MG4 X-Power waiting area

I had a Mk 6 GTi in 2009 and I think the Mk6 R was also out at the time, because I was making a direct comparison. But the GTi was quick enough and as I'd started to take part in a car-sharing lift-to-choir-practice and was also living nearer family, I was under pressure to get a 5-door car. (My previous cars had all been 3-door without issue, but circumstances change.)

But in 2009 the R was 3-door only so that fits with what you're saying. At least it was a face-saver on the GTi forum, where getting an R was extra kudos point. Can't do it lads, family pressure insists on a 5-door!

They went 5dr only around 2018 IIRC and then DSG gearbox only. Now only 3 colour choices with the Mk 8. You could get 5dr Mk 6 R’s from 2010 onwards. Before that I had a 2008 5dr Mk 5 R32.

DSG….distinctly s*** gearbox.
First had it in 2005 on my A3 sport back., no option if you wanted S-line as it came in a pack.
Hated it.
Went for it again in my 2021 polo Gti, thinking ‘it’s bound to have improved since 2005’
Nope, still crap, got rid of the car within 5 months.
Awful awful awful awful awful gearbox.

DSG….distinctly s*** gearbox.
First had it in 2005 on my A3 sport back., no option if you wanted S-line as it came in a pack.
Hated it.
Went for it again in my 2021 polo Gti, thinking ‘it’s bound to have improved since 2005’
Nope, still crap, got rid of the car within 5 months.
Awful awful awful awful awful gearbox.
There have been different versions and technologies used - with mixed results. My 2017 Golf GTi Performance had a great implementation, well matched and slick. My 2018 Skoda Karoq had a terrible one (different tech), clunky, dimwitted and slow.

But far better to have an EV powertrain, anyway.

Thanks. It is interesting to see some of the old stereotypes alive and well in the negative comments on the video:

"A performance car needs to have you smiling...the MG fails horribly".
"(EV makers) put way too much emphasis on 0-60...forget about driving dynamics and range".
"Battery car weight takes the fun away so Golf R wins".
"Used market better for the VW".
"Can't see the MG being anywhere near as much fun".
"EVs shred tyres".
"'sportier' is a misnomer; it's too easy to bolt a motor on both axles and think it is an all-round hot hatch".
"People will pay for a Golf R because of its heritage".
"Anything with an MG badge should be ignored".
"Why do car manufacturers have to make these EV SUVs fast when the weight and body shape counter the performance".
"Why are you tubers pushing awful electric cars onto us? We don't have the infrastructure and they don't go far enough".

There were plenty of positive comments too.

The DSG in my 2009 Golf was fine. Liked it a lot. (Bowfer would probably have hated it, though I can't imagine why.)
Same here in Golf R 7.5, though I did have the DSG remapped in sport mode to hold the gears longer, it was a bit eager to change up as standard. I found it very slick and fast and very rarely wrongly predicted a change result in slow (1 second) gear swap.

I did also up the oil pressure to the clutches and Haldex to cope with extra power. Increasing the power to just shy of 400 bhp in sport mode transformed the car.

But switch back to standard mode and the standard tune restored normal power and mpg for cruising around.

You mean you had the Sport mode remapped? What did that do to the petrol consumption? I didn't use it a lot even as supplied because it drank petrol like a dipsomaniac in a distillery, but it could certainly go. I sometimes selected it if I could see a snappy overtake coming up.

Yes, Sport mode remapped for both the engine and gearbox. I tweaked the Haldex balance and oil pressure via ODB11. The R was always quicker than VWs official 0-60 times - I never understood that?

ODB11 is great, I wish we had the same for the MG, I tweaked all sorts of stuff, including the ACC (which worked brilliantly and I used a great deal on all sorts of roads, unlike the MG which is so poor I cannot use it).

I do like the MG4, I really hope some of the software issues get resolved. I'm not sure if go for the X Power, it doesn't sound like an all round car to me, all power and no handling. Though it should mean that soon there are more powerful dual motor setups available from breakers for converting old cars. ;)

I don't really want a Trophy, and the X-Power is basically a Trophy. I'm just attracted to the 0-60 figures, which is nuts because the SE SR is actually fast enough for me on the road in normal circumstances.

I just wish MG would address the software issues on the SE. It would take about ten minutes as far as I can see. At least they seem to be addressing the software issues on the Trophy.

Its quite funny that coming from two Golf R Mk 7's between 2015 and 2019, I remember quite a few reviews at the time said exactly the same about the Golf R Mk 7 (too numb, too safe, not exciting enough). I can see where they were coming from but it was still a great car to own and drive all year round in all conditions. It's a shame the Golf R lease deals are twice as much these days on the Mk 8 !
Yes I really question a lot of the “no it’s not a hot hatch reviews” for both the Golf R and X-Power. My only recent AWD experience was a 2022 911 4S for a day over my favourite urban and B Roads, about 450km, giving it some stick. Some reviewers say the Porsche 2WD versions are lighter and “more fun”. But who wants to career off the road if traction lost with a 2WD anything. Just look at all the Ford Mustangs and Ferraris on YouTube crashing and doing out of the blue 90 degree changes of direction under full power, scarey!

Have an X-Power on order but not driven any MG4. If the X-Power proceeds (it’s not priced or released in Australia yet), I would like to fit the 18” wheel covers from what we call the Essence here which UK might call a Trophy. Any gurus know if these wheel covers will fit on XPower wheels?

The first MG4s only arrived at dealers here in Australia the last few days. Most of the demonstrators seem to be Essence 64kWh models, 18” wheels, black roof (like UK Trophys, twin spoilers, etc).

Last edited:
I would like to fit the 18” wheel covers from what we call the Essence here which UK might call a Trophy. Any gurus know if these wheel covers will fit on XPower wheels?
I don't beleive they will because the clips on the covers are designed to grip the spokes of the wheels.

I wonder how much would a set of 18” alloys and hubcaps from the Trophy model cost?
Sometimes when a new model is released you see a “flush” of parts like this on EBay and the like as new car buyers make changes. When my wife’s Golf Mk 7 was new we would have liked a spare set of wheel covers. At the time new ones on EBay and the like were incredibly cheap. Good luck, I’m thinking of the same sleeper approach with the XPower. One solution might be to remove the orange brake calliper covers. They are a big giveaway to Plod?

Waiting for a CarWow review of the XPower. Come on Matt! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, they look like cheap Ali Express add ons. The fact that they are covers is even worse. Some proper painted Calipers without covers, in traditional colours would have been better IMHO.

I'm not sure the average PC Plod is all that clued up in the intricacies of differentiating hot hatches. I had hell's own trouble in an XR2, which pretty much screamed "boy racer!", but when I switched to a Peugeot 306 GTi6, which was even faster, they immediately stopped bothering me. It was possible to tell the GTi6 from the base model, but it was relatively subtle. Same with the Golf GTi. The red stripes on the nose should be an absolute giveaway, but I never had a problem.

Having said that, the calliper covers are naff, and that orange colour isn't going to look good on the red or the blue at all.

Having said that, the calliper covers are naff, and that orange colour isn't going to look good on the red or the blue at all.
I dunno, I reckon an orange accent on blue can look pretty good:
1692098611265.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom