MG4 X-Power waiting area

Or how about an original GT40 which sold for $11,000,000 in 2012

1692102399770.png

When I got my Golf in 2009 there were five monochrome colours (white, black, light grey, dark grey and silver) and only two actual colours (pillar-box red, and the one I went for, a metallic blue so dark it could be taken for grey if it wasn't newly washed). I mean, honestly.

You could also have practically any Pantone number you liked for an extra 3,000 euros. No thanks.

What is this obsession car makers have with the colour orange? Ford were at it too.

Ford really only did orange (or lime green) on their hyper sporty models.
Identified them as the ST/RS models.
They didn’t do it on cooking models, like MG have.

Ford really only did orange (or lime green) on their hyper sporty models.
Identified them as the ST/RS models.
They didn’t do it on cooking models, like MG have.
That's why orange Trophy owners are always getting the hard stare from PC Paddington.
At first glance, it's an orange hatchback with a roof spoiler, and police thinking immediately jumps to boy racers in a Focus ST.

Can I be cheeky and ask what deal you got? I’m still waiting for our salary sacrifice provider to offer it yet.
It was pretty much in line with personal PCP figures based on mileage over four years.

Our scheme includes maintenance and insurance with teslas coming out north of 700 quid per month.

Quotes for the xpower are all around the 450 to 500 per month depending on mileage (by comparison a trophy LR was around 400).

My annual mileage will be low, given our mg4 trophy will be used for longer journeys so mine is closer to 450 per month.

Despite the relatively high monthly lease, with the tax break, and the low BIK, the xpower (as opposed to its rivals) was worth going for in my circumstances.

Just a waiting game now - hopefully before Christmas (ideally sooner). The dealers were saying 12-14 weeks. The broker isn’t committing.

It was pretty much in line with personal PCP figures based on mileage over four years.

Our scheme includes maintenance and insurance with teslas coming out north of 700 quid per month.

Quotes for the xpower are all around the 450 to 500 per month depending on mileage (by comparison a trophy LR was around 400).

My annual mileage will be low, given our mg4 trophy will be used for longer journeys so mine is closer to 450 per month.

Despite the relatively high monthly lease, with the tax break, and the low BIK, the xpower (as opposed to its rivals) was worth going for in my circumstances.

Just a waiting game now - hopefully before Christmas (ideally sooner). The dealers were saying 12-14 weeks. The broker isn’t committing.
Are you able to share the tax and NI related savings from it being salary sacrifice. Assume the nominal tax rate?

Are you able to share the tax and NI related savings from it being salary sacrifice. Assume the nominal tax rate?
Salary sacrifice typically means you’ll get 20% or 40% (or if you’re lucky enough to earn enough 50%) tax break on the monthly lease given that it is taken at source.

So the lease price is reduced by either 20/40/50% in terms of money taken from your pocket.

There is typically a benefit in kind that is then used for tax purposes too. For electric cars at the moment it is 2% of the purchase price. For the xpower this works out at around £730 per year you’re then taxed on.

Disclaimer: I may have got the sums wrong so please do not rely on this for your own calculation.

Edit: corrected typo in the disclaimer 😀

Last edited:
The MG4 (normal ) has been praised for its 50-50 weight distribution. The extra weight of the X, up front , motor ,gearbox, driveshafts, etc will most likely have negative effects on the twisty changes of direction and could push out the front slightly and not giving that sporty ride effect. So straight line blasts could be ruined by the squeaky bum time at the resulting first bend. Just a thought.
Could the battery be reconfigured to even up the weight distribution, there is space/capacity (64 vs 77).
Again, just a thought.

Salary sacrifice typically means you’ll get 20% or 40% (or if you’re lucky enough to earn enough 50%) tax break on the monthly lease given that it is taken at source.

So the lease price is reduced by either 20/40/50% in terms of money taken from your pocket.

There is typically a benefit in kind that is then used for tax purposes too. For electric cars at the moment it is 2% of the purchase price. For the xpower this works out at around £730 per year you’re then taxed on.

Disclaimer: I may have got the sums wrong so please do rely on this for your own calculation.

So around £510 a month for the car and BIK?
It’s not the saving a 40% reduction should suggest, is it. 😞
Not having a go at you, just pointing out £510 a month isn’t much of a saving over just going out and getting the car yourself on PCP. 🤷‍♂️
I know insurance is included, but that only accounts for £25-£30 a month for me.
This is why I didn’t bother, the savings just weren’t that appealing compared with PCP, which gives me more freedom to leave the company or sell the car early.

Can’t decide if I’m mental wanting to buy and own the car. The finance deals seem pretty high though given the uncertainty surrounding final value and they of course have mileage limitations I just can’t be sure of. (I always hate estimating for the insurance but at least that doesn’t cost if my plans end up different to what I expected last year)

Assuming I don’t get a lemon I can’t imagine wanting/needing to swap it in a short period of time as I’m not sure what more I could want from an EV. I don’t want huge range (it always feels like a weird trade off with batteries as you have a heavier car ALL the time for that extra range)
charging speeds seem pretty good (maybe I stand to be surprised if another leap happens but I think they’re at the point where it’s a sensible break if you’re driving those kinds of distances)
Don’t have a need for extra family seats in the future or anything it’s just two of us most of the time (and a medium sized furry companion 🐶)

Can’t decide if I’m mental wanting to buy and own the car. The finance deals seem pretty high though given the uncertainty surrounding final value and they of course have mileage limitations I just can’t be sure of. (I always hate estimating for the insurance but at least that doesn’t cost if my plans end up different to what I expected last year)

Assuming I don’t get a lemon I can’t imagine wanting/needing to swap it in a short period of time as I’m not sure what more I could want from an EV. I don’t want huge range (it always feels like a weird trade off with batteries as you have a heavier car ALL the time for that extra range)
charging speeds seem pretty good (maybe I stand to be surprised if another leap happens but I think they’re at the point where it’s a sensible break if you’re driving those kinds of distances)
Don’t have a need for extra family seats in the future or anything it’s just two of us most of the time (and a medium sized furry companion 🐶)

Not mental, but it’s not something I’ll ever do again.
As with a mobile phone, happy to set aside £xxx a month forever and just keep ‘upgrading’

So around £510 a month for the car and BIK?
It’s not the saving a 40% reduction should suggest, is it. 😞
Not having a go at you, just pointing out £510 a month isn’t much of a saving over just going out and getting the car yourself on PCP. 🤷‍♂️
I know insurance is included, but that only accounts for £25-£30 a month for me.
This is why I didn’t bother, the savings just weren’t that appealing compared with PCP, which gives me more freedom to leave the company or sell the car early.
Aren’t the total costs (real term money out of pocket) are closer to £300 per month all in for a 40% tax payer based on a salary sacrifice of £450 per month and benefit in kind of £720 per year?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom