MG4 X-Power waiting area

I'd like to see a trophy with the same 228bhp rear motor as the extended range but with the 62kwh battery. Same suspension and brake upgrades as the Xpower. Call it the MG4 S or something

Decent review and has highlighted probably what most people know already.

Great bang for the buck
Nothing else in the same price bracket
Instant speed

But

It's a one trick pony
The caliper covers aren't great
Doesn't handle the greatest
The interior isn't upgraded (seats aren't supportive Enough)

The criticism I was surprised with was the brakes, they performed well in the braking test on the runway, maybe he means in real world driving

I ordered mine in the essential (and only colour) racing green, and have been quoted November/December delivery slot.

Can we create a dedicated Mg4Xpower forum?
Dealers now seem to be getting Xpower demo cars.
At least mine does (Gallagher's of Sandycroft)

Maybe this will help - in stock Mangoletsi Knutsford, must be others too .....

I have a test drive booked for 10am tomorrow, so watch this space 😀 Having watched the various reviews posted on here, none have put me off. The only issue at the moment may be the ride quality, plus I will be removing the brake calliper covers if I was to order.

I have a test drive booked for 10am tomorrow, so watch this space 😀 Having watched the various reviews posted on here, none have put me off. The only issue at the moment may be the ride quality, plus I will be removing the brake calliper covers if I was to order.
If you're at Gallagher's, that's a nice long "60mph" straight, between the pub & British Aerospace! ;)

Yes I have a couple of other roads in mind, with a few twisty and uneven sections. Just to check out the ride comfort off course 😉

Forgot say that the 0.2 second slower time to 62 mph than the the EX30 maybe a deal breaker……………

Maybe this will help - in stock Mangoletsi Knutsford, must be others too .....

There is a lot of clickbait on autotrader a lot of dealers did the same last year when the 4 was launched, advertised as having stock but didnt

The criticism I was surprised with was the brakes, they performed well in the braking test on the runway, maybe he means in real world driving
Yeah to me it sounded like he was complaining about the feel as I think SOME regen might be there under normal pedal use? It won’t be as pure as stereotypical hot hatch buyers might expect.
For most EV buyers though you kind of know what you’re getting and I think it does it well. It’s just some converts might not like it at first.

Yeah to me it sounded like he was complaining about the feel as I think SOME regen might be there under normal pedal use? It won’t be as pure as stereotypical hot hatch buyers might expect.
For most EV buyers though you kind of know what you’re getting and I think it does it well. It’s just some converts might not like it at first.

Brake pedal feel is a thing EVs just do not do well.
Anyone used to driving over a certain road and being used to having certain braking points is going to have a bloody nightmare in any EV.
I don’t even mean compared with an ICE, an EV is heavier and will need longer to stop, that’s obvious, I mean from journey to journey in the same EV, it’s just not possible to brake consistently like you can in an ICE.

Huh weird, I never noticed inconsistency with my i3 maybe I’m not driving it hard enough but it was always predictable. I’d imagine more so than an ICE which will vary by fuel weight. EV at least weighs the same almost flat as it does fully charged. But I defer to your experience as I’ve not had any powerful ICE cars to speak of. Juke DIG-T was about the height of it 🤣

Huh weird, I never noticed inconsistency with my i3 maybe I’m not driving it hard enough but it was always predictable. I’d imagine more so than an ICE which will vary by fuel weight. EV at least weighs the same almost flat as it does fully charged. But I defer to your experience as I’ve not had any powerful ICE cars to speak of. Juke DIG-T was about the height of it 🤣

I’m talking…cough….sporty driving…officer.
Although inconsistent pedal feel is experienced at any speed in any EV I’ve driven.

Hehe, I thought I hooned that little thing around at times but again maybe I’m just not able to pick up on it, I’m perfectly willing to admit I’m a ham fisted monkey behind the wheel so maybe most stuff is plenty good enough for me, so long as the car is way more than I’ll need then I guess it’s good.

The xpower should be interesting and fun, I’m not trying to set lap times or hit the apex of every corner, good enough is maybe a lower bar for me. 😊

There is a lot of clickbait on autotrader a lot of dealers did the same last year when the 4 was launched, advertised as having stock but didnt
Give them a ring and call their bluff, threatening advertising standards if they don't have one. 😂

Well I had the test drive and wow what a rocket-ship in a straight line. Handling over all wasn't bad, although ride was a bit unsettled on fairly smooth roads, but absorbed bad sections well. The brake covers are actually metal, some are saying plastic, this may have been said previously and I apologise if it has.
I have not ordered one, as Im going to go ahead and view the EX30 tomorrow, will then make a decision. If nothing else it has given me a taste of what the EX30 twin motor will perform like.

Well I had the test drive and wow what a rocket-ship in a straight line. Handling over all wasn't bad, although ride was a bit unsettled on fairly smooth roads, but absorbed bad sections well. The brake covers are actually metal, some are saying plastic, this may have been said previously and I apologise if it has.
I have not ordered one, as Im going to go ahead and view the EX30 tomorrow, will then make a decision. If nothing else it has given me a taste of what the EX30 twin motor will perform like.
Pretty good I think considering it’s £8k less….

I agree the EX30 is more expensive and MG4 is better value for money. However its all down to personal choice, so we will see. 😀

Yeah, the uplift in price and likely quality would be fine with me, I’m just impatient so the earliest one gets my vote. Rightly or wrongly, we’ll see. As already noted I’m pretty easily pleased so assuming I don’t get a lemon I should be pretty happy.

Dont get me wrong, Im tempted by the MG4 but just wanting to make sure this time. Im going for the Plus model if I choose the EX30, as I dont want the Ultra due to the fixed sun roof. I had a bad experience with an Evoque, which had two cracked sunroofs due to flexing. So not the full £8k more, but still more expensive.

At the price-point of the XC30 I’d be going for the Smart#1 Brabus. Much more interesting IMO.

But for me neither would be worth the circa 40% more (a month) than the XPower.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom