• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 + ABRP + ODB Dongle

AbandonedTrolley

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Am I right in thinking that if I purchase an ODB dongle and set that up then ABRP will be able to pull live battery stats and have better routing to charge points etc when travelling?

Not that I really do that long a journey but on the rare occasions it would be good to know.

Make sure the app supports the MG5 ODB and that you get the right kind of adaptor. In the resources forum there's a thread on ODB that has links to adaptors with the right chipset.

Make sure the app supports the MG5 ODB and that you get the right kind of adaptor. In the resources forum there's a thread on ODB that has links to adaptors with the right chipset.
Thanks, not been able to find that link if you could help. I've tried 2 ODB readers, the iCar Pro (Elm 327 2.2) and also an older ILC ODB2 reader. Neither seem to be able to connect to the ECU.

Is it an issue that obviously I cannot really set up a true profile in Torque Pro as there is no allowances for EV's

I have imported the MG5 pids from Github.

1641218225824.png

I do this in the ZS EV and works pretty well, though you need to subscription version of ABRP for it to work and Torque pro app to get the info from the car and relay it to ABRP.

I do this in the ZS EV and works pretty well, though you need to subscription version of ABRP for it to work and Torque pro app to get the info from the car and relay it to ABRP.
Have both those, but still the reader won't connect to the ECU.

Have both those, but still the reader won't connect to the ECU.
hmm, its a while since I set it up, I remember having to set up a code in ABRP to link from Torque, in fact I think I had to re set up my car on ABRP as the first time I set it up I'd done it without the link in mind. Other than that make sure the dongle is compatible with Torque Pro and you have the PIDS loaded for the MG5.

Getting a dongle that works with the MG5 is very hit and miss and different apps seems to be able to connect to different degrees. The MG5 is very different, it's missing some hardware compared to the ZS so you can't go by what works in a ZS.
I've had some luck getting a Nexas Nexlink to work with Torque (Amazon B08BPC179W) but only with basic stuff with settings taken from the ZS data file.

Getting a dongle that works with the MG5 is very hit and miss and different apps seems to be able to connect to different degrees. The MG5 is very different, it's missing some hardware compared to the ZS so you can't go by what works in a ZS.
I've had some luck getting a Nexas Nexlink to work with Torque (Amazon B08BPC179W) but only with basic stuff with settings taken from the ZS data file.
Yeah pids are in. But get stuck at this. Everything else seems fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-131739_Torque.png
    Screenshot_20220108-131739_Torque.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
Might try this one with ABRP

I got ABRP working with Torque Pro and an iCar Pro (Amazon product ASIN B085Y5BBXX) on my MG5 SR yesterday by following this video: - it's for a Hyundai Kona, but all the steps are the same. I had a little difficulty finding the PID CSV as the MG5 link in ABRP is broken, but once I had found it at MG-EV-OBD-PID/extendedpids at main · peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID the rest was plain sailing.
I've also set up a Torque view to see what data is being pulled through.

The next plan is to buy and ODB extender and cut the power on pin 16 to re-route to the power feed for the dashcam which switches off with the power button. This should make the solution more secure (and stop the alarm going off as I walk out of bluetooth range!)

torque.jpg

I got ABRP working with Torque Pro and an iCar Pro (Amazon product ASIN B085Y5BBXX) on my MG5 SR yesterday by following this video: - it's for a Hyundai Kona, but all the steps are the same. I had a little difficulty finding the PID CSV as the MG5 link in ABRP is broken, but once I had found it at MG-EV-OBD-PID/extendedpids at main · peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID the rest was plain sailing.
I've also set up a Torque view to see what data is being pulled through.

The next plan is to buy and ODB extender and cut the power on pin 16 to re-route to the power feed for the dashcam which switches off with the power button. This should make the solution more secure (and stop the alarm going off as I walk out of bluetooth range!)

View attachment 6596

I think that's the one I've currently got - but not from the same seller/link on Amazon. I'm trying to run through iOS and link directly to ABRP - which is now supported - rather than via Torque Pro on Android.

I'm trying to run through iOS and link directly to ABRP - which is now supported - rather than via Torque Pro on Android.

I had messed around with the adapter a bit before going for my config. ABRP requires that you use adapters in BLE mode, I was able to see the Vgate BLE connection in another app (TripTracker) but hadn't sucessfully connected, more for lack of trying than anything else - connecting in normal mode showed me that the only useful info that the app was able to extract seemed to be the vehicle VIN.
I'll have another go at connecting TripTracker via BLE later today and post the result.

Got my NEXAS NexLink Bluetooth 5.0 OBDII Scanner - using Car Scanner on iOS showed battery SOC and SOH but wouldn't initialise through ABRP. Next option is to either acquire an Android phone (Nokia G10 is £100 and should have several years updates) and try torque. Or accept the limitations of the car.

B5B5C1F6-FE1A-4523-B9C8-53931AB8428E.png

Last edited:
So, I installed ABRP on an Andoid tablet and set up a new account so it didn't interfere with my existing config.
Added my vehicle, found iCar Pro BLE in the app.

Green ticks for "Loading car configuration" and "BLE connection status", red cross for "Car connection status". BLE connection to Torque seems fine, so I'm going with a fail for ABRP.

ABRP app is good, and adding the link to Torque makes it better, but whether I'd go to the trouble of swapping from an iPhone to Android I'm not so sure. I drove 300 miles on Monday without the link and ABRP's estimation matched the MG5's real use closely enough to keep it useful. The ABRP pro license was worthwhile though, it showed my planned chargepoint was in use and re-routed me with minimal fuss. Interestingly it attempted to route me off and back onto the A55 at one point, so I'm keeping TomTom running on the phone screen to navigate by!

ABRP.jpg

Well...

Must have been an update in the last few days.

MG5 LR
NEXPEAK NX101 PRO
Pixel 6

Attachments

• PXL_20220315_080550676.jpg
    PXL_20220315_080550676.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220315_081136325.jpg
    PXL_20220315_081136325.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20220315-080243.png
    Screenshot_20220315-080243.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 125
I might need to re-buy one of the dongles I sent back to Amazon and check iOS
Certainly worth a try. I've got the Nexpeak as it has an on/off button to save wear and tear on the port.

It does understate the battery though, can see on the infotainment saying 90 when car says 96

Certainly worth a try. I've got the Nexpeak as it has an on/off button to save wear and tear on the port.

It does understate the battery though, can see on the infotainment saying 90 when car says 96
I'm wondering if that's a difference between the car's SOC using the available battery of 57kWh vs physical size of 61.1kWh (obviously SR model has different sizes)

I'm wondering if that's a difference between the car's SOC using the available battery of 57kWh vs physical size of 61.1kWh (obviously SR model has different sizes)
Maybe, I also found that battery degredation was set at 5% I've zeroed that down to see if it changes anything.

You're right though. Just did some quick math and indeed if it's reporting battery capacity against 61kWh rather than percentage then it would be off by 6% until I hit 46% on the dials then would drop to 5. I'll pay attention on the gaps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom