Mg5 - crash test rating

leong1983

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post in a while! On test trial with mg5 just now...what a car! (-: only question that remains is....crash test results. Do we have any data on euro ncap or Chinese ncap equivalent? If not, any idea when we might have this?

Answers appreciated!

(-:

It hasn't been, and almost certainly won't be, NCAP tested. It's widely accepted that it wouldn't achieve more than 3 stars due to it lacking the requisite safety systems for a higher score.

It hasn't been, and almost certainly won't be, NCAP tested. It's widely accepted that it wouldn't achieve more than 3 stars due to it lacking the requisite safety systems for a higher score.
The ZS EV received 5 stars, why wouldn’t the MG5??

No collision avoidance, Dynamic Criuse control or LKA for example.

The clue is in the part of my post that you replied to: "due to it lacking the requisite safety systems for a higher score". Safety systems which the ZS does have.

A rating above 3 stars needs vehicle to demonstrate crash avoidance capabilities normally attributed to active safety technologies. Pedestrian-cyclist detection-avoidance using emergency braking, forward collision detection- avoidance are expected features.
To achieve 5 stars, vehicle needs to demonstrate crash avoidance in several scenarios which would need the whole suite of MG Pilot (from MG ZS EV).
The NCAP standards are updated regularly, so car rated 5 star few years back may not achieve the same rating this year.
It would have been good to have a NCAP rating for MG5 even if it was 3 stars. 3 stars implies vehicle demonstrated capabilities to protect all adult and child occupants in the event of a crash which is very reassuring to know.

It's all relative......it has everything except the complex electronic wizardy that stops the car because of a crisp packet floating by, or a cyclist wobbling a bit, or panics on windy roads. It does have ABS, 6 airbags, EBA etc so in old days before they ran out of chips it would have been a 5 NCAP. It's a stupid system because they never go back and reclassify they just make it more difficult.

My current 2006 Honda Jazz has 4 stars for adult occupants, 3 for child occupants and pedestrians. It has two airbags and no electronics other than ABS, so I would suggest the MG5 will be safer by quite a margin. For years I drove cars where a head-on collision would drive the steering column through the driver's chest. I am happy with the MG5 without a test score.

I am considering the MG 5 EV as my next car, so have joined here to find more information

I have been searching for the NCAP rating so this thread is of interest to me,

I watch the actual test videos to see how the passenger compartment stands up to testing

EG the MG 3 test video shows the windscreen pillar move and there are ripples in the roof and you see the doors move back, on the other hand the new ZS EV shows no deformation of the screen pillars or roof and the door shut gaps appear to be the same as before the test indicating the new ZS if capable of absorbing more energy and has a stronger safety cell (but it is a newer chassis and larger)

that information used with the loads indicated by the colours on the driver / passenger in the report give you a fair picture of the safety of the car

the new MG 5 EV is a facelift model with no crash test information from the original model so without the videos it is hard to get a clear picture of the safety of the car

I think it'd be pretty bad compared to c class, golf etc' it's tinny and flimsy feeling through and through...but it is cheap though.

Good point, I think there may be some resignations or dismissals in both camps!

s-l140.webp

What does that prove?
All I see is a car that hit something.
All crash tests should be taken with a pinch of salt. It all depends on what you hit.
My dad came off his bike at 100mph years ago and was perfectly fine. A work colleague of mine was knocked off his at 10mph and broke his arm and collar bone

What does that prove?
All I see is a car that hit something.
All crash tests should be taken with a pinch of salt. It all depends on what you hit.
My dad came off his bike at 100mph years ago and was perfectly fine. A work colleague of mine was knocked off his at 10mph and broke his arm and collar bone
It proves absolutely nothing. It's just a picture of someone's crashed 5ev.

The additional electronics for collision avoidance, lane keep assist etc are all very well, but only if used in the right circumstances. I have a narrowish lane between me and the next village. It is wide enough for two cars to pass, but I am often confronted by a car travelling unnecessarily down the middle of the road straight at me, and have to take avoiding action. I suspect that several of these are using lane keep assist, which is keeping them away from the hedge. LKA especially, in my opinion, should only be used on faster dual carriageways and motorways. I have no experience of using these "safety" features (I have a standard range Excite) but I am quite happy being in full control of my car!

Edit. I should perhaps mention that the narrowish lane above is not wide enough for a centre line, but does have white lines along each side, which is what makes me think that drivers are using LKA - or maybe they are just being pushed towards the centre of the road by the mere existence of the white lines along each edge.

Last edited:
I've had the car a week today and I'm not sure about LKA around town, but I don't think I can turn it off - I seem to always be getting some "assistance" if not warnings.

I've not yet looked at it in more depth though, nor am I really that bothered though as I'll get used to it I expect.

I also find ACC a bit over protective at times around town but I've not yet got round to looking if I can have CC without the A, if you know what I mean :). I've always used cruise control extensively to manage my speed so I'd like to keep it on.

I've had the car a week today and I'm not sure about LKA around town, but I don't think I can turn it off - I seem to always be getting some "assistance" if not warnings.

I've not yet looked at it in more depth though, nor am I really that bothered though as I'll get used to it I expect.

I also find ACC a bit over protective at times around town but I've not yet got round to looking if I can have CC without the A, if you know what I mean :). I've always used cruise control extensively to manage my speed so I'd like to keep it on.
Yes you can turn LKA off and don't use MG Pilot around town. MG Pilot is different to using ACC.
ACC is jus CC but with the extra that it slows you down if the car in front slows down, nothing else, what's not to like.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom