MG4 X-Power waiting area

I was a little doubtful about the MG4's capability in that respect on paper
Let’s not forget the standard isn’t a slow car either, it’s up there with the i3 for nippiness.
EV is a different game too, with the responsiveness there whenever you need it. but there are a bunch of them that still are (usually the cheaper ones) comparatively sluggish on the acceleration so it’s not a given but the MG4 delivers even from the base model.

Would it be faster if you took off the twin spoilers which cause more drag and lessen the range of the trophy?
Theoretically yes, meaningfully no. Clearing out your boot and refusing passengers (ideally ditch their seats altogether) will have a bigger effect if you’re really trying to optimise it.

Let’s not forget the standard isn’t a slow car either, it’s up there with the i3 for nippiness.
EV is a different game too, with the responsiveness there whenever you need it. but there are a bunch of them that still are (usually the cheaper ones) comparatively sluggish on the acceleration so it’s not a given but the MG4 delivers even from the base model.

Absolutely. My SE SR is as nippy as I want it most of the time. I've put smiles on a few passengers' faces. Only once, when I decided to overtake a second car on a long straight stretch, I noticed that it wasn't quite delivering what the GTi would have delivered in that situation. It wasn't a problem - it had enough to complete the manoeuvre and there we were. And it's not something I want it to do every day.

I had a long annual session with my pension manager this week and she told me to stop being so nervous about spending. I'm happy as Larry with my SR right now, and my intention has always been to keep it till it falls apart. But I suppose in a year or two if people who have the X-Power are very happy with it and the inevitable bugs have been ironed out, I could think about a trade-in. (But only if they'll take these spoilers off!)

Theoretically yes, meaningfully no. Clearing out your boot and refusing passengers (ideally ditch their seats altogether) will have a bigger effect if you’re really trying to optimise it.
Merci. Brettus I am going to reference your post to my wife when she asks " where's my seat gone," will you be in trouble!

Today you can by a 3 second car for a realistic price you could use as an everyday runabout for fun. Many time the 3 second to 60mph will be used.
And that is an issue because it's so competitively priced they'll be some buying it that do not have the experience of driving such a fast accelerating car. Either that they will be scared of it and just poddle around, which is a complete waste.

And that is an issue because it's so competitively priced they'll be some buying it that do not have the experience of driving such a fast accelerating car. Either that they will be scared of it and just poddle around, which is a complete waste.
Dang, that’s a hot take. 🔥

Oh for goodness sake. You sound like certain beard-scratchers when I traded my Fiesta 1.1L in for an XR2, just before Christmas 1993. The Fiesta had just failed its MoT, I had been nervous about driving it north anyway, I'd already been scoping out a replacement (I think I got one of the last XR2s ever made), I'd just been made a partner in the business, and my new business partner had gone off on holiday. I ordered the car, then told him what I'd done.

He reluctantly agreed I needed a new car and probably couldn't have done anything else but buy the thing, but then I got a Dutch Uncle lecture about not being used to such a fast car and that could get away with you and you need to be careful you know.

I took delivery the afternoon of the work Christmas do and drove it to the restaurant with a big grin on my face. Two days later I set off A24-M25-M40-M6-M74 and home, and it was flying, and I was absolutely enthralled. I think one can get used to a fast-accelerating car pretty damn quickly.

Maybe too quickly. It wasn't all that long before I had eleven points on my licence and had to moderate my behaviour quite a bit. That was the trouble with the XR2, the cops would stop me on suspicion of being a boy racer, mind your lip. But I never lost my licence. My next car was even faster, but it was a "stealth" model, and the cops stopped pulling me over.

Maybe too quickly. It wasn't all that long before I had eleven points on my licence and had to moderate my behaviour quite a bit. That was the trouble with the XR2, the cops would stop me on suspicion of being a boy racer, mind your lip. But I never lost my licence. My next car was even faster, but it was a "stealth" model, and the cops stopped pulling me over.
This is why my MG4 Trophy is blue, not orange.
I didn't want the police mistaking my car for a racey-boi Focus ST and pulling me over "for a chat".

Just heard from the dealer in Crewe the xpower demonstrator has just been unloaded from the transporter. 🥳 I’m unfortunately on cover today and away for the weekend so can’t try it till Monday now but mentioning it in case anyone else is interested, ask for Dean.

20230721_101554.jpeg
20230721_101332.jpeg
20230721_101344.jpeg
20230721_101336.jpeg
20230721_101538.jpeg
20230721_101546.jpeg
20230721_101530.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't want the police mistaking my car for a racey-boi Focus ST and pulling me over "for a chat".
If you want a chat with PC Plod paint the doors white and put a blue light on top! A bit retro perhaps but you might get some people moving over for you.

Oh, don't remind me. One evening on the A24 I was just trying to get to choir practice in my XR2, and a big white (unmarked) Vauxhall Senator started hazing me. Overtaking at speed so close that if I'd had another coat of paint on it would have touched me, then braking and sitting on my bonnet. This went on for several miles and I thought the driver was a nut. I didn't twig, because the driving was so bad.

This was during the time I had 11 points on my licence, so I was being a very good girl indeed. I didn't do anything illegal at all during that rather weird ride. Then finally, at Leatherhead, the white Senator overtook me in a rush and sprouted police stop lights, just as another identical car behind me also sprouted police stop lights. I hadn't realised there were two of them. A couple of policemen came over and gave me a telling-off. Apparently they had construed my moving into the lane they were in at Dorking (where the road went from three lanes to two) as carving them up. (I had noticed their car being very unaccommodating - neither holding back to let me in, or putting on a spurt to give me space to get into the lane behind them. Being in a fast car I had chosen to go in front, but I hadn't broken the speed limit (which was 40) then or later.)

The ostensible reason for pulling me over was that I had "overtaken on the inside". Absolute rubbish. The traffic was moving in two choc-a-bloc lanes, approaching a roundabout, and I knew from previous experience that the left-hand lane would move faster, so chose it. It is absolutely legal to "overtake" on the inside in that situation and it says so in the highway code.

I was seriously tempted to lose my cool, because the police driving had been atrocious and I hadn't done anything wrong, but I didn't want to give them any excuse to ask to see my driving licence. So I put on my best demure lady driver act and very sorry officer and no I will never do this again officer and so on, and finally they waved me on my way.

This was in about 1994, well before dash-cams. My God, if I'd had dash-cam footage of that I'd have been on to the Surrey Chief Constable.

When I bought my Golf the first car I looked at was the Focus ST. I remember one online review where the reviewer first expressed some distaste for a car that was named after a sanitary towel, and then said that the very best thing about this car was that it also came in blue!

Member from Speak EV had a test drive.

Had just come in 2 days ago and had not been driven by anyone at the dealership as yet. I was more than happy to break the car in!
Racing Green matt colour. Not a fan of green but looked good. It is a handsome car overall. Nice interior. Comfortable. I like the fact there is no "Start/Stop" button to press. Foot on brake, put it in D mode and off you go.
Impressed with the ride.Perfect for UK roads. I was expecting it to feel too harsh or rigid but felt very comfortable. Happy that it had a proper 1 pedal drive mode a la i3 and my Ioniq 5. Responsive enough touch screen infotainment and clear to read. Seemed to have plenty of menus to adjust things but I guess when you set it up how you like it, you can then leave that stuff alone.
Comfortable seats (and plenty spacious in the rear when tested back at the dealership ). USB-C sockets front and rear and I liked the seat back pockets had mobile phone pockets at the back of the front seats - big enough to hold my Max size iPhone. Wired Apple Car play available.

As an owner of an Ariel Atom and having experienced a Tesla M3P, this thing is FAST!! But then 435PS and 600 Nm of torque (the latter is the same as my Ioniq 5 but my I5 is A LOT heavier) will do that!. Seemed to have a nice rear bias to the shove so barely any torque steer. As good from 0mph as it was from 70mph although a little down at 70mph obviously. Very direct and responsive steering. Basically a sleeper. Looks "handsome" but fun to drive and at this price, an astoundingly fast car. And being "normal" sized for UK roads and more reasonably weighted at (a still quite heavy!) 1.8 tonnes, nice and agile.

The downsides for me. No pano roof. But apart from that it seems fully featured with V2L, heated seats and steering wheel and all the rest.

But the biggie is the 64kWh battery of which 61.8 kWh is useable. WLTP is 239 miles. And I always say take 50 miles off this to get a "real world" value so sub 200 miles. Not terrible by any means, but a 77 kWh battery, although being heavier and a touch slower, will be the one to have. But of course it is not available with that battery...yet. The dealership had this new "Extended Range" 77kWh Trophy in the showroom and was in the nice Holborn Blue colour. Apart from the wheels and brake pistons, cannot really tell them apart.
Discounts available from the off with the X-Power, so £35,730 + extra if you go for one of the colours. The green is £800- the most expensive. Couple of free colours. Servicing pack £275 for 3 years. 1 year or 15,000 mile service intervals. £250 refundable deposit. 12-16 wait time.

Efficiency was 2.8mi/kWh on my test drive. 21 degC. Dry conditions. A/C was on. Only 25 minutes test drive or so but a range of roads and speeds. 175 mile range at that efficiency. Similar to our e-208, which is a similar price...

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Seems to be mostly positive apart from the potentially low range, but we expected that!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom