MG4 vs alternatives

avdb

Novice Member
Reaction score
MG4 looks good with nice features and low price but is made by saic.

Are there any alternatives you would consider (or wait for from other manufactures)?

if MG4 did not exist, i would consider the new smart #1, but i think the price will be too high
or i would have probably bought an e-208 or an Opel Corsa-e
One of the model i'm most excited about is the Cupra UrbanRebel, but should be not before 2025

I find it amusing that we live in a Country that illegally invaded Iraq, wants to send asylum seekers illegally to Africa and literally invented the slave trade (many years ago, admittedly) yet people look at SAIC/Chinese Government as we're somehow better than them?!

I'm not condoning what China is/has done, but the UK are not sin free either!

I find it amusing that we live in a Country that illegally invaded Iraq, wants to send asylum seekers illegally to Africa and literally invented the slave trade (many years ago, admittedly) yet people look at SAIC/Chinese Government as we're somehow better than them?!

I'm not condoning what China is/has done, but the UK are not sin free either!
If you are going to bring politics and history into a car forum at least have the decency to get it right.
The Portuguese, in the 16th century, were the first to buy slaves from West African slavers and transport them across the Atlantic.
Slavery has existed in some form or other since long before that, ancient Egypt, China, Greece and Roman Empire to name but a few.

So just to re-iterate, we did not literally invent the slave trade

Last edited:
To stay on topic....

ID3/Cupra Born
Nissan Leaf v2

Apparently:
E208
Corsa e

The latter I find probably too small.

Nissan leaf I dismissed because no liquid cooling on the battery. But I think it's a nice car. Seemingly I'm on my own there according to reviews

I'm have second thoughts on the MG4 just because I've gone for Trophy spec and with the Tri paint. SE LR with free paint and 360 camera would have been enough for me but obviously they know that the add-ons will prob tip more people to the Trophy.

I don't agree with the Corsa/208 comparison as these are both B segment vehicles - what it actually shows is that they are overcharging!

The question a few seem to be missing is "why can MG sell this for £26k - £31k but others can't?"

It could be argued that other OEMs are fleecing their customers....

It could be MG are making minimal profit/breaking even to get their Brand established with some marketshare. Almost a loss-leader type affair.

Thanks for all suggestions.

How about the Mini EV? Current Mini has a low range but I read somewhere a new one should be out next year?

Thanks for all suggestions.

How about the Mini EV? Current Mini has a low range but I read somewhere a new one should be out next year?
How about ask on a Mini forum as it’s obvious from your first post you’re not gonna get an MG due to SAIC owning them
Just a little food for thought on your Mini
The glass , brake callipers and Etac and radio systems all come from China 😉
Don’t ask how I know but I do ,

It could be MG are making minimal profit/breaking even to get their Brand established with some marketshare. Almost a loss-leader type affair.
Agreed, just like the First gen Bugatti Veyron which VW supposedly made a loss on everyone it sold🙂

How about ask on a Mini forum as it’s obvious from your first post you’re not gonna get an MG due to SAIC owning them
Hey! But at least the wiring harness comes from Ukraine 😉

Also do you own an iPhone or fly one of DJI's drones (the best consumer drones... in the world). Then welcome to superior quality Chinese products.
Quality is not an issue.
Politics is a different matter, and it's your choice whether to take any stance based on what limited (and it will be, because it always is) information you have gathered.

I don’t want to turn this into another political discussion, all I’m telling you is don’t believe everything you read in the MSM, it’s all a smearing and demonising campaign against China started by Trump due to the fear of the US losing its hegemon!
Plenty of independent media on YouTube to prove it.
The best way is to visit China for holiday, see for yourself, i guarantee it will be one of the best holidays you’ll ever have. And you’ll come back realising all the nasty things you hear about China were lies!
I go to the Far East almost every year, China, HK, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia, that’s also my order of preference. 😊

Hey! But at least the wiring harness comes from Ukraine 😉
And that shut Mini plant down for 3 months along with a strike by Hellman dispatch workers who run the final wear house for parts storage and sort them for the production line

I don't agree with the Corsa/208 comparison as these are both B segment vehicles - what it actually shows is that they are overcharging!

The question a few seem to be missing is "why can MG sell this for £26k - £31k but others can't?"

It could be argued that other OEMs are fleecing their customers....
I think they could sell for a similar price and still make a profit.
But as a business where demand outstrips demand they are doing the right thing, they are using price to control demand, so they maximise profits. MG are disrupting the market and struggling to control demand through lack of supply. I think you shall see MG,s prices slowly increasing over the next few years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom