MG5 facelift having trouble opening passenger door

Perhaps the fault only manifests after a period of use?
Knowing MG, even if they had a known faulty batch of components it's unlikely they would be proactive. Better to let it fail in customer hands :(
I do agree, but what makes me a bit suspicious here is this.
Anybody who waited for spare parts to arrive from MG ( I include myself here ) the turn around time is usually very lengthy, as other members have experienced.
So having a new lock in stock in the UK and getting shipped to the dealer within 4 - 5 days is almost unheard of !.
The fault on my brothers car was discovered on collection day from the dealer.
The dealer also had a few more locks ready to hand, to correct the same problem on other recently delivered cars, does make me wonder a bit ?????.

Last edited:
Hi we are having trouble opening the passenger door. i'm aware of the door release switch and have used it but it doesn't release the door am i doing something wrong. Why does everything get so complicated ?
Me too with our christmas delivery, both front & rear passenger doors wont open form the inside. Back to the dealer for the 2nd time.

Me too with our christmas delivery, both front & rear passenger doors wont open form the inside. Back to the dealer for the 2nd time.
Long shot here, but I am just wondering if it's a common part number lock used on every model ??.

Here is the part number of the passengers front door lock used on the ZS EV facelift model, for anybody who would like to compare, with other models in the range.

ZS EV Lock 2023-01-09 at 22.26.28.png

I do agree, but what makes me a bit suspicious here is this.
Anybody who waited for spare parts to arrive from MG ( I include myself here ) the turn around time is usually very lengthy, as other members have experienced.
So having a new lock in stock in the UK and getting shipped to the dealer within 4 - 5 days is almost unheard of !.
The fault on my brothers car was discovered on collection day from the dealer.
The dealer also had a few more locks ready to hand, to correct the same problem on other recently delivered cars, does make me wonder a bit ?????.
Hi Jeff I think you right I remember the trouble you had getting standard brake part for you car took weeks and weeks I posted the other day about my neighbor getting his MG5 back from the body shop on Christmas Eve after 5 months of waiting for body panels but he also told me that in the body shop they had a Tesla which as been there for over 2 years waiting on body parts and a traction battery which got damaged in the crash 2 years for God sake it appears MG know there’s a problem with the window mechanism but don’t know on which cars so try it if it’s an issue just change it bit like the oil breather on the 4 Neither are good for customer relations.
Les

Last edited:
My dealer has confirmed the issue on my Trophy and is ordering a replacement door opening mechanism.

Has anyone had their doors fixed I'm still waiting . Having said that the front passenger door is now working as I would expect it to. I put the car into park press unlock and for releases first attemp. Is it possible there's been an over air update?

Has anyone had their doors fixed I'm still waiting . Having said that the front passenger door is now working as I would expect it to. I put the car into park press unlock and for releases first attemp. Is it possible there's been an over air update?
My brother had his N/S/F lock replaced very quickly and then a week latter discovered that the N/S/R door would not open from the inside.
The dealer has a new lock on order.
Over the air update are not available for the ZS EV face lift, so I don’t think it’s that.

Looks like I join the queue for a new door lock. Must say Richmond MG Portsmouth did provide me with MG ZSEV SE small battery to run around in whilst they carried out their investigations..
Advised door lock is on back order.

Advised door lock is on back order
My brother is still awaiting a new lock for his N/S/R door on his ZS EV LR.
It comes as no surprise to me that the locks are on back order, given the number of replacements that have already been required recently !.
Have they give you an ETA for the new lock ?.

My brother is still awaiting a new lock for his N/S/R door on his ZS EV LR.
It comes as no surprise to me that the locks are on back order, given the number of replacements that have already been required recently !.
Have they give you an ETA for the new lock ?.
No ETA was available :-( But not unexpected with the covid situation in China and the time it has taken to ship stuff.... Got to love just in time economics.... Hopefully these issues will resolve as China starts to behave a little like the rest of world concerning covid

No ETA was available :-( But not unexpected with the covid situation in China and the time it has taken to ship stuff.... Got to love just in time economics.... Hopefully these issues will resolve as China starts to behave a little like the rest of world concerning covid
Hey

I have been waiting a while for this part. They have stated this is being caused by the number of replacement being required. I believe it is the same part for the ZS and 5. I was told today they think it will be her next week. fingers crossed.

#MG5 LR Trophy FL

We were test driving an MG5 facelift the other day and SWMBO couldn't get out of the front passenger door. As we're thinking of buying one, is there a way of provoking the issue? Or should I assume that - if it takes 12 weeks to arrive - that the problem would be fixed?

Door lock has arrived ....
now wait until July until dealership can fit me in for repair.
That’s ridiculous!.
You wait months & months the part to arrive and then another two months to get it fitted !.
I mean come on dealer, it’s a 30 minute job for god’s sake !.
I would be worried that your new lock finds its way onto somebody else’s car or gets lost in that length of time.
Good job it’s not due for a MOT right now, or it would fail !.
Never mind the safety concerns if you was involved in an accident and needed to leave the car quickly !.
If you were paying for the job to be done, I bet you would have been sorted in a couple of days, or if you had been driving a loan car, the part would be fitted the same day it arrived.
MG CS would have seen to that !.
Dealer putting paying customer first I think also here.

Last edited:
I’m having the same issue on my MG5 facelift version (1 year old). Internal door opening doesn’t work on passenger side despite clicking the unlock button - works sporadically on the 3/4/5th click of the unlocking button, but getting worse.

started on the passenger side front, issue now also on the rear passenger side

I’m an owner of an MG5 refreshed and seeing the same issue. The passenger side door won’t open from the inside and despite many clicks of the central unlocking system it still gets stuck. Often it can take up to 10 presses of the unlocking system to get it open. It opens from the outside.

Looks like the same issue as others are reporting.

There is a known issue with the FL passenger doors latches. I had both mine replaced under warranty 2 months after getting the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom