MG4 X-Power Orders & Delivery

The old "put it in second" didn't work in my Golf either, much to my chagrin. Although the DSG appeared to let you select the gear manually - and usually did - it flat refused to let me select second when I was stationary. I was quite cross, because believing that that was possible was one of the reasons I decided to go with the DSG.

I put winter tyres on the thing and the issue went away instantly. There wasn't a pile of snow these tyres couldn't climb in whatever gear the DSG made up its mind to use. I'm pretty much hoping the same will be true of the MG4.

Had it for a week and a day. Average speed for about 8mph (school run). Hopefully get a proper drive in half term. Working with the dealer to find a solution for the under tray sag. They've been bloody good so far, and if they fix it, I'll be raving about it in here.
Only real annoyance is that you have to turn on OPD every day (School run, remember), and that "Custom" doesn't remember it's settings.
Also, i'm not convinced sport mode will work in the snow. I got four wheel spin on wet grass trying to reverse on a slope.
I've always wondered how EVs would handle snow (as the torque is there from 0rpm). I'll try snow mode next time.
... but hey, thanks for asking ☺️
All in all, I love it, but want to get out into some country lanes.
Every time I'm out in the car at the minute I'm having the same conversation in my head:

"This will be so much better in the MG4"

"But the other half doesn't know what it can do yet and almost certainly won't like it"

"Yes but both I and the kids very much did on the test drive and so she'll be outnumbered"

"You are going to be told off"

"Which will be so much better in the MG4"

Any current owners got any tips for introducing the performance of the machine to anyone who is unaware? For everyone's safety my wife can't find out when she puts her foot down for the first time :eek:

Maybe a country lane better than the school run!

Every time I'm out in the car at the minute I'm having the same conversation in my head:

"But the other half doesn't know what it can do yet and almost certainly won't like it"

"Yes but both I and the kids very much did on the test drive and so she'll be outnumbered"

Any current owners got any tips for introducing the performance of the machine to anyone who is unaware? For everyone's safety my wife can't find out when she puts her foot down for the first time :eek:

OK step 1 : get the dealer to remove the orange caliper covers.
Step 2: actually, that's about it.
It's a complete sleeper until you floor it.
My oldest daughter knows what it can do, the rest of the family have no idea.
Just get the **** caliper covers removed before you pick it up. (Hide them in the loft somewhere)

Sounds as if Mrs Seaton91 is liable to floor the pedal without realising what the result will be. I can see this might be problematic.

Just explain to her that electric cars have a lot of torque and she should go easy on the accelerator until she's used to it? In an off-hand sort of way?

My wife doesnt drive but I have already warned her of the power when we do get the car...her response:

"so I take it my stomach will be in the back seats everytime we drive?"

and i'm like, "Yep, well not all the time...probably most of the time :)"

Just get the **** caliper covers removed before you pick it up. (Hide them in the loft somewhere)
Sleeper is what I'm aiming for via grey paint- caliper covers looked like they'd come off with a hex even?

Our kids are unaware it's the XPower we've ordered so will be a surprise for them too. The middle of our 3 is going to lose his mind- don't think my wife would twig with the caliper covers but he certainly will (he's 6 in a month😆)

The thing that made the decision for me was how 'normal' it felt on the test drive with a 'normal' right foot. No clue about the other universe you could find yourself in until we hit a national speed limit.

How did you know we had a loft?!

Sounds as if Mrs Seaton91 is liable to floor the pedal without realising what the result will be. I can see this might be problematic.

Just explain to her that electric cars have a lot of torque and she should go easy on the accelerator until she's used to it? In an off-hand sort of way?
It's the accidental nature of the above that I think definitely needs addressing. Problematic could become pretty dangerous in considerably less than 3.7seconds.

She's used to the ID.3 but this is a whole different kettle of fish.

I'll come clean but shall wait for a fortuitous time (pre- delivery of car though!)

My wife used to drive Scooby when in NZ. Again a comfortable quiet ride, until you put your foot down.
OK Scooby was "only" 205kw, but you get the idea.

Sleeper is what I'm aiming for via grey paint- caliper covers looked like they'd come off with a hex even?

Our kids are unaware it's the XPower we've ordered so will be a surprise for them too. The middle of our 3 is going to lose his mind- don't think my wife would twig with the caliper covers but he certainly will (he's 6 in a month😆)

The thing that made the decision for me was how 'normal' it felt on the test drive with a 'normal' right foot. No clue about the other universe you could find yourself in until we hit a national speed limit.

How did you know we had a loft?!
Paint isn't required. Just take that covers off. You'll want to keep the original covers in case of sale. Hold off until Aliexpress starts selling aftermarket covers.
Mine is "Road dust grey" so looks totally unassuming.

Or................
Leave the covers on so the Yoof know what they are dealing with! 🤣🤣🤣

Or................
Leave the covers on so the Yoof know what they are dealing with! 🤣🤣🤣
I'm waiting for a black Xpower to be delivered next month. Gonna leave it as standard (mainly as it's a lease) might take the rear centre headrest off, but personally not fussed about the orange covers, it will give mine a slight bit of colour for a sleeper.

...........I've always wondered how EVs would handle snow (as the torque is there from 0rpm). I'll try snow mode next time...........
If they get it right (like Audi have here) seems like AWD EV's can be very good in the snow 👍:-

Last edited:
I wonder if it’s possible to put the wheel trim cover of the extended range directly onto the Xpower alloys, that’ll be perfect.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom