MG5 70k Update.

Jame’s comment on the current front brake pad condition, did not surprise me really Les - “They will outlast the car”.
The fiction pad material yes, but they are likely to need a brake service for avarage milage users though, I guess.
MOT time for average users could pick up some issues regarding the brake disc pitting etc.
I like that James view that given his high mileage use, he considers that waiting for the first MOT is not really best practice in his case.
I like how he states he has carried out the checks himself on the items that come under scrutiny at MOT time and the MG5 checks out okay !.
One failure on the actuator motor on the charging port door is the only issue.
But one of his subscribers has a spare one and offers it up to James !.
Replacing it would make a great video.
I have suggested it to him.

hi Jeff he did one of these updates at around 41000 I think it was and nothing much as changed apart for the lock on the Charging port door, and that looks to me like a standard VAG part I had to change one on the fuel cap on my Skoda Superb at around 60,000 I think it was, dead easy only one screw holding it in and because they have already removed the motor cover on the 5 to make a frunk a 5 minutes job I should think, but you right a little video might help some at some point
Les

On my previous PHEV (Ampera) the offside back brake bound and required a new disc and pads at about 40k miles, due to lack of use.

The recommendation with the car was to get up to speed and go onto (for instance) a long downhill motorway off ramp, knock it into "neutral" (to prevent KERS braking, which we can't do can we? - never tried it!!) and hard brake to the roundabout at the end, and do that at least once a month.

On my previous PHEV (Ampera) the offside back brake bound and required a new disc and pads at about 40k miles, due to lack of use.

The recommendation with the car was to get up to speed and go onto (for instance) a long downhill motorway off ramp, knock it into "neutral" (to prevent KERS braking, which we can't do can we? - never tried it!!) and hard brake to the roundabout at the end, and do that at least once a month.
Not tried that, but I've found simply using the brakes, uses the brakes :)

If you put cruise control on at a low speed i think you can accelerate above it and friction brake back down to it. It does at least turn off kers when you aren't using the brake peddle.

Not so sure that's true, or am I misunderstanding? If I go above cruise control speed and take my foot off the Go pedal and don't touch the Stop pedal the car slows down, how quickly it does so depends on my KERS setting.

Not so sure that's true, or am I misunderstanding? If I go above cruise control speed and take my foot off the Go pedal and don't touch the Stop pedal the car slows down, how quickly it does so depends on my KERS setting.
I'll check at some point to see if the kers comes on as soon as no accelerator, with the brake peddle or not at all.

There is reference to using the hand brake in an emergency situation to slow the car down, in the manual for the ZS EV ( Gen2 ).

EPB 1. 2023-04-03 at 19.23.24.png

EPB 2. 2023-04-03 at 19.22.58.png

Last edited:
Easiest way to clean the brake pads is to charge to 100%.
Then give the brakes a rogering as there will be no regen produced.

Easiest way to clean the brake pads is to charge to 100%.
Then give the brakes a rogering as there will be no regen produced.
Not so sure it’s necessary, but I agree with your method as it would make sure it’s the physical brakes that is doing the work and not regen
Les

Won't that be with the assistance of KERS though? Not a full-on pad-on-disc event...
Keyword there .. assistance, (and if not fully charged). Pad on disc is how brakes work I believe.

The Regen braking on the face lift ZS EV is NOT as strong as our previous ZS EV for sure.
But I this has the small advantage of reducing the number of brake services the car may need, as the brakes are getting a workout more often, so it’s a 50/50 ball I guess ?.

Not so sure it’s necessary, but I agree with your method as it would make sure it’s the physical brakes that is doing the work and not regen
Les
I found it necessary to clean the pads as I disliked the squeal that happened reversing in the morning. I think some of it is no garage and a salty environment but if it didnt make a noise I'd probably have needed new pads at some point.

Hi aled salty environment I wished I had, but I did have squealing rear brakes on my 5SR almost every morning when reversing off my driveway, and the dealer had 4/5 attempts to cure it without much success, now the funny thing is a neighbour of mine 3 doors away got he’s MG 5 a week after me and has never every had any brake squeal, he’s still got his but mines gone have the the 5 trophy now but I hesitate to say minus the squeals, but I did hear it once one morning the first week I had it.
Les

Hi aled salty environment I wished I had, but I did have squealing rear brakes on my 5SR almost every morning when reversing off my driveway, and the dealer had 4/5 attempts to cure it without much success, now the funny thing is a neighbour of mine 3 doors away got he’s MG 5 a week after me and has never every had any brake squeal, he’s still got his but mines gone have the the 5 trophy now but I hesitate to say minus the squeals, but I did hear it once one morning the first week I had it.
Les
I didn't opt for doing it sensibly. I just reverse while accelerating and braking together a few times till it stopped happening. My guess was that its the rear brakes which get applied with the hand brake causing trapped salt and water but don't get as much wear when out and about due to the regen and the way cars balance the front and back brakes. It could just be they some cars arrive new with slightly squint rear disks rather than corrosion as it doesn't seem to have come back now the pads are worn in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom