MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

This happens to one degree or another with many manufacturers.

A company will have a relatively small number of test mules/ prototypes/ pre-production cars on test.

Then when the vehicle goes into full production, there are suddenly thousands (or hundreds of thousands) on the road, each racking up thousands of miles in varying different conditions that may or may not have been simulated or replicated by the test team.

This may well identify issues that the test team did not encounter.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, thanks for dragging that up!!!

I stand by what I said (at the time) and agree with what you have written.

I'm over it now. (Honest)

It's not been (IMO) as big a deal for me as I thought it might become.

If they do develop a fix, then happy days, but until then, I will continue to drive around the issue and wait for the call to come into the dealer for the modification.👍

Having read the linked Australian article above, and considering there seems to be a lot more Xpower owners receiving their lease vehicles in the next few weeks does anyone think we should all email MG UK registering a complaint and requesting this damper fix ? The more that do so should mean we get an official response sooner or later, especially given the Australian stance.

I remember Audi RS3 owners (2012 model) doing the same about squealing brakes, and Audi UK eventually responded and replaced all pads and discs for all those that had registered a complaint free of charge.

Does anyone know the appropriate email address for MG UK or the head of MG UK to register our complaint ?

Having read the linked Australian article above, and considering there seems to be a lot more Xpower owners receiving their lease vehicles in the next few weeks does anyone think we should all email MG UK registering a complaint and requesting this damper fix ? The more that do so should mean we get an official response sooner or later, especially given the Australian stance.

I remember Audi RS3 owners (2012 model) doing the same about squealing brakes, and Audi UK eventually responded and replaced all pads and discs for all those that had registered a complaint free of charge.

Does anyone know the appropriate email address for MG UK or the head of MG UK to register our complaint ?
Count me in - strength in numbers

Hopefully this will be the case as the article mentions UK and customers abroad inputs. Fingers crossed its not just the Australia and New Zealand rhd markets.

Based on what we all sent to Audi I'm going to email/write something like this :-

"Dear MG UK,

I bought my MG4 Xpower from new in September 2023 from your official dealer #######.

Reg : #### ###
VIN No ###########

The car has now done over 1000 miles.

I am having a persistent and annoying problem with vibration feedback through the steering wheel at various speeds, noticebly at around 66-70mph in all conditions.

The article (link below) recognises the problem exists on all Xpowers and since I do a lot of motorway driving at 70mph it a very annoying and frustrating issue.

I understand this problem affects all MG4 Xpowers to some degree and I am also aware of at least 30 other MG4 Xpower owners with this problem (from an internet forum from where I got your email). There appears to be a growing number of unhappy MG4 Xpower owners with this problem but no official fix yet from MG. The MG internet forum has over 160 messages on this issue and every Xpower owner seems to be affected.

I would be grateful if you could register my complaint on this matter and confirm receipt of this email by return. Please advise me of any dates for an official MG fix for this problem and when I can take my car back to MG ####### for the official fix.

Many thanks"

And mines going "Oh, he wasn't making it up afterall"
I'm torn between:

A) feeling sorry for the dealers as seems like they have little first- hand experience of the vibration plus next to nothing that they could do about it in terms of parts/ knowledge/SAIC support

Or..

B) (particularly in cases like yours @Bricktop1967 and others who've been given short shrift) feeling like I'd relish the opportunity to go into branch in person with a big grin on my face and say "I told you so"

Great work @JonnyG on the draft email. You'll be on a few MG dartboards once the emails start pinging in!

I don't feel sorry for the dealership, they all have X Power demo models that they could take out and test. Even when I collected my car, there was an X Power in the car park being driven by a sales person and I mentioned, in an email a few days later, they should take it out, get it on the motorway at 70mph. I've still had no reply.

I hope this damper is for the vibration/hum and fixes it as most of my driving is dual carriageway/motorway.

I'm torn between:

A) feeling sorry for the dealers as seems like they have little first- hand experience of the vibration plus next to nothing that they could do about it in terms of parts/ knowledge/SAIC support

I don't feel sorry for the dealership

It's all a bit of a mess. The dealers are at the mercy of SAIC, but the customers have to try and persuade the dealers there is an issue that needs addressing.

Customers can face problems with products and services provided by many companies - it happens to the best of them - but it's how they deal with those issues and resolve them that makes the difference between a good company and a poor one.

Sadly, from what I've read regarding the 4, MG/ SAIC are lacking in this department.

From the monthly forum VLog, earlier in the week : I think @Les burrows asked @Miles Roberts CG to look into this, as Miles has a contact in MG/SAIC
Thanks for the info, please keep us posted via Miles

I have sent my email complaint off now too.

Has anyone had a reply yet ?

I've pdf'd the article in case anyone wants it as an attachment or to print it off. And just in case the link goes down !

Attachments

• Australian Article on Xpower.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 74
According to the site below so far this year 5,200 MG4 have been registered in the UK with a lot more worldwide. To get MG to even acknowledge and issue I would imagine you would need a certain percentage of owners to raise it (so at least 100's of owners rather than 10's). No idea how many of the registered MG4 are Xpower variants and MG would need to know if it is unique to the front motor only. Be interesting to see if the 4 wheel drive Cyberster has a similar issue as I assume it will use the same motors and setup as the Xpower

From the monthly forum VLog, earlier in the week : I think @Les burrows asked @Miles Roberts CG to look into this, as Miles has a contact in MG/SAIC
He did, the only advice forthcoming from MG UK was to check tyres in case they were the source, however this has already been eliminated by people's tests here. The MG Australia change is not one MG UK are seemingly aware of, at least not yet - but assuming this is an SAIC change I would expect it to filter through to other markets.

The other possibility is that the cars are actually different specifications between the markets, so an Australia change may not automatically apply (or be relevant) to the UK.

Or they are using the Australian market as a test bed for the change: after all they had to pause delivery in order to get the change applied as soon as possible. If it’s successful I’m sure it will be delivered globally

..... To get MG to even acknowledge and issue I would imagine you would need a certain percentage of owners to raise it (so at least 100's of owners rather than 10's)......

I hear you but if MG are already sending additional vibration dampers to Australia before any new XPowers are released over there then surely they must have acknowledged the issue ?

........ If it’s successful I’m sure it will be delivered globally

Lets hope so but my experience with previous issues like this in the UK is that only those that complained of the issue got the fix, as it (squealing Audi RS3 brakes in my case) wasn't a safety issue or recall.

At least it can be retrofit it, and Australia is also RHD, if worse comes to the worse, owners here could order this damper kit from Australia, it can’t be that hard to fit it yourself , right?

It's not a proper fix, it's a band aid covering up an inherent design fault.
Those front drive shaft UV joints will in all probability prematurely fail.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom