MG4 X-Power waiting area

Repeating myself, the X-Power seems to be the performance bargain of the century. It would be nice to see how it compares to other small powerful EVs (smart #1 Brabus, Volvo EX30 Performance).

VW seems to be late to the party (again), with their ID GTI concept.
Yes, saw fully charged's "review" of this: very clearly a concept car so no real idea what it will be like when launched and what it will actually cost. It only counts when the vehicles is actually available for order and being delivered, in my book.

The problem with the abarth video is it's an overpriced, underpowered and far to small car.

It just goes to prove at the moment that the x power is out on its own for performance at that price point, yes it's a budget car with some questionable quality control and materials but in terms of bang for buck there is nothing that gets close to it at the moment within an extra £5k

Watched this - the guy does not know what he wants, or what he’s talking about when it comes to a hot hatch.
The guy is very clear about what he wants and goes into depth why he thinks the ER would be the better car to buy.

Now of course what he wants might not be what you want and that's fine.

The guy is very clear about what he wants and goes into depth why he thinks the ER would be the better car to buy.

Now of course what he wants might not be what you want and that's fine.
He wants it to look like / be a hot hatch, but then grumbles about it being firmer than another version.
What proper hot hatch isn’t bone crashingly firm?

For what it’s worth I don’t think this car fits the bill as a hot hatch, the purist in me says that the correct formula for a hot hatch is a short-wheelbase, light, three door hatchback with front wheel drive.

What it is is a (much) faster version of an existing car with uprated suspension and brakes to better handle the speed / acceleration.
Similarly to what Audi do with their S cars (even their RS cars at times).

It’s never going to push boundaries for handling - too heavy / long for that.
But it goes about it’s business pretty damn well and if you want a point and squirt car (see Audi S / RS) that’s electric, with decent brakes and not too much body roll then it’s a contender. Throw in the obvious cost benefit (in particular on a salary sacrifice offer) it’s a great package.

IMO it’s not a hot hatch though. In an electric car that would really take huge investment and starting from scratch - it’s not as easy as it used to be to create that formula as it has been in an ICE car - weight and the ability / willing of the manufacturer to invest enough to balance / neutralise that weight by investing in the chassis is the real problem.

Last edited:
........It’s never going to push boundaries for handling - too heavy / long for that.
But it goes about it’s business pretty damn well and if you want a point and squirt car (see Audi S / RS) that’s electric, with decent brakes and not too much body roll then it’s a contender. Throw in the obvious cost benefit (in particular on a salary sacrifice offer) it’s a great package.........
Yep, thats exactly how I see it, plus the practical 5dr hatch style and AWD.

He wants it to look like / be a hot hatch, but then grumbles about it being firmer than another version.

For what it’s worth I don’t think this car fits the bill as a hot hatch, the purist in me says that the correct formula for a hot hatch is a short-wheelbase, light, three door hatchback with front wheel drive.

What it is is a (much) faster version of an existing car with uprated suspension and brakes to better handle the speed / acceleration.

But it goes about it’s business pretty damn well and if you want a point and squirt car (see Audi S / RS) that’s electric, with decent brakes and not too much body roll then it’s a contender. Throw in the obvious cost benefit (in particular on a salary sacrifice offer) it’s a great package.

IMO it’s not a hot hatch though. In an electric car that would really take huge investment and starting from scratch - it’s not as easy as it used to be to create that formula as it has been in an ICE car - weight and the ability / willing of the manufacturer to invest enough to balance / neutralise that weight by investing in the chassis is the real problem.
There is no exact times scales yet for the arrival of the alpine version of the 5 EV and the new VW GTi but exactly like you have said they are making both front wheel drive, will be very interesting to see how they handle with the extra weight, because both of them will be judged pretty harshly if performance and handling doesn't live up to expectations/hype!

As I've said the X power is out there, at the moment, in terms of bang for buck

I can’t be the only one waiting for this. I thought it might be useful to have a dedicated thread for news and discussion now it has an official UK name at least. I’ll try and collate the salient points from the various threads later in the day.

I’m torn between wanting a unique colour for it in the UK and wanting it to be more sleeper like and understated in a regular colour 😊
I ordered mine in the essential (and only colour) racing green, and have been quoted November/December delivery slot.

Can we create a dedicated Mg4Xpower forum?

I think you are absolutely right about "hot hatch" not being the right term.

Yep, thats exactly how I see it, plus the practical 5dr hatch style and AWD.
I agree with what you both say. The hot hatch formula is not going to work in any car of this weight. I'd say that none of the AMG/RS hatches are hot hatches either. They might be "super hatches" but IMO a hot hatch is a stripped back normal hatchback with more power, better engine and handling that needs to be taken by the scruff of the neck and you can feel it moving under you. My old Clio 182 just dared you to go faster. Maybe if MG changed the software to give another mode that favoured the rear wheels more and allowed a bit of slip before the front motor kicked in to allow you to play then it would work better but with 1800Kg do you want the momentum if it went wrong?

I dunno, I'm looking forward to getting my XPower and am under no illusion that it will be the same as my MX5. It's almost like James Bond, a hot hatch is like Roger Moore in that it doesn't take itself seriously and is more fun but the XPower is like Daniel Craig in that it just batters it's way through with power. Both are fun in their own way but comparing them is difficult.

The disapointing non straight line handling comments seem to be around how the car is set up % wise from back to front motors with too much emphasis on the front rather than back. It would be interesting to try one that has been adjusted to more back power.

The disapointing non straight line handling comments seem to be around how the car is set up % wise from back to front motors with too much emphasis on the front rather than back. It would be interesting to try one that has been adjusted to more back power.
Yes, absolutely and this should be easy for MG to change in software updates as they get more experienced with their new 4WD twin motor system.

People forget that when the Golf R first came out (R32), it had criticism about the handling and it has had years and years of improvement since.

At the risk of heading off on a tangent again the apparent figures of the VW ID GTi were released at its unveiling in Munich.

4104 mm long
1804 wide
1499 high
2600 wheelbase
490lt boot

320bhp motor
250 mile range (apparently subject to change as tech improves/more energy dense battery for size becomes available prior to launch.

Interesting sounding car but 3.5 years away they reckon.

Yes, absolutely and this should be easy for MG to change in software updates as they get more experienced with their new 4WD twin motor system.

People forget that when the Golf R first came out (R32), it had criticism about the handling and it has had years and years of improvement since.
Agreed and it should be easier for MG to change things as IIRC the original R32 handling was due to the big engine up front and MG just need to change software which I believe would make a big difference.

Hi everyone
Just monitoring the xpower thread as I have an EX30 Plus performance on order but not yet seen it. However will be viewing a static demo this weekend which is doing a tour of the UK in certain dealers, actual car deliveries not expected until the new year.
If I decide against it, will consider the MG4 again, having cancelled an SE LR earlier in the year due to the various issues being talked about at the time.
If I decide against the EX30 will then arrange a test drive of the Xpower next week to see if I can be tempted back to the fold.

Hi everyone
Just monitoring the xpower thread as I have an EX30 Plus performance on order but not yet seen it. However will be viewing a static demo this weekend which is doing a tour of the UK in certain dealers, actual car deliveries not expected until the new year.
If I decide against it, will consider the MG4 again, having cancelled an SE LR earlier in the year due to the various issues being talked about at the time.
If I decide against the EX30 will then arrange a test drive of the Xpower next week to see if I can be tempted back to the fold.
Dealers now seem to be getting Xpower demo cars.
At least mine does (Gallagher's of Sandycroft)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom