashes, closures and roadworks etc. Much better than my old stick-on Garmin.

Am very happy with my built-in satnav. It quickly re-routes when I decide to ignore her instructions. It appears to be very up to date with recent crashes, closures and roadworks etc. Much better than my old stick-on Garmin.
It actually is one of the best systems I have ever seen in any car - let alone at that price.

Many thanks to all who have replied

I understand the settings and have selected those travel-facets I wish to avoid but 'single-lane track' is not an option. I had set 'ECO' for my return journey from West to East over the Pennines to Sheffield.

I wanted a different return route opted for the 'alternative' route on the display.

I was starting in Biddulph and wanted to avoid Congleton (usually congested). All appeared well as I headed for Leek (and the A53) and joined the A523 but then the SatNav directed me northwards towards Macclesfield. Then the single-track issue arose.

It directed me to turn on Minn End Lane, right off the A523; I obeyed and ended up in the 'Farmyard'. To see, input 'Minn End Lane' in to Google Maps; move the location west until just before the junction with the A523. Use StreetMap to look at the cluster of buildings about a mile in; note the width of the road to access and egress.

When I returned to the A523 the SatNav offered me 'Smithy Lane' - another narrow metalled road - but I rejected it for the safe A54 which, I believe, the StaNav was short-cutting to.

The roads over the Pennines between the Red Rose and White Rose Counties offers great regeneration opportunities; perhaps that's why I was directed along those roads.

On a similar note - how does your Satnav handle longer than range routes and chargers?

I can see them as a POI to navigate to manually. Yet if I route to say Edinburgh (outside of my available range) it just directs me there without any charger stops - if I click the pump/charge icon it just says “no chargers found within range”.

Just an oddity or the same for others?

If I remember correctly when I looked for chargers it only gave them near the specified destination. The destination I put in is ~180 miles away so I had to specify a halfway point to find a convenient charging point, having looked on ZapMap/Pod-Point.

Had to zoom to the destination to see them.

If I remember correctly when I looked for chargers it only gave them near the specified destination. The destination I put in is ~180 miles away so I had to specify a halfway point to find a convenient charging point, having looked on ZapMap/Pod-Point.

Had to zoom to the destination to see them.
Yeah it shows you stations within a specified area but I think it would be better to show them along a route if you are navigating. But you never know it may get updated.👍

Another issue with the sat nav is that when it recalculates for any reason then it will revert to the default route. Most annoying. I just use Android Auto now.

The most annoying thing I've found with the SatNav is that it's an absolute PIA to use.

I wanted to copy the route planned by ABRP on to it, but it didn't recognise the location of the particular charging station I wanted to use (Gridserve at Ferrybridge) so I had to add the postcode as a POI. It then chose a totally unsuitable route to my destination over a toll bridge that's currently closed.

Without adding a raft load of POIs, I just couldn't get it to follow the route I wanted so I gave up and I'm going to use AA.

Btw, can anyone remind me how to get to the messages? I did send a route to the satnav from the app, but now can't remember how to get to it!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back