MG5 Charging Problem

petercoupe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello all,
Just drove down to Heathrow from Norwich and enjoyed the lack of range anxiety I used to get with my ZS.
Trouble is, I couldn’t get the car to charge at my usual charge point ready for the return trip.
I usually use the Tesla rack at Uxbridge, but the car just gave me the ‘connected but not charging’ error message.
Also tried Genie and a BP, but same problem.
AA chap stumped. Tried battery disconnect and OBD code clearer but nothing worked.
Car had to be transported to main dealer but still no response from them as to the problem.
Anyone else had this one?
if so, what was the outcome?
I’ll repost when we get a solution.

That’s a trip I’ll be making often in reverse (my son is at UEA, we live not far from Uxbridge ;-). Which dealer was it recovered to, your home one or one of the locals round here? Is this a Facelift or OGMG5? I hope you get it sorted soon!

It’s an 8 month old MG5 estate.
We only bought it 6 weeks ago to replace our MG ZS because we travel to Heathrow and Yorkshire a fair bit and we were concerned about ‘range anxiety’.
The AA took it from Heathrow car park back to our dealer in Norwich.

Hello all,
Just drove down to Heathrow from Norwich and enjoyed the lack of range anxiety I used to get with my ZS.
Trouble is, I couldn’t get the car to charge at my usual charge point ready for the return trip.
I usually use the Tesla rack at Uxbridge, but the car just gave me the ‘connected but not charging’ error message.
AA chap stumped. Tried battery disconnect and OBD code clearer but nothing worked.
Car had to be transported to main dealer but still no response from them as to the problem.
I'm seeing this more and more, gridserve had a problem with this that they've fixed recently, I never used to have issues with Tesla chargers until the last couple of months and now they never work. Since it's last update, my home charger now no longer recognises that the car is fully charged and just suspends it, retrying every 5 minutes. I suspect SAIC have used some sort of deprecated communication method that later charger updates have removed from their firmware, so maybe the cars need an update. This is the problem with software built to a flexible standard!

I'm seeing this more and more, gridserve had a problem with this that they've fixed recently, I never used to have issues with Tesla chargers until the last couple of months and now they never work. Since it's last update, my home charger now no longer recognises that the car is fully charged and just suspends it, retrying every 5 minutes. I suspect SAIC have used some sort of deprecated communication method that later charger updates have removed from their firmware, so maybe the cars need an update. This is the problem with software built to a flexible standard!
All manufacturers seem to have implemented CCS in differing ways as I'm told the standard isn't tightly defined.
Well known current problem with Tesla chargers at the moment for non-Teslas, they are working on updates for them as many makes having the same problems with them. A search on here will find other reports.

I guess with the Tesla chargers they are in public trials, part of that is to see how difficult it is. Wouldn't blame them if they decide not to bother opening it up further!

I guess with the Tesla chargers they are in public trials, part of that is to see how difficult it is. Wouldn't blame them if they decide not to bother opening it up further!
They did work, as you know, but then they did something, now they're fixing it.
I see that they are now charging the same for Tesla and non-Tesla and have/going to introduce an off peak tariff too.

I used to charge my MGZS on the Tesla ‘open’ network quite regularly, so it was quite a shock to find it no longer worked on my MG5.

Not sure how much fixing it for MGs is going to be a priority. Tesla can claim to have opened up their network and that the issues are down to MG's interpretation of the CCS protocols.
It's not just MGs that the Tesla problem is affecting.

Hello all,
Well, I have the ZS, with a home charge point supplied by EO.......hasn't worked for 4 months, on my 3rd charger, it connects, clicks, back and forth with the charge point and the car, then goes off.
I have had to granny charge it with the three pin plug, MG say nothing wrong with car, but when my neighbour plugs in his BMW into my eo charger, it works, as does the engineers' id4 VW
been the biggest pain in the world, the message is as yours......'connected by not charging'
still waiting for either of the 2 parties to help.......won't hold my breath

Well, I have the ZS, with a home charge point supplied by EO.......hasn't worked for 4 months, on my 3rd charger, it connects, clicks, back and forth with the charge point and the car, then goes off.
I have had to granny charge it with the three pin plug, MG say nothing wrong with car, but when my neighbour plugs in his BMW into my eo charger, it works, as does the engineers' id4 VW
been the biggest pain in the world, the message is as yours......'connected by not charging'
still waiting for either of the 2 parties to help.......won't hold my breath
I am guessing you know all MG's have a problem at home with homeplug / Powerline adapters I have seen this many times, had 4 MG EV's now and everyone has been the same. Only saying in case it helps.

I am guessing you know all MG's have a problem at home with homeplug / Powerline adapters I have seen this many times, had 4 MG EV's now and everyone has been the same. Only saying in case it helps.

Yea, went back to the dealer twice when I first got my ZS. Would charge everywhere except at home. They didn't know about the Powerline problem, but found it whilst Googling.
Took out my Ethernet over Power adaptors and hey presto, home charger worked.

Hello all,
Hi I have the very same issue with my mg zs it's still at the dealers the now

Hello all,
I am just wondering if it could be using a contact debit card a number of times. There is no option to tap in your PIN number. A vacation from Manchester to Norfolk, charging up for a third time and also using the contact card for shopping gave me an error and cut off. Used a different contact debit card and charging was fine. Same issue when using the same card a few times in one day shopping. It rejects it asking for PIN number. Maybe I am wrong.

I am just wondering if it could be using a contact debit card a number of times. There is no option to tap in your PIN number. A vacation from Manchester to Norfolk, charging up for a third time and also using the contact card for shopping gave me an error and cut off. Used a different contact debit card and charging was fine. Same issue when using the same card a few times in one day shopping. It rejects it asking for PIN number. Maybe I am wrong.
Yes. I’ve had this a few times. Usually fixed by going in the shop and buying something and using PIN and charge has worked👍

Had the same problem yesterday at the Tesla charger in Uxbridge. Tried 3 different charge stations and none worked on my MG5. Very frustrating having already been on the road for 6hrs on my slow crawl from Devon to Essex. Luckily I had 25% charge left so was able to get to a back up charge point. I have used these charge stations before without problem so was shocked to discover they weren't currently connecting to MG5. Is there an app that details known issues like this. I only found this thread after finally making it home.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom