MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

UPDATE:

Car was booked in at dealership today to investigate the vibration issue.... they have advised that the brake discs are warped which is causing the issue. They have ordered new brakes but will take around 5-6 weeks for them to be delivered. It seems that warped discs can cause vibrations at high speeds, though usually when using the brakes.... so we shall wait and see whether this is the case.

If this is the cause, I wonder if its a faulty batch of rotors that were fitted to the XPowers, when you consider mine was built in August so seems a lot of people around similar build date (give/take a month or so).

Edit: just added additional info.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Car was booked in at dealership today to investigate the vibration issue....they have advised that the brake discs are warped which is causing the issue. They have ordered new brakes but will take around 5-6 weeks for them to be delivered. It seems that warped discs can cause vibrations at high speeds, though usually when using the brakes....so we shall wait and see whether this is the case.

If this is the cause, I wonder if its a faulty batch of rotors that were fitted to the XPowers, when you consider mine was built in August so seems a lot of people around similar build date (give/take a month or so).

Edit: just added additional info

I'm giving this quite a lot of Jimmy Chin to be honest.

Any sort of disc issue can usually be felt through the pedal on applying the brakes.

Yes, applying at high speeds (especially within the vibe zone in particular) and I've never noticed anything.

I will be looking for it next time out, that's for sure!

Be good to rule out something else though eh.

I know I don't have to ask but keep us informed 👍

Any sort of disc issue can usually be felt through the pedal on applying the brakes.
Yes this is my first thought too so I am keen to see whether it makes any difference or not. I checked on the MG app earlier today and it looks like they took it for a test run first but even still, its interesting that the brakes are warped considering I only had the car a month (which had 14 miles prior to handover).

Yup, will update once they have been fitted.

I will see though, that even though there is a vibration in the steering wheel, I can certainly feel it in the pedals and wheels too so you never know :D

On a side note....they gave me a Fiat 500 EV as a courtesy car and lets just say, I was happy to hand it back for the beast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been out for a decent drive this morning on mixed roads including motorways. The vibration is there but as I have mentioned previously not to a great extent. There is nothing through the pedals that I can detect, just in the car as a whole.
@Mennox I hope that the disc replacement works for you, that may be a separate issue that is affecting your car. However the more I drive the car, the more I think it is a drivetrain/suspension issue. There is a lot of road noise that is transmitted into the cabin as well, even before the hum/vibration starts. I don't rate the tyres at all but whether I will change them is doubtful.
However Im not letting any of these issues spoil what is a cracking car, which brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

From Lampymic in a PM this morning....

Today at 8:24 AM
Morning Bricktop1967,
Have you noticed any vibration, although vibration might be the wrong word possibly a buzzing sensation when reaching 68+ on the motorway? I really noticed it on Thursday on a quick trip down the M55, wondering if you’ve noticed anything seeing as you’ve had yours longer.

Cheers

Morning Mike
Yes I have m8.
I've mentioned it a few times in various posts.
I find it at anything between 65-75 mph.

Dealer knows nothing (obviously!)

I am still in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it.
I mean it's not terrible, but should a brand new car have anything like this?
I've never had another car start Vibing at me before.
This is the weekend when I decide whether to reject it or not.

From Lampymic

Thank you, I’ll start a thread on it when I get back from the picket line, today is a very expensive day off!
It’s interesting that you’ve got it too, it’s clearly an issue that dealers should be aware of. I’m going to give them a call to ask them to chase it up with MG, I’ll tell them I’m not happy with the car doing it and we shall see what happens.

To be honest LKA isn’t causing me that many issues at all, the roads around me are so poor it can’t detect the lane it’s supposed to be keeping me in!

I feel a bit bad not waiting for Lampymic to start this thread, but he's busy on a very worthy cause.
Any abuse will be gladly received.🤣

There are only a few of us with Xpowers at the moment but it already seems to be inherent in all of them

Interestingly, at 75mph it's almost non existent in my vehicle.
Now I of course realise, that I should not have to break the law in order to have a smoother, vibe free ride.....
"Yes officer, I do have to go a bit faster as my car has been hastily engineered to get it to market"

I have a Trophy. I get the same vibe at 65-70 mph. Almost but not quite like a mild wheel balance issue. Happy with the car otherwise so not yet reported it to my dealer because frankly I don't trust them, but that's another story.

@Mennox I hope that the disc replacement works for you, that may be a separate issue that is affecting your car.
That could well be the issue - I only drive on dual carriageway when going into work (once a week) and its only a 10 min run but after driving to work today, its certainly a stronger vibration compared to other reports of a slight vibration or a hum. I overtook a few cars today and even at cough 90mph cough, the vibration is still there so definitely think the warped rotors is causing it.

No doubt once they have been replaced, I will then get this vibration/hum :D

I saw on another thread that changing tyres to Michelin cc2 reduce the vibration noticeably.
Can I ask, what tyres do the Xpower come with from the factory?

My trophy model came with Conti's and so far they've been fine, no vibration at all up to 70mph, however I'm on 17" rims and I believe some models now come with 18's.

If it was a wheel/tyre balance issue, I expect it to get worse when going 70mph+ but without test tracks, etc. it's tricky to test this ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask, what tyres do the xpower come with from the factory?

My trophy model came with Conti's and do far they've been fine, no vibration at all up to 70mph, however I'm on 17" rims and I believe some models now come with 18's

If it was a wheel/tyre balance issue, I expect it to get worse when going 70mph+ but without test tracks, etc. it's tricky to test this ;)
Bridgestone Turanza 18" from factory.

MG Crawley re-balanced the fronts after I took it in a week ago due to the vibration. It kinda feels a bit better but as I don't do a lot of motorway driving, I'll need to give it a bit more time to test.

MY22 Trophy came with 17" Contis ... MY23 Trophy comes with 18" Bridgestones, same as the XPower I believe. MY23 Trophies don't have this vibration issue (AFAIK) so I suspect tyre type and/or balance is a red herring.

Oh it definitely is @tsedge!
I had read previously that the Chinese version of X Power had vibration issues and the first response was to re balance all the tyres.
Then when that failed, change the tyres, which also had little impact on the vibes.

And do you know what?
After reading all that, I still convinced myself it was the tyres!

It's not the tyres.

Anyhow, the vibes are still there even with the Michelins.
Very much reduced I have to point out, but still there, nontheless.

As I have mentioned before, tyre choice/brand is a very personal thing and we all have very differing criterion when it comes to the use of our vehicles and how hard (or not) we like to drive them.

I am " Hong Kong Phooey" the vast majority of the time whilst out and about.
(Honest Guv)

(A mild mannered Janitor I seem to recall?🤣)

But do have a "need for speed" when an opportunity presents itself, and will use all of the performance available, where possible.

Coming up to my 57th birthday, but still like to mix it up with "The Yoof" who continually insist on having a go.🤣

And before anyone has a dig.....
Graduate of The Jim Russell Racing Drivers School.
Ex Esso Petrol Tanker Driver.
Ex BMW Masters of Performance, Driver of the day winner.
Current Motorcycle rider with a, (at time of print) squeaky clean driver's licence.

There is a time and place for road based "fun" IMO. and not forgetting where I live, have plenty of opportunity to enjoy a car like the X Power.

You've just got to "pick your moments" to "deal with your opponents"

I mean who in their right mind would purchase a car capable of 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds, with 429 BHP on tap, and not occasionally deploy that potential?

I appear to have gone off topic...🤣

I look forward to ALL your comments. 👍

20231004_130349.jpg

Last edited:
But do have a "need for speed" when an opportunity presents itself, and will use all of the performance available, where possible.

Coming up to my 57th birthday, but still like to mix it up with "The Yoof" who continually insist on having a go.🤣

There is a time and place for road based "fun" IMO. and not forgetting where I live, have plenty of opportunity to enjoy a car like the X Power.

You've just got to "pick your moments" to "deal with your opponents"

I mean who in their right mind would purchase a car capable of 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds, with 429 BHP on tap, and not occasionally deploy that potential?

I look forward to ALL your comments. 👍
Absolutely agree, it's gotta be done!
😈🙂👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom