MG4 Undertray Gap - MG Fix inbound?

Burgo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
I saw this on a FB forum - I know not whether it is true or not but have an appointment on 15 Jan for mine to be looked at and will check with the garage then.
1000013244.jpg

I saw this on a FB forum - I know not whether it is true or not but have an appointment on 15 Jan for mine to be looked at and will check with the garage then. View attachment 22711
That's encouraging. My car's going in for the second time for them to "attempt" to fix it, later this month. I'm tempted to phone to see if they know about this.🤔

I've just picked my car from the dealers for a Bluetooth problem and for the undertray bulge. I gave them the details of the fix when I left the car with them.
The out come is they have ordered a new under tray. The part for the fix is shown on their ordering system but is not available to order in the UK.
If the part comes as part of the new tray they will fit it as well. If not and it becomes available then they will order. At least they have accepted the problem and are committed to fixing it.

Can't resist being a cynic here but it shows how little respect mg DON'T have for the UK market. We've been reporting the issue for a year and fobbed off, Australia have had the mg4 for a few months to flag it up and have had the solution expedited

Last edited:
I'll post a photo when the bracket has been installed on mine. Australia is a much smaller market with so far about 3500 MG4s on the road.

The fix would seem to be pretty inexpensive so good to install it on a few here than thousands in the UK.

Tech companies use a similar philosphy. When I lived in NZ & worked in the IT industry we often got the very latest high tech hardware and software products before they were released world wide. The market was tiny but users were very tech savvy so international release was often based on the success or failures there.

UK driver here - the undertray on my EV4 failed this morning whilst driving uphill at 70mph on the motorway. I've phoned three different MG offices and all of them say it might not be covered by warranty and that I have a 2 month wait for an appointment in any case to get it seen. I'm going to check if I have a dip/bulge and mention the MG Australia bulletin because it's a very real possibly that air entering the undertray has put too much downward pressure on the part and caused it to snap near the fixings which is also the thinnest part of the undertray.

Last edited:
It's a pity you didn't know that you had the warp before this happened, but there's plenty evidence that it's a reconised fault on these cars.

I'm actually more frustrated with the time I have to wait because the earliest appointment I could get (and have booked as I have little choice), is just over a month away.

I don't even mind paying to get it fixed and putting in a speculative warranty claim after the event but now I'm going to have to do some sort of gaffer tape job until next month when it's booked in to be seen. I've done over 13,000 miles since last May and it's been the same journey most days so in my mind there is no doubt that it should be fixed under warranty as I have absolutely not hit or run over anything which would have cause the type of failure I experienced.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back