MG5 charging at TESLA chargeres

fshuk1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone managed to charge an MG5 at the tesla chargers yet? they have opened 15 stations to other car manufacturers. I tried at a service station on M40. Downloaded and registered etc. It asked for the charger number. After I gave it, it said it will commence charging...it may take upto 2minutes. After two minutes it said something like couldn't find the car?

I have had that error before. I changed charger and it worked first time.

I have had that error before. I changed charger and it worked first time.
Hi there, would you mind giving an idea how to go about using the Tesla chargers, and roughly how much to use please.

Hi there, would you mind giving an idea how to go about using the Tesla chargers, and roughly how much to use please.
Not too sure what the question is @rotorhead . Albeit a Tesla charger you use it like any other charger with an app. Basically locate charger on the app, connect car, and click on 'start charge'. This is the same process for any charger with an app although some will say the sequence may differ, but this works on all chargers for me.
Use them as much as you please.

You download the Tesla App.

You should see the option to "Charge your non-Tesla EV"

You can use the map to search for a charger and see charging costs.

Once your at the Tesla charger plug the car in. Then open the app, click on the site on the map and select the charger number. The charger number is written on the side of the charger.

If it works, within a few seconds the car will start charging.

The app will also tell you the charging rate and your car's state of charge.

I used them on my trip across France. First time the app wouldn't recognise the location - well it knew where we were and that there were chargers free but wouldn't recognise that I was selecting a charger - in the app! :-( Call customer services and they were very helpful and spoke great english but were unable to resolve the app issue.
Second time all went very smoothly.

Overall would definitely recommend setting up the app and accounts if only to use as a stand by.

Andy

I saw this about how to get the tesla destination chargers to work first time. It may be the same for the rapids.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-105316_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-105316_Facebook.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 128
I saw this about how to get the tesla destination chargers to work first time. It may be the same for the rapids.
From my past experience with Tesla this is not the case. A tesla destination charger is in fact the tesla wall connector you can purchase for your home. These can be set with the dipswitch inside the charger to either only accept tesla's or also other EV's. At the supercharger this is not the case, you plug in at stations that the Tesla app say are opened for other EV's. As simple as that.

Has anyone managed to charge an MG5 at the tesla chargers yet? they have opened 15 stations to other car manufacturers. I tried at a service station on M40. Downloaded and registered etc. It asked for the charger number. After I gave it, it said it will commence charging...it may take upto 2minutes. After two minutes it said something like couldn't find the car?
Looking on the tesla app, no superchargers on the M40 have been enabled for Non Tesla use. There are some in Banbury, about a mile off the M40, but non of the service station ones. Maybe thats why it was struggling?

Price wise, they seem about market rate for rapid chargers. Approx £0.60 per kwh going down to £0.40 per kwh if you pay a £10 monthly membership

Looking on the tesla app, no superchargers on the M40 have been enabled for Non Tesla use. There are some in Banbury, about a mile off the M40, but non of the service station ones. Maybe thats why it was struggling?

Price wise, they seem about market rate for rapid chargers. Approx £0.60 per kwh going down to £0.40 per kwh if you pay a £10 monthly membership
The nice thing is that at the moment you could take a monthly subscription and only be a member for a month. If you go on holiday this will already offset these costs at the first rapid charge with 40kwh added.

I used one in France a couple of weeks ago. Had to swap charger but then it worked fine. Signed up for 1 month membership but wish I hadn't. Found cheaper non tesla chargers in all other locations. Le Mans was the only place with limited rapid chargers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom