MG4 X-Power waiting area

I was thinking about that too, I watched one of the YouTube reviews, instead of usual “Tesla killer”, this is “Everything Killer”😁
This would take sales away from Audi S3, RS3, Golf GTI , R plus many more!!!
This will take a very small amount of sales from the likes of the cars you mention IMO. They are on a different level of quality, interior and software quality and while many don't want to admit it image and reputation.

This will take a very small amount of sales from the likes of the cars you mention IMO. They are on a different level of quality, interior and software quality and while many don't want to admit it image and reputation.
Yeah - You will always get your “Badge Snobs” I guess 🤣.
After owning a number of VAG group cars from new in the past, aI have to say they can build a good car though !.

I don't agree, I used to have a Golf GTi Performance, now I have an MG4, I wouldn't pay the badge tax. The interior of the MG4 is just fine.

While some will stick with what they know, many won't. I have a neighbour with a BMW X3 hybrid who won't pay the huge premium for an electric BMW, not because he can't afford it but because he is not prepared to spend that much on a car. He is keeping his X3 for another 2-3 years to see what happens in the market, but it is my betting he'll end up with a non-BMW, possibly Chinese, replacement.

Last edited:
£10K more than the SE is it worth it?

I have had the SE SR for several months now and never once did I wish it was faster exceleration or have a faster top end

My last car was a Golf GTi and I'm thinking the same thing. I was putting it down maybe to getting older and becoming more sedate, though!

I don't agree, I used to have a Golf GTi Performance, now I have an MG4, I wouldn't pay the badge tax. The interior of the MG4 is just fine.

Again, yes. The interior fof the MG4 is fine. Inevitably it's different - my GTi was 2009 vintage, and cars have evolved a lot since then. I miss the sun roof and the dual heating controls and things like that, but I wouldn't pay £10,000 for these things. The GTi had a bigger expanse of cheap-looking plastic on its fascia than the MG4! Maybe the seat fabric isn't so hardwearing as the Golf's but seat covers will protect that.

And to me honest, I like the MG badge. To me it says the sports cars my older cousins were driving in the 1960s. But that's just me.

My last car was a Golf GTi and I'm thinking the same thing. I was putting it down maybe to getting older and becoming more sedate, though!
Probably not. The MG4 is slower, although little in it really with the SR, but because it puts the power down so much better without gears and being RWD, the usable performance is better in the MG, at least up to 40-50mph. Above that a GTi would probably win, but not against the ER version and definitely not with the XPower.

I never go over 80 (French motorways), never go to German autobahns or tracks, so the difference in top speeds is pretty irrelevant to me (and I suspect most people).

Again, yes. The interior for the MG4 is fine. Inevitably it's different - my GTi was 2009 vintage, and cars have evolved a lot since then. I miss the sun roof and the dual heating controls and things like that, but I wouldn't pay £10,000 for these things. The GTi had a bigger expanse of cheap-looking plastic on its fascia than the MG4! Maybe the seat fabric isn't so hardwearing as the Golf's but seat covers will protect that.
A modern Golf does has a better quality interior than the MG, but I don't think the difference is massive and people stop noticing the interior after a few weeks, then it is really comfort and touch that are noticed and the MG does well here: good seats, stalks, only the infotainment buttons let it down on the tactile front.
And to me honest, I like the MG badge. To me it says the sports cars my older cousins were driving in the 1960s. But that's just me.
Yes, there is heritage in the badge, wasn't a factor for me but will be for some.

Probably not. The MG4 is slower, although little in it really with the SR, but because it puts the power down so much better without gears and being RWD, the usable performance is better in the MG, at least up to 40-50mph. Above that a GTi would probably win, but not against the ER version and definitely not with the XPower.

I never go over 80 (French motorways), never go to German autobahns or tracks, so the difference in top speeds is pretty irrelevant to me (and I suspect most people).

I did take my GTi on the German autobahns when it was quite new. Quite the experience. I drove all the way from Zeebrugge to Bayreuth in Bavaria. But seriously, although I have done up to 120 in this country I know it's not advisable and a cap at 100 mph is a good thing in a car of mine I think. Particularly in the MG4 because it just gets there so effortlessly and silently you don't really realise what you're doing. (My XR2 was like that too. I once spent almost three years with 11 points on my licence thanks to that car.)

You're right about the acceleration. The GTi could go, but there was a lag (turbo or DSG?) and even the DSG has a slight hesitation as it changes up. Also, being front wheel drive, it was liable to wheel-spin, which the MG4 doesn't do. It just goes without any hesitations.

Mind you, I got carved up by a Leaf yesterday. :mad: I was driving a section of A721 between Elsrickle and Newbigging which is a bit of a chicane, and became conscious of a black car behind me. He obviously wanted to take the corners faster. When I came out of the last bend I accelerated quickly to 60 as I always to, but Mr Leaf was having none of it and passed me fast. I decided not to make an issue of it.

Then this morning when I wanted to use the village charger during the church service, what was already on there but a black Leaf. Hmm. I snuck out during a hymn to get on as soon as the Leaf was done, so I saw the driver, a fairly young guy. Not a smile, not a nod. Ah well.

A modern Golf does has a better quality interior than the MG, but I don't think the difference is massive and people stop noticing the interior after a few weeks, then it is really comfort and touch that are noticed and the MG does well here: good seats, stalks, only the infotainment buttons let it down on the tactile front.

Yes, there is heritage in the badge, wasn't a factor for me but will be for some.

Absolutely. I like the seats in the MG4, especially the blue stitching. I've only covered them up with Aliexpress covers to protect them, and to lighten the dark interior of the car. I'm quite happy with the buttons and everything really.

And yes, it does give me pleasure to look at the big MG badge on the bonnet and remember these 1960s sports cars my cousins strutted around in. One took my mother on an errand once, and confessed to me that he'd told her his speedo wasn't working because she'd looked across at it and been horrified!

Mind you, I got carved up by a Leaf yesterday. :mad: I was driving a section of A721 between Elsrickle and Newbigging which is a bit of a chicane, and became conscious of a black car behind me. He obviously wanted to take the corners faster. When I came out of the last bend I accelerated quickly to 60 as I always to, but Mr Leaf was having none of it and passed me fast. I decided not to make an issue of it.

Then this morning when I wanted to use the village charger during the church service, what was already on there but a black Leaf. Hmm. I snuck out during a hymn to get on as soon as the Leaf was done, so I saw the driver, a fairly young guy. Not a smile, not a nod. Ah well.
Next time you see him, challenge him to a range competition!

While some will stick with what they know, many won't. I have a neighbour with a BMW X3 hybrid who won't pay the huge premium for an electric BMW, not because he can't afford it but because he is not prepared to spend that much on a car. He is keeping his X3 for another 2-3 years to see what happens in the market, but it is my betting he'll end up with a non-BMW, possibly Chinese, replacement.
Yes. The problem lies in the future, not in the past. Especially Volkswagen relies on a reputation grown in the past and is unable to live up to it anymore.

BMW is not able to offer a replacement for the genius i3. If they ever will, all customers will have migrated.

The cheapest BMW i4 is EUR 56,500 (with sh*t performance, sh*t battery, sh*t charging speed and an ICE floorpan with massive propeller shaft tunnel). A Tesla Model 3 Performance is EUR 54,990 - fully equipped. You would have to be a die hard fanboy to buy the bare naked BMW with 250 less horsepower.

The established brands have a huge problem. Badge prestige alone does not sell cars anymore. The Volkswagen ID.2 will come two years (too) late. Most customers will have considered an Asian alternative by then.

The cheapest BMW i4 is EUR 56,500 (with sh*t performance, sh*t battery, sh*t charging speed and an ICE floorpan with massive propeller shaft tunnel). A Tesla Model 3 Performance is EUR 54,990 - fully equipped. You would have to be a die hard fanboy to buy the bare naked BMW with 250 less horsepower.
You forgot that massive grille that makes it look bucktoothed.
5101NtSnx0L._AC_.jpg

He could always put winter tyres on...

... which I suppose he will be doing anyway.

But seriously, good winter tyres were able to transform my GTi from Bambi on an ice rink into a Land Rover Defender, without any need for 4WD. They're the business.

He could always put winter tyres on...

... which I suppose he will be doing anyway.

But seriously, good winter tyres were able to transform my GTi from Bambi on an ice rink into a Land Rover Defender, without any need for 4WD. They're the business.
Winter tyres are definitely advised in winter in Norway, as is carrying chains, so much so that it's the law.

4wd does make a nice difference on top of these things though.

More drive wheels = more control.

Us in the north - England/Scotland will generally get by with winter tyres and maybe a small shovel to dig out of a precarious position if we ever see the white stuff again.

Unless you live up in Aviemore or somewhere and get 3ft of snow, of course.

Is this the norm? Or was it a particularly bad winter? 2010 etc.

Got it in one. In fact it was December 2009, not long after I got the GTi, but 2010-11 was much the same. We had two horror-winters in succession just after I got that car. Hence the insistence on winter tyres. We're 800 feet up at 55 degrees north so it can happen any time, but these two years were memorable.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom