Mg5 charging time

Johnnie6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I charged my mg5 lr on a 22kw charger with a single phase cable, after two and half hours it had put in 28 percent,Ive been told it's because 22kw is 3 phase even though 3 phase would not help me is this normal ,thanks.

Most cars. not just the MG5 have 7kw chargers and cannot exceed that on an AC charger no matter how much it can cope with.

There is some incorrect information here. AC 3phase CAN go above 7kW.

Single phase AC is limited to 7kW because of the 32Amp limitations of your supply. 32A x 240v = 7.68kW

Three phase AC is capable of 3x 32A x 240v which is 23.04kW but because of the 97% we can get from 3phases it gets referred to as 22kW. In fact the maximum 3-phase can manage is 43kW at 64Amps.

So, if at home you can get a 3phase feed into a charge unit you can get 22kW. And the MG5 CAN make use of this 3phase supply IF you use a 3phase cable. MG only supply a single phase cable with the car but you can purchase a 3phase type2 5meter cable for about £200 and WILL charge your MG5EV at (up to) 22kWh

DC maximum charge on the MG5 is, from memory as I can’t find the reference right now, about 86kW/h in best case scenario.

There is no way my MG5 SR will take 3 phase as L2 and L3 pins are missing

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_155341.jpg
    IMG_20220416_155341.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 104
I referred indirectly to this yesterday and have just found the table I had with the charging variants, here goes. Not sure where I got it, but I believe it would have been authoritative, otherwise I wouldn't have kept it. Maybe the manual? I certainly snipped it from somewhere into my "useful info" spreadsheet.

For me, it showed that I probably can't reliably use my excess solar.

Screenshot 2022-04-16 160816.jpg

Looks about right. You can plug it into a 3 phase but it will just use it as a single phase

There is some incorrect information here. AC 3phase CAN go above 7kW.

Single phase AC is limited to 7kW because of the 32Amp limitations of your supply. 32A x 240v = 7.68kW

Three phase AC is capable of 3x 32A x 240v which is 23.04kW but because of the 97% we can get from 3phases it gets referred to as 22kW. In fact the maximum 3-phase can manage is 43kW at 64Amps.

So, if at home you can get a 3phase feed into a charge unit you can get 22kW. And the MG5 CAN make use of this 3phase supply IF you use a 3phase cable. MG only supply a single phase cable with the car but you can purchase a 3phase type2 5meter cable for about £200 and WILL charge your MG5EV at (up to) 22kWh

DC maximum charge on the MG5 is, from memory as I can’t find the reference right now, about 86kW/h in best case scenario.
There is some correct information here regarding 3 phase electricity. Unfortunately none of it relates to the MG which only has a single phase charger onboard.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom