MG5 EV Charging.

Bodger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I put the car on charge at 4 pm yesterday, and left it charging overnight, until 10 am this morning, When then going to start the car it showed 100 percent charge, but only 181 miles? is that normal? as it has happened three times now, when new, it did charge to over 200, the charger is BP Pulse. TIA.

Also the figure on screen is based on you driving in Eco mode but when you switch on the car it reverts to Normal mode.

Upvote 0
As 5teep says it reverts to normal mode plus Kers 2. Switch to Econ and Kers 3 and notice the difference on the predicted mileage.

Upvote 0
I’m getting 180 from my long range so that’s about right I would say. That’s mostly town driving.

Upvote 0
I’m getting 180 from my long range so that’s about right I would say. That’s mostly town driving.

At the beginning of the week when it was 0c - 3c I was getting 160-170 on my SR, mostly long distance A/B roads.
On Friday the temp rose and I was back up to about 200 miles.

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody, The car goes for the safety recall on Thursday, so will ask them, and then try what you all have said.
Mine will always say similar but if you switch it to eco mode and turn any heating off it will go up to 208 or above. Basically the AC on will take a fair amount of the range so switch it all off and see what it goes up to.

Upvote 0
I would be dissapointed with it saying 180 if it's thee long range. it says 180 on my SR and I don't drive economically.

I drove 100 miles on a mix of motorway going at 70/75mph and then some A roads and I have 86 miles left when I got there And I had a car dull of wife, kid and luggage. That was driving in normal mode with heating up, then when I arrived I switched it to eco to see what I could have left.

Upvote 1
Mine will always say similar but if you switch it to eco mode and turn any heating off it will go up to 208 or above. Basically the AC on will take a fair amount of the range so switch it all off and see what it goes up to.
Thank you Adam, I Had the MG5 safety recall done today, and while there I asked if I could look at the :-
  • Adjustable Dual-Height Boot Floor, available on the Long range version, I was very disappointed, It only raises the floor by just over an inch???? they have strengthened the actual movable floor though, I was also told that the only accessories they now do are a spare wheel and mats !

Upvote 0
I put the car on charge at 4 pm yesterday, and left it charging overnight, until 10 am this morning, When then going to start the car it showed 100 percent charge, but only 181 miles? is that normal? as it has happened three times now, when new, it did charge to over 200, the charger is BP Pulse. TIA.
The amount of charge also seems to depend on the temperature. I get 210+ on a warm night in summer (in sunny Sussex) but only around 180 now.
I also suggest the N reading is a more accurate prediction of actual range than the E reading in the winter months. All the best Jon

Upvote 0
That sounds about right in cold weather unfortunately.
I drove 150 miles in to a strong headwind at 1 to 2c I was expecting to have 50 miles left and only had 22 which is disappointing but I think it's a general thing with an EV when it's cold.
I'm looking forward to the summer to see if I get the WLTP range.

Upvote 0
I don't know much about BP chargers but I presume that's a home charger not a BP fast charger somewhere (where you'll only get 80%)?

Upvote 0
The 80% figure should only apply to the advertised high rate charging. If charging continued at the same rate above 80% the battery would overheat. Even a fast charger should charge above 80% but at a reduced rate.

Upvote 0
80% is a good figure for a DC rapid charger, AC fast chargers will go to 100% no problem then drop to 500w during battery balancing

Upvote 0
The 80% figure should only apply to the advertised high rate charging. If charging continued at the same rate above 80% the battery would overheat. Even a fast charger should charge above 80% but at a reduced rate.
I don't know much about BP chargers but I presume that's a home charger not a BP fast charger somewhere (where you'll only get 80%)?
The granny charger is a slow charger, home chargers (7kw) are fast chargers even though they don't seem like it and DC such as the BP mentioned are rapid chargers. It helps to avoid confusion if the right terms are used. :)

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom