MG4 vs Ora Cat šŸ˜³

Cloggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Tell you whatā€¦ How pleased am I that I ordered an MG4 over the Ora Catā€¦ After watching a plethora of videos on it today, I can only conclude I have made the right decisionā€¦

Marmite looks
Poor range/battery size
Price

Iā€™m some with choose style over substance, but Iā€™ll stick with my choice thanks šŸ‘šŸ»

And that boot size as well. I had considered it a year ago, but now finding out about the price, range, handling, etc; Iā€™ll be sticking with the MG4.

Virtually no dealer network either. Of course it may not come with an oil leak, underbody air intake, characterful software etc

If Ora had delivered a year ago at the price, range and specification they originally said they would, then Iā€™m sure they would have sold loads. The reviews a year ago were promising.

However, with a delay of a year, a big price increase and a big reduction in range I donā€™t understand what they are up to. Someone dropped the ball.

I don't hate how it looks (except the back end - butt ugly :ROFLMAO:). Interior looks nice, and a great amount of kit in there (inc. stuff that MG aren't including on the 4, like one-pedal driving and voice control). Three-phase charging (11kW only?) seems to be supported, which is a welcome addition.

The main problems for me are the boot (way too small) and the price. Straight away I'm looking at it and thinking that while all of the faux leather and tech is nice, it's Ā£5k more than the MG4 SR SE. Big value issue right there. The original price was supposed to be Ā£25k. I think they could have gone to Ā£27k or Ā£28k without much trouble. But Ā£32k is nonsense. Also, goes without saying that there's an element of "buyer beware" as it's a new brand without a wide dealership network.

11kW 3-phase is ~26A from a 415v 3-phase supply. (~240V per phase). So that'll be what the converter is rated for.

I like the Ora Cat - if it was down to style alone, I'd choose it over anything in the MG line-up. Whilst the price is a fair bit higher than had been hinted at first, it's not the dealbreaker for me as it's well enough equipped - not every choice in life is purely down to cost.

The boot size is what I cannot overlook - way too small.

I gathered from the various review videos that the (only) version coming to the UK (currently) is the First Edition - what's in that comparison link as the 300 PRO.

Spec-wise it would be like an MG4 Trophy SR. Taking Ā£2,500 (the difference between the SE versions) off the Trophy price gives Ā£28,995, so the Funky Cat (at Ā£31,995) is Ā£3k more expensive for a similar spec (and smaller battery).

I gathered from the various review videos that the (only) version coming to the UK (currently) is the First Edition - what's in that comparison link as the 300 PRO.

Spec-wise it would be like an MG4 Trophy SR. Taking Ā£2,500 (the difference between the SE versions) off the Trophy price gives Ā£28,995, so the Funky Cat (at Ā£31,995) is Ā£3k more expensive for a similar spec (and smaller battery).
Sorry, link from Treasure Ireland :)

I like the Ora Cat - if it was down to style alone, I'd choose it over anything in the MG line-up. Whilst the price is a fair bit higher than had been hinted at first, it's not the dealbreaker for me as it's well enough equipped - not every choice in life is purely down to cost.

The boot size is what I cannot overlook - way too small.
From what I am lead to believe, this thing is the equivalent to ā‚¬13,000 in China?

Granted, it may not have all the bells and whistles on that the UK variant does, but that is some price hike!

Perhaps if it had come in under Ā£25,000, then it wouldā€™ve flown off the forecourts, but at Ā£32,000 it is frankly ridiculous!

I liked this comment in Auto Express about the Oraā€¦..

ā€The infotainment system is light years ahead of VWā€™s laggy set-up, although some key features are hidden, which is frustrating. Especially when Ora insists on fitting a sensitive driver-attention monitor that shouts if you take your eyes off the road.ā€.

Sounds familiar to MG4 driversā€¦ā€¦.

Really wanted to like the Cat, and at the start of 2022 was super interested. But after delay and price annocment it was pretty dead to me.

Back in 2021 everyone was talking about 200+ miles at Ā£25k and sounded good. Especially as it looked different. But the MG4 got there first for value, simple as that and then they changed the battery size and price killing it completely.

Could over look the price if the range was amazing or was available a couple months ago. They have waited to long.

I liked this comment in Auto Express about the Oraā€¦..

ā€The infotainment system is light years ahead of VWā€™s laggy set-up, although some key features are hidden, which is frustrating. Especially when Ora insists on fitting a sensitive driver-attention monitor that shouts if you take your eyes off the road.ā€.

Sounds familiar to MG4 driversā€¦ā€¦.
According to Late Brake Show's review, the sensor also uses facial recognition to set the drive mode, A/C & Infotainment to your preferences.

After watching a couple of the reviews, I felt it was a more competitive offering. The lack of a decent dealer network and recognised brand name will be an issue. But it's a similar price to the trophy. Yes it's smaller, yes the battery is smaller. But the style and, from what I can see, quality of interior materials, will appeal to a lot of people. In the same way the Fiat 500 and Mini massively outsell better value offerings.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back