MG4 XPower Range and efficiency

Mrugesh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi all, I am planning to buy MG4 but I am torn between MG4 Trophy Long Range and MG4 XPower. I like both models but wanted some comparison on XPower real world range and efficiency to MG4 Trophy LR. I can afford the upgrade but I want to see if it’s possible to do 150 miles journeys on single charge on XPower in summer/winter? - Average speed between 55-60 mph with Eco setting and sensible driving mostly (with some XPower moment 😄)

I know XPower is more for thrill but I want honest feedback from owners if it can be practical also. Would love your feedback on XPower performance and handling/day to day driving. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
.............. I want to see if it’s possible to do 150 miles journeys on single charge on XPower in summer/winter? - Average speed between 55-60 mph with Eco setting and sensible driving mostly (with some XPower moment 😄)

No problem at those speeds. I could get 200 miles range at 70mph cruising over a 100 mile trip back in September. This will probably drop to around 160 now at sub zero temps (but at 70mph again). Drop speeds down to 55-60mph and you will get a lot more than me 👍

If you turn on ECO driving mode, turn on Energy Saving mode, turn on ECO in the HVAC menu and turn off AC and Auto in the HVAC menu I've found I can get some good efficiency driving like a granny !! The Energy Saving mode does seem to retrict power though.

No problem at those speeds. I could get 200 miles range at 70mph cruising over a 100 mile trip back in September. This will probably drop to around 160 now at sub zero temps (but at 70mph again). Drop speeds down to 55-60mph and you will get a lot more than me 👍

If you turn on ECO driving mode, turn on Energy Saving mode, turn on ECO in the HVAC menu and turn off AC and Auto in the HVAC menu I've found I can get some good efficiency driving like a granny !! The Energy Saving mode does seem to retrict power though.
Thanks so much JohnnyG for the range info. You persuading me to owning XPower (which is what I was hoping for 😂). Do you know mpkw you are getting nowadays in city/motorway with eco/normal setting? Also, are you having issues with steering at high speed? Any other issue with handling or LKA?

Also, how does Camden Grey look on XPower? There aren’t too many video with that colour online.

Sorry for too many questions and thank you in advance.

I believe the range difference between the models is only about 30 miles in summer, 20 miles in winter.

A lot is in your control with how you drive - eeking out range is possible with slow speeds and slipstreaming, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

I've had to warn a few people who I know who are looking at an EV that they won't be able to sit at their normal 85mph on the motorway and get the range they expect. So it depends on how you adapt. I get good range but I stick to 65-70mph.

......... Do you know mpkw you are getting nowadays in city/motorway with eco/normal setting? Also, are you having issues with steering at high speed? Any other issue with handling or LKA?

Also, how does Camden Grey look on XPower? There aren’t too many video with that colour online.

1. The mi/kWh depends on so many things (outside temperature, use of heater, style/speed of driving etc etc.) it's hard to give a definitive answer !. My car seems to start off at around 2mi/kWh (with heater on and Winter outside temperature) and then move up as the journey progresses to around 2.8-3.0 mi/kWh for a 16 mile journey driving steadily in Normal. Shorter journeys are less than this at the moment as the heater and ACC take up quite a %. BTW I should clarify that the range in my post above was on a long motorway cruise in ECO driving mode, Energy Saving mode on, ECO in the HVAC menu and also AC and Auto turned off in the HVAC menu. I just had the fan running at speed 4 and temp set at around 26°C.

2. Yes my car suffers from the steering wheel vibe when cruising at around 68 mph, so I have to drive around it on a longer cruise (lower or higher speed) ! No other big issues for me - just the typical occasional software glitches, the annoying "nanny state" features etc. My startup routine always dsiables LKA and turns on OPD (One Pedal Driving).

3. Personally I love the Camden Grey (obviously colour is very subjective though) as are the orange caliper covers which I did'nt love 😁 (so i painted them gloss black). There are some photos of my car here if you want to see an Xpower in Camden Grey :

IMG_2501.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting about 2-2.8 on efficiency and around 180 miles out of my XPOWER.

I usually drive it on Normal with only a few bursts of power to get to speed.

Most of my driving is 0-30mph with some 60-70mph on motorway.

Thank you guys, the efficiency trade off is not too bad as I made myself believe. It all depend on my driving style which is what I understood with most EV. I will go for Xpower - thanks all for your input. @JonnyG - Camden Grey is the one. Look really good; thanks for sharing the post and love what you done with Break covers :D

Thank you guys, the efficiency trade off is not too bad as I made myself believe. It all depend on my driving style which is what I understood with most EV. I will go for Xpower - thanks all for your input. @JonnyG - Camden Grey is the one. Look really good; thanks for sharing the post and love what you done with Break covers :D
Might be an idea to hold of until the fix for steering vibration reaches these shores

Might be an idea to hold of until the fix for steering vibration reaches these shores
True but I am gambling on wait time to play the part and hopefully they resolve it before it arrives to me. If not, the issue is only around 60-70mph speed so not too worried. I have delayed the decision already and don't want to wait any longer.

I'm getting about 3 mi/kWh after 300 miles. A fair amount of HVAC used due to weather. Some sport bursts and a couple of launch controls here & there but mainly ECO or Normal if around town. More range than the Audi e-tron 50 from previous lease. Hopefully a good run at the weekend to properly check the steering vibration and get some good usage numbers.

3. Personally I love the Camden Grey (obviously colour is very subjective though) as are the orange caliper covers which I did'nt love 😁 (so i painted them gloss black). There are some photos of my car here if you want to see an Xpower in Camden Grey :

View attachment 21986
Camden grey is a very nice colour. Very premium looking.

My car seems to start off at around 2mls/kwh (with heater on and Winter outside temperature)
This is what I am currently getting since I got my car last week, even after driving in Snow, ECO, Normal and Sport. I used a fast charger today and driving back home it seemed to fluctuate between 2.6 and 3.3 mi/kWh but went back to around 2 (not really moving at all) later on in the day.

I too like what you did to the brake calipers. Very tempted to swap my ZS EV for an Xpower. What's the insurance like, is there much of a hike?

Answering my own question, with my existing insurer it was £200 more, but they have a £900 excess on an x-power!! GoCompare comes up with similar price, but only £200 excess.

So after a few weeks of short local trips (<4 miles) and hardly ever getting much above 2mls/kwh after using pre-heating, HVAC, heated seats etc., all without using a charger at all, I had a long 120 mile trip up and down the A1 yesterday - starting and finishing at home with a 10 minute handover at a servce area.

I was'nt in a rush so thought it would be a good test to see the very best I could get at a steady run at 60mph. Temperature was 9c and it was raining and quite windy. Due to the rain I had to manually turn on the headlights for the whole trip. The car started fully charged with a preheated battery and cabin (all done while charging). I set the car to Normal driving, High Regen and then OPD when allowed, Energy Saving Mode ON, HVAC set to ECO, AC off, with a manual fan speed of 3 and a temp of 25c. I did'nt change the temp at all and checked that AC stayed off a few times (which it did).

On the way up (northbound) I averaged 3.5 mls/kwh driving like a granny and keeping to 60mph all the time. On the way back after a 10 minute stop the average finally dropped to 3.3 when I got home so I'm assuming I averaged about 3.1 on the way back southbound. I'm also guessing the difference was probably the southwesterly headwind which I could feel on the way back.

61 miles Northbound :-

IMG_2807.jpg

122 miles Total (Northbound and Southbound) :-

IMG_2811.JPG

Interesting (but not surprising) that having the cabin and battery fully preheated at the start seems to have avoided the HVAC / AC using any meaningful kwh. It usually accounts for a good few 2-3kwh on my local short trips in the cold when fully using AC, Heated Seats etc without using the charger.

Also interesting is that Energy Saving Mode seems to turn off the front motor.

A similarish trip back in September at a constant 70mph got me 3.0 mls/kwh overall at 16c outside temp.

IMG_2814.JPG

Each time I've tried to use the battery preheat, it's told me not needed?!?

Trying to calculate some numbers from a brief drive today...

Started with 80% and 180 est. Drove 48 miles (mixture of roads, speeds & acceleration but ended as 30mph avg).

Use was 19% of battery & 42 miles of range & 3.5mls/kWh. No HVAC at all just seat & s/wheel.

Total power consumption was 13kWh and 4kWh of regen.

Consumption would indicate 9kWh used whereas 19% of usable battery (61.8kW according to MG brochure) is 11.74kWh???

Now have 61% left and 133 est which gives an estimated 218.03 of total range based on today's driving style.

Started with 80% and 180 est. Drove 48 miles (mixture of roads, speeds & acceleration but ended as 30mph avg).

Use was 19% of battery & 42 miles of range & 3.5mls/kWh. No HVAC at all just seat & s/wheel.
Weirdly enough I drove 48 miles today, along with mixture of roads, speed and acceleration but average speed was 39mph. I started with 71% battery and used 18% in total at 2.5mls/kWh....that was using HVAC but without heated seat/steering wheel.

Im at 53% with 107 range left.

Hi all, I am planning to buy MG4 but I am torn between MG4 Trophy Long Range and MG4 XPower. I like both models but wanted some comparison on XPower real world range and efficiency to MG4 Trophy LR. I can afford the upgrade but I want to see if it’s possible to do 150 miles journeys on single charge on XPower in summer/winter? - Average speed between 55-60 mph with Eco setting and sensible driving mostly (with some XPower moment 😄)

I know XPower is more for thrill but I want honest feedback from owners if it can be practical also. Would love your feedback on XPower performance and handling/day to day driving. Thanks in advance.
Get the xpower.
I've done a 180 mile winter trip with juice to spare at those speeds.

Thank you guys, the efficiency trade off is not too bad as I made myself believe. It all depend on my driving style which is what I understood with most EV. I will go for Xpower..........

As well as driving style, preparation (pre heating while on charge etc.), and switching Energy Saving Mode ON also seem to make a big difference for me 👍. From my experience I think Energy Saving Mode ON also does more than what the manual says in the Xpower, as I'm pretty sure it also disengages the front motor as I have noticed reduced power and performance. When switching to Sport Mode and flooring it I'm sure I saw a quick message appear saying something was'nt available (front motor?) but eventually after fully depressing the accelerator it did start to send energy to the front motor as if overriding Energy Saving Mode.

You can also turn it on / off anytime, not just when the HV battery is getting low

I would only using it on long motorway trips myself though or when maximim range was desirable (not often for me).

Quote from (non Xpower) manual :-

"Energy Saving Mode

When the high voltage battery is low on power, a message
will appear on the infotainment display, prompting the
driver to enable the energy saving mode. When the
energy saving mode is enabled, the vehicle will operate
on the minimal energy consumption. The power of the
air conditioner is limited. The energy regeneration level
is automatically adjusted and fixed to "strong". When the
energy saving mode is turned off, the energy regeneration
returns to the former-selected level. The energy saving
mode can be turned on and off on the infotainment display.
Energy saving mode cannot be enabled when the vehicle is

in Snow Mode"

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom