MG4 vs Tesla Model 3

smartn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I've owned an MG4 Trophy for just over a year and am generally happy with it now I have R46 software and am learning to live with the LKA. I'm not overly impressed by MG UK and the dealership experience but hopefully if I keep the MG I will not need to use the dealers too much.

I've always wanted a Tesla Model 3 (I had my name down in the very first pre-order many years ago) but have always felt the price was too high. Now used Model 3s are a decent price I finally went out for a test drive this morning and have come back feeling a bit underwhelmed. I took out a dual motor long range and although I felt it was a good car it did feel a bit unrefined.

I'd be interested in anyone who has considerable experience of both the MG4 and Model 3 to sum up the pros and cons of each. It was only a short test drive so I'm considering hiring one for a few days from Hertz to see if I get a more positive vibe but have to say getting back in the MG I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything other than the Tesla supercharger network.

Interesting as that was my immediate reaction as well on getting into the Model 3. I had to adjust the steering wheel and lower the seat quite a bit. The small boot opening is far from ideal too. Model Y would answer those problems I guess but then it's a ton more cash again.

Looks like Tesla are bringing a smaller hatch out next year although I'm not sure I like its looks and the boot space is probably non-existent looking at the picture.

It's a sort of Fiesta or Polo sized thing, which is fine for people who want a Fiesta or Polo sized thing. But what I want, and what I think Tesla are completely failing to recognise a lot of people want, is a sort of Focus or Golf sized thing.
And a hatchback

It's a sort of Fiesta or Polo sized thing, which is fine for people who want a Fiesta or Polo sized thing. But what I want, and what I think Tesla are completely failing to recognise a lot of people want, is a sort of Focus or Golf sized thing.

I was thinking it would be more Golf sized. Can't see the US market going for anything smaller.

Hello!

I have both of them in my driveway! (A RWD model 3 and a 51kWh MG4), both from 2023 The MG4 has already covered 3000 km, while the Tesla has logged 7000.

I can’t really compare though, not the same price tag, not the same size, not the same range and charging speed.

But believe it or not but I find the MG4 at least as exciting to drive, because it really behaves like a hot hatch, not as fast as the Tesla but who cares.

From an objective point of view, the Tesla is well ahead in terms of “everything”: range, charging speed, surpercharger network, infotainment… but it also has its flaws.

The Autopilot is on another level but also has its glitches… and the main drawback to me is Elon Musk himself and his policies. For example, out of the blue, a recent limitation came up on the autopilot: after 5 strikes (e.g. five disconnections due to improper usage), the autopilot may get deactivated for a week.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    855.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    582.4 KB · Views: 106
Looks like Tesla are bringing a smaller hatch out next year although I'm not sure I like its looks and the boot space is probably non-existent looking at the picture.

That's not its looks - that is an artist's guess at what it will look like.

What do we know:
  • Elon didn't want to produce it but was persuaded (he wanted autonomous compact only)
  • Elon has described it recently as "utilitarian" and very basic
  • Teslas already have awkward looks and are extremely "spare" in the interior.

None of this is giving me a good feeling that this will be a desirable car.

Tesla: Great technology, amazing factories, poor range of cars.

Ive looked at both again recently.

Although Tesla charging, network, image, styling is great.... I’ve stuck with MG4.

Tesla suspension is way to crashy if you live in the countryside. The interior build is glued together and doesn’t last well. Creaks and groans with age. Teslas go wrong and Tesla charge like a wounded animal.

MG4, massively better ride quality. Drives like a hot hatch. Very planted and great low down weight. Good interior space. Amazing turning circle. Dealers can be a bit patchy but by and large any issues Ive had have been sorted. I've a Trophy so enough toys and decent enough screen.

OK MG4 styling is a bit..... mmmm you know. Interior is basic but well screwed together. Cabin and boot space very useable. App control getting better. Residual values less volatile.

I love the idea of a Tesla but common sense keeps me with an MG4. Its just a nicer experience on the road.

@tsedge I wouldn't say Tesla has a poor range of cars.

Tesla is not a luxury or premium brand; it's a technological company.

Teslas are designed with cost savings in mind. Teslas are more economical to manufacture and that, to the customer, means fewer buttons and sensors, but this is often taken to the extreme.

However, these cars continually improve as their software is updated.

For instance, last year, they removed the ultrasound park sensors and replaced them with… guess? NOTHING. For a few months, Teslas left the factory without any sort of park assistance, only the promise of a future system based on cameras. The first iterations were real crap. But a couple of months ago, they came up with an update providing a stunning 3D modeling of the surroundings.

When you purchase a Tesla, you must embrace this mindset: you are acquiring a product in constant development, essentially becoming a beta tester. On the positive side, your car will enhance over time. On the downside, you are essentially buying Elon’s promises, with some, like full self-driving, possibly never being fulfilled.

Elon Musk is probably halfway between a fraudster and a visionary… That makes him a good car salesman!

@tsedge I wouldn't say Tesla has a poor range of cars.
Tesla have only a single car (M3) that is anywhere near a reasonable price point. This single offering is a saloon. How else would you describe this as anything other than a "poor range" when other makers offer a variety of models with different body shapes and car sizes for the same money or less?

(The Model S, X and Y are irrelevant for most people, they are not at a reasonable price point, plus only Y is currently available in RHD).
Tesla is not a luxury or premium brand; it's a technological company.
Last time I checked, most of its income comes from selling cars. Until that changes, it is principally a car company.
Teslas are designed with cost savings in mind. Teslas are more economical to manufacture and that, to the customer, means fewer buttons and sensors, but this is often taken to the extreme.
Indeed - which is fine when there's no competition. But now there is - and I can get my indicator stalk, wiper stalk, driver's display, CarPlay, etc... from many alternative makers.
However, these cars continually improve as their software is updated.
Not in the ways that matter to me. I wish MG had as slick a software update solution to fix bugs, but no Tesla update is going to give me the things I want from the car.
For instance, last year, they removed the ultrasound park sensors and replaced them with… guess? NOTHING. For a few months, Teslas left the factory without any sort of park assistance, only the promise of a future system based on cameras. The first iterations were real crap. But a couple of months ago, they came up with an update providing a stunning 3D modeling of the surroundings.
This is indeed a good example of what's wrong with their focus - working parking sensors matter much more than 3d models, indeed I have never seen the point of a 3d model display in any car. I look out at the road to see what is going on.
When you purchase a Tesla, you must embrace this mindset: you are acquiring a product in constant development, essentially becoming a beta tester. On the positive side, your car will enhance over time. On the downside, you are essentially buying Elon’s promises, with some, like full self-driving, possibly never being fulfilled.
Which is why I don't have one, they are not focused on a better driver experience - but instead on Elon's priorities which tend to be making more profits and ever greater scale, which are not mine.
Elon Musk is probably halfway between a fraudster and a visionary… That makes him a good car salesman!
Yes, though I predict he is really going to struggle in Europe with his current poor product range.

All the Elon-geeks already have Teslas. Normal people are not going to care about him or his vision but they are going to freak out about the strange idiosyncratic decisions in his cars - and increasingly buy other makes.

I'm sure Tesla will still grow, but nothing like as fast as the past nor the Chinese.

It's a blind spot for him, exacerbated by his US location which is distorting priorities (like building the Cybertruck).

He thinks he can sell anything he thinks is cool. But the more cars Tesla sell, the more they need to appeal to the average person, not the bleeding edge.

Last edited:
MG4, massively better ride quality. Drives like a hot hatch. Very planted and great low down weight. Good interior space. Amazing turning circle. Dealers can be a bit patchy but by and large any issues Ive had have been sorted. I've a Trophy so enough toys and decent enough screen.

I love the idea of a Tesla but common sense keeps me with an MG4. Its just a nicer experience on the road.

This pretty much sums up my experience following the test drive of the Tesla. I was expecting to like the Tesla a lot more but felt the general drive and ride quality of the MG stood up against it remarkably well and apart from the sheer speed of the Tesla I think i prefer the MG. Think I need to drive the Tesla more though to build a better informed opinion.

@tsedge

You’ve highlighted an important aspect: Teslas are built and designed for geeks. Not necessarily for the average consumer.

If you settle with their perspectives, sometimes taken to the extreme, if you’re ready to understand how it works, you will have a car with amazing features, but if you just want a no brainer, you’d better steer clear of Tesla.

The Model 3 is a good car, it is well equipped, efficient, reliable but it is not perfect, there are still “phantom braking” issues with the autopilot, automatic wipers and high beam are sometimes annoyingly sluggish to react, and relying only on the touchscreen is not as swift as pressing a button. There are many good reasons not to buy it…

MG took a much more conservative approach and the MG4 stands out as an excellent car as well; there are several paths to the truth!

This pretty much sums up my experience following the test drive of the Tesla. I was expecting to like the Tesla a lot more but felt the general drive and ride quality of the MG stood up against it remarkably well and apart from the sheer speed of the Tesla I think i prefer the MG. Think I need to drive the Tesla more though to build a better informed opinion.
Yes both have an excellent ride quality.
I also find the MG4 to be more spirited, you can feel the wheels spinning a bit before the ESP comes into action if you’re a wee bit enthusiastic, there is this hot hatch feeling.

On the other side, the model 3 really shines on the motorway, the autopilot is way way better!

I replaced my 7 month old trophy with used dual motor model 3.

Wouldn't go back although neither are perfect. It's all about which compromises fit you better.

Build quality - not much in it I guess both creak and shudder over road imperfections. Ride firmer on M3 which is annoying until you get to a few corners where it then shines.

Being AWD and electric is remarkable, very confidence inspiring getting out of side roads, short on slips etc.

I prefer traction control in Tesla, no real slip with AWD and no major cuts in power leaving you sitting , waiting to pick up speed again if you are too greedy!

Faster charging, better routing including charge stops.

I enjoyed the 4 as a car but as a package the M3 is way ahead with software integration, even if there are some issues now and then. The electronics package/drivetrain is much more refined.

Wipers are a joke on the M3 needing quite a lot of intervention but on a daily basis that is about the only annoyance.

The app is sweet, so much control and no real issues. Booking service via it is so simple, got an appointment within 48hours not 2-3 weeks like MG

Software updates without visiting the dealer are great.

I separate Tesla from Musk so I couldn't care less about him. Like you have to separate MG from SAIC otherwise you wouldn't buy one of them I guess.

So there you go, wouldn't go back, nothing wrong with MG4 apart from software and overly sensitive driver aids. I've had everything turned on on M3 and not had one unexpected Neck jarring emergency stop around town at all which was the final straw for me and MG4 when picking my daughter up after tooth extraction.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back