MG4 X-Power waiting area

Exactly my thinking, I just need the instant get up and go when I wanted to overtake someone quickly and safely.
I used to regularly drive on the Woodhead pass , know it like the back of my hand, but have never experienced any brake fades, guess it tells you how average I am as a driver and I thought I was hammering it, 😂 (It was in the 80s Renault 5 GT Turbo because I couldn’t afford Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9)

I think I’ll ran out of talent well before the car reaches its limit!
I had both the R5 Turbo (chipped to about 200bhp😇) and the 205 1.9… the 5 re wrote the book on torque steer 😳 but the 205…..! I wish I still had it ❤️

I had a 306 GTi6. Lovely car. Went into the scrappage scheme at 120,000 miles. Its aircon had failed and the garage said it wasn't worth what it would cost to fix it. Also, similar cars were going on eBay for £500 (with no mention of duff aircon) and the scrappage scheme was offering me £2,000.

MG4 XPower vs Audi e-tron GT – DRAG RACE and review! | What Car?​

Not sure about the handling with this amount of power

Great review!

Yes, that seems to dispel the negative comments, a great drive on the country roads, upgraded suspension etc, although the caliper covers do seem a bit OTT, maybe paint them pink. Shall check with insurance tomorrow :unsure: :eek:

I think the main concern I would have with this model is battery longevity, pulling 5c at full beans can't be good for it long term.
Ironically the drivetrain components will actually have an easier life than the standard Trophy in theory.
The car is a bit heavier but the load is now shared between the two so only around 900kg per motor/ gearbox to shift instead of 1650kg on the single drivetrain.

Agree about the silly plastic brake caliper covers though, would have thought they were cool when I was a teenager, not so much now.🤓

I think the main concern I would have with this model is battery longevity, pulling 5c at full beans can't be good for it long term.
Ironically the drivetrain components will actually have an easier life than the standard Trophy in theory.
The car is a bit heavier but the load is now shared between the two so only around 900kg per motor/ gearbox to shift instead of 1650kg on the single drivetrain.

Agree about the silly plastic brake caliper covers though, would have thought they were cool when I was a teenager, not so much now.🤓
Yeh the battery longevity could be an issue, but I doubt very much that I would use the launch into space option very much. Its more the advantages that 4 wheel drive can give a fast car on those windy roads. I mean, think of how many sheep you could scare on the Applecross road :).

In my experience so far, you'd have to be doing something fairly exceptional to scare a sheep in an EV. They just lie there, or stand there, and give me an incurious gaze, instead of scattering in panic under the wheels.

… the silly plastic brake caliper covers though, would have thought they were cool when I was a teenager, not so much now.🤓
It could well be the start of a new trend, fake calliper covers, we’ll soon see them on base models of every motor manufacturer 😆

The most popular trend at the moment are those swiping indicators, it’s so gimmicky, cheapens the car imo.

It could well be the start of a new trend, fake calliper covers, we’ll soon see them on base models of every motor manufacturer 😆

The most popular trend at the moment are those swiping indicators, it’s so gimmicky, cheapens the car imo.
Not as much as calliper covers does

Don’t rush to order one, first reviews are not great!
From what I've seen, the EV reviewers love it, but the ICE hot hatch reviewers don't.
Can't put my finger on why just yet... :sneaky:

If I got one, I'd remove the caliper covers for total stealth. They're the only external detail that tells onlookers it's not a standard Trophy.

Yup, they're seriously naff, would actually put me off buying a car fitted with them. BUT, I have noticed that even the average entitled Audi driver uses their scrolling blinkers at every opportunity !!
So funny because you know they've probably not had a sudden overnight improvement in their road etiquette and they're just trying to be noticed.

But hey, if it works it works (y)

I had red brake callipers on my Golf, it was one of the things that marked it out as a GTi, but they soon became quite dirty. So unless you're serious about cleaning the car they may not be noticed.

Also, the red details was a thing on the GTi. Cool red stripes on the bonnet, red-and-grey tartan seat fabric, and red stitching on the steering wheel. Even though the car was dark blue, it was a nice effect.

MG can't seem to decide what it's doing with the colour detail. I don't like a light blue car with orange-red brake covers and red seat stitching. Give me colour-co-ordinated brake covers or let me take them off.

Don’t rush to order one, first reviews are not great!
I must have seen all the youtube reviews on the xpower and std MG4s. I would say overall the reviews are very positive, including from some experience reviewers. Quotes like
“The MG4 is awesome” :

Same guy “ride is awesome”, “so much fun to drive”, “feels like you are driving a german car”, “super impressive” on base model!.

I also test drove the current Trophy and was so impressed I ordered the xpower. (I have test driven Kia EV6, Tesla model S, Jag I-pace. The first was too whiney, the last two good but too wide and expensive)

I just did a bit of research convincing myself that this MG4 XPower is the deal of the decade on £/bhp:

MG4 Xpower 3.7s 0-60 3.8s 0-62 mph £36.5k

Volvo EX30 3.6s 0-62 £41k

Porsche Taycan std 5.4s 0-62 £79k

Taycan 4S 4.0s £91k

Turbo 3.2s £126k

Turbo S 2.8s £148k

Audi e-tron 50 6.5s £59.5k

Audi e-tron GT 4.1s £85k

Tesla model Y perf 3.5s £60k

Kia EV6 GT 3.5s £62.5k

Hyundai Ioniq 5 N 3.5s £60k

Skoda Enyaq iV RS 6.5s £52.5k