Mg5 - crash test rating

I can't remember the settings I have turned on, but LKA doesn't kick in until 37mph so I tend to not notice until on a 40mph road or above - so I just leave the MG Pilot stalk in the 'on' position and use the button on end to set ACC at 30mph or above.

Because it sometimes sees a parked car as an obstruction and brakes you (way too hard) or if you are following a car and it is turning left (or moves into a centre turning lane to turn right) it brakes you harder than necessary then takes too much time to realise it has gone (i.e. it's slow to pull away again) or if you are following a car around a midi size roundabout it is a bit erratic. I'm learning to live with it and it was a feature I really wanted but it's a bit over zealous sometimes and a bit under-reactive at others.

My own driving is much smoother... but I'll persevere with it a bit longer.

I believe Pilot is different but what are the differences? Seems similar to turning on ACC and LKA except you get the three cars. I only came across it yesterday thanks to the three cars thread here.

I have been driving cars for well over 50 years and have avoided being in a crash without the aid of safety systems. My view is that during this time I have adapted my driving to whatever car I have owned including driving left hand drives whilst living overseas. I find the new safety systems a distraction and as some of you have intimated they over react or incorrectly interpret situations leaving you to make corrections to get back into a safe position. Some safety system advances are great, seat belts, airbags, anti lock brakes, crumple zones etc, but adaptive speed control and lane keeping assist etc seem to be encroaching on what I as the driver should be in control of. When I think a computer can drive better than I can I will have to surrender my licence, hopefully well after I have finished enjoying driving my lovely MG5 SR.

The ability of a computer to do any task is only as good as the individuals who code and test the software. Where computers have an obvious advantage over humans is areas where massive amounts of data need to be processed in a short period of time.

Currently, computer assisted driving aids are just that - aids to the driver. It’s a matter of time (assuming the desire exists) before the software will surpass humans in a wide variety of situations. Replace them? If you can take the unpredictability of human actions out of the equation, then maybe. In reality, probably not for a while.

Personally, I would love to be chauffeured from A to B whilst I did something more interesting than watch the car in front.

Interesting I like your take Biffo. I do like driving and it seems like not driving when you rely on these aids. If you are right about future developments, maybe we wont even need to take a test and just send the car for its MOT Etc. without having to accompany it. Humans are definitely unpredictable but drivers less so as we do at least use a common Highway Code and most of us stick to that code. Computers don’t seem to have the ability to be polite and use there initiative to stop to let drivers out of difficult turns and driveways and pedestrians cross the road etc. So for me I would rather be a driver than a passenger sitting In the driving seat.

I can honestly say, in my 48 years of driving, I have never ever even considered crash test ratings or any other safety features on any car I've bought. To me the more unsafe a car is the more careful you would drive it. All the safety features on modern cars make them feel more like a simulation for some and they drive as if they're in a computer game.

... LKA doesn't kick in until 37mph
I managed my first reasonable run in it yesterday, albeit mainly motorway (if you can call the M25 a motorway!!).

I forgot too test it properly but I am sure I was getting feedback through the steering wheel when below 37mph, even though LKA was off (or maybe in standby).

I do like the ACC but it is still a little abrupt with some of its activities so I'll learn to use a little manual override when those situations arise.

I must admit, using Kers 3, I can't see what all the fuss was over with the brake lights. I'm sure my Ampera was equally fierce, if not more so, with no brake lights. I suppose some might say maybe it was not legal but everyone managed to avoid running into me in three or more years ownership.

I can honestly say, in my 48 years of driving, I have never ever even considered crash test ratings or any other safety features on any car I've bought. To me the more unsafe a car is the more careful you would drive it. All the safety features on modern cars make them feel more like a simulation for some and they drive as if they're in a computer game.
Thirty years ago a colleague of mine suggested that if we all drove Citreon 2CV's we would all be a lot safer as we would drive much more carefully!

i think annual driver MOTs would go a long way to improving all aspects of road safely and compliance with the existing laws 🤷‍♂️ (And for minimal additional cost to drivers, would provide employment for the increased number of examiners required).

Thirty years ago a colleague of mine suggested that if we all drove Citreon 2CV's we would all be a lot safer as we would drive much more carefully!
At least the 2CV had brakes, try driving a Morris Minor and doing an emergency stop.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom