MG5 facelift having trouble opening passenger door

snowyy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi we are having trouble opening the passenger door. i'm aware of the door release switch and have used it but it doesn't release the door am i doing something wrong. Why does everything get so complicated ?

Are you talking about opening the door or unlocking the door?

I’m having similar issues with opening rear passenger door from inside. It’s like the child lock is on, but it isn’t. I have no problem opening it from the outside.

It did randomly start working again briefly few days ago but then just as quickly stopped working again.

Are you talking about opening the door or unlocking the door?
Hi when ever i drop my partner off she has problems opening the door on one occasion i had to get out and open it for her...normally i would blame her! but it's now becoming quite often this happens i have scrolled through the various options without actually knowing what they all do. I did read somewhere that you have to pull the lever twice to release the door but that doesn't seem to work now.

Sure I saw it somewhere the MG4 was also having this issue.

Hi when ever i drop my partner off she has problems opening the door on one occasion i had to get out and open it for her...normally i would blame her! but it's now becoming quite often this happens i have scrolled through the various options without actually knowing what they all do. I did read somewhere that you have to pull the lever twice to release the door but that doesn't seem to work now.
So you are talking about opening the door from the inside?

I’m having similar issues with opening rear passenger door from inside. It’s like the child lock is on, but it isn’t. I have no problem opening it from the outside.

It did randomly start working again briefly few days ago but then just as quickly stopped working again.
I have this problem and someone on another forum has the issue. His dealer is replacing g the latch. I have mine booked in.

So tried it last night with the car powered up and on the third attempt of pulling the lever the door was open. this is going to frustrate the hell out of someone i know!

You could try turning off the anti-theft system (as I believe that's what auto locks the doors) to see if that is the explanation. Must be in the menus somewhere. If it is, you can leave it off if you want but then you just have to remember to unlock the doors before your passenger tries to get out...

Or use the easy fix - get yourself an updated and less impatient passenger :)

Recently this has become a common issue on the most recent deliveries of the ZS EV face lift model.
More commonly on the front passengers door, when it refuses to open when the internal handle has been pulled.
There has been a few accidents of the rear doors acting the same, but mainly it’s the N/S/F internal handle that does not work.
External handle works fine !.
The internal handle never worked correctly on collection day on my brothers brand new ZS EV Trophy LR.
The dealer ordered a brand new complete replacement door locking mechanism and this rectified the problem instantly.
Covered under warranty of course, but the price if the lock was about £85 and it was in the workshop for about one hour.
The dealer had received complaints from three other owners, that their cars had the same issue.
Sounds like a bad batch of locks have been installed.
It has been covered on the ZS EV Gen 2 pages, if you want to pay a visit.

You could try turning off the anti-theft system (as I believe that's what auto locks the doors) to see if that is the explanation. Must be in the menus somewhere. If it is, you can leave it off if you want but then you just have to remember to unlock the doors before your passenger tries to get out...

Or use the easy fix - get yourself an updated and less impatient passenger :)
Like the idea of a less impatient passenger :) i will look to see what settings i can change. when i do remember to us the unlock switch it still remains locked!:rolleyes:

I'm still trying to understand what the problem actually is :unsure:
When you invoke the unlock function by pulling a door handle once or operating the unlock switch, is it only the passenger door that fails to unlock?

For me, all the doors are unlocked, but the handle on the inside rear passenger side will not open the door. Outside handle opens it fine.

Recently this has become a common issue on the most recent deliveries of the ZS EV face lift model.
More commonly on the front passengers door, when it refuses to open when the internal handle has been pulled.
There has been a few accidents of the rear doors acting the same, but mainly it’s the N/S/F internal handle that does not work.
External handle works fine !.
The internal handle never worked correctly on collection day on my brothers brand new ZS EV Trophy LR.
The dealer ordered a brand new complete replacement door locking mechanism and this rectified the problem instantly.
Covered under warranty of course, but the price if the lock was about £85 and it was in the workshop for about one hour.
The dealer had received complaints from three other owners, that their cars had the same issue.
Sounds like a bad batch of locks have been installed.
It has been covered on the ZS EV Gen 2 pages, if you want to pay a visit.
Had the same problem with our MG5 facelift.

Got it home, I got in the passenger side to have a play. When I got out it was almost like the handle failed (cable came off if it has one) door was half open half closed with lock engaged. Could open from the outside. But inside was impossible

Dealership had never heard of it before 😉🤣, but had the replacement latch ready to be installed. Touch wood fingers crossed no problems since.

I'm still trying to understand what the problem actually is :unsure:
When you invoke the unlock function by pulling a door handle once or operating the unlock switch, is it only the passenger door that fails to unlock?
yes that's correct also the rear LH door takes four attempts to open the RH appears to operate normally

That definitely sounds like a fault then. Back to the dealer I'm afraid.

Same issue here. Front passenger door won't open from inside on most occasions. Booked in with the dealer.

Same issue here. Front passenger door won't open from inside on most occasions. Booked in with the dealer.
This N/S/F door internal door handle not responding started to first crop up, on a fairly recent batch of delivered ZS EV face lift models, that many had not even left the showrooms.
My brothers ZS Trophy LR being one of them.
The local dealer was able to obtain a complete new locking mechanism within about 4 - 5 days and it was booked in the following days to be replaced, all now working as it should.
The dealer had been contacted by other recent delivery customers, complaining about the same thing.
The fact that the dealer was able to procure a few new spares in a very short time frame, suggested to me that they had prior notice of this problem.
Not sure if this is a common part across other MG models, but it may go someway to explaining why other models are popping up now ??.
Obviously sounding a lot like a faulty batch of locking mechanisms.
I am a little puzzled how these affected cars have slipped through the quality assurance checks at the factory though ??.

Perhaps the fault only manifests after a period of use?
Knowing MG, even if they had a known faulty batch of components it's unlikely they would be proactive. Better to let it fail in customer hands :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom