MG5 facelift Review Thread

I heard back from MG, there is no manual for the facelift apart from that which is actually on the car itself...
1670257192438.png

I shall definitely try, hopefully today.
Here are some pics
I have the manual on the car and on my App but I'm yet to see any way to download or share the info. I might be able to take a pic of each page then attach each pic. Sorry I'm.not especially tech minded.

Attachments

• 20221205_152523.jpg
    20221205_152523.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20221205_145146.jpg
    20221205_145146.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 20221205_164034.jpg
    20221205_164034.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 149
Gorgeous in red! We went for silver and I don’t usually like red cars except Porsches, but this is really nice 🙂

I have the manual on the car and on my App but I'm yet to see any way to download or share the info. I might be able to take a pic of each page then attach each pic. Sorry I'm.not especially tech minded.
The pages I’d like to see are the one with the dashboard layout (does it actually show a RHD facelift dashboard) and the page about charging (does it say 7kW or 11kW — mg say it should be 7kW for the UK model but odd things happen!).

It does look lovely in Red, I've ordered the Trophy Long Range in Picadilly Blue as that was the colour on display in the showroom but now think I should have gone Red.

It does look lovely in Red, I've ordered the Trophy Long Range in Picadilly Blue as that was the colour on display in the showroom but now think I should have gone Red.
The blue looks great too, I was going to go either way but my son loves red cars at the moment so I went for it. (He's only 5 lol)

The pages I’d like to see are the one with the dashboard layout (does it actually show a RHD facelift dashboard) and the page about charging (does it say 7kW or 11kW — mg say it should be 7kW for the UK model but odd things happen!).
I shall take a couple of pics tomorrow and upload them.

Problems during the 1000km challenge. I think it is similiar what happend to other members over time.

It is keen to note throughout this review the car had TPMS issues. Also that |Bjorn himself felt the issue was charger based and not so much the car. However the MG5 and a 3month baby broke Bjorn....

Help, any insurance companies that actually have the car on their system. Supposed to be collecting tomorrow and can’t find insurance. Go Compare has the car listed but no insurance companies. Lloyds, Admiral (special division looking into some special arrangement), Direct Line all don’t have the car.

Hi, there is a thread on this MG5 insurance topic definitely worth having a read. I got mine though Direct Line.

Hi, there is a thread on this MG5 insurance topic definitely worth having a read. I got mine though Direct Line.
We aren’t with Direct Line, as a new quote computer said no, facelift MG5 not on their system so couldn’t insure. Do I need to ask for a certain department?

Have found the insurance thread, will try NFU and APlan tomorrow. I am not too sure about insuring as an Exclusive with the insurance company “noting” it’s an exclusive. Love to see how that plays out after and accident. Thanks for your help 👍

I drove the new facelift MG5 today and was impressed. The ride was comfortable and softer than the MG4 which I'd driven immediately before, and I didn't notice that it was bumpy - seemed limousine-like. The interior is much more attractive and welcoming than the MG4, which I thought rather dark and austere. I thought the car is nice to drive though not as sharp as the MG4. Good infotainment system. Haven't tried the pre-facelift 'old' MG5, which I assume drives and rides much the same. If it's free of the reported MG4 quality control issues then I'm tempted.

I have been looking at the face lifted MG5 but the quotes I have managed to get for insurance are around double what I have paid for my MK1 MG5.
That was around £340 the new one with some is over £700 I couldn’t believe it would be so much extra for insurance have others been getting anything similar may I ask.?
Les

I have been looking at the face lifted MG5 but the quotes I have managed to get for insurance are around double what I have paid for my MK1 MG5.
That was around £340 the new one with some is over £700 I couldn’t believe it would be so much extra for insurance have others been getting anything similar may I ask.?
Les
Hey

Have you tried getting quotes in the last few weeks. I know I saw high quotes before it showed up properly on the insurance db.

Where do your live?

Regards

That's odd. The facelifted MG5 is no faster (I think it accelerates a little slower) and has better safety features. The only reason the insurance is higher could be because the car is more valuable, but otherwise it doesn't make sense. Maybe shop around and ask them why they are quoting such a big increase.

Hey

Have you tried getting quotes in the last few weeks. I know I saw high quotes before it showed up properly on the insurance db.

Where do your live?

Regards
Hi simorgan42
Yeh I have been trying for a few weeks now I was quite after I did my post yesterday when I tried again late last night it wasn’t £700 it was £834 from the same institution Admiral via go compare
I live in the north west 2 drivers 76 &74 full no claims & no points on ether.
Les

Hi simorgan42
Yeh I have been trying for a few weeks now I was quite after I did my post yesterday when I tried again late last night it wasn’t £700 it was £834 from the same institution Admiral via go compare
I live in the north west 2 drivers 76 &74 full no claims & no points on ether.
Les
mmh does seem a little high. Not sure this helps but for comparison.

I am with Admiral in London (N16) with two driver and two cars (MG5 and Fiat 500 not EV sadly). Both of us are early 50s with no claims etc... Two cars does give a small discount.

I am paying ~£588 in total. That's also monthly payments (£49/month) which is slightly higher than a one off payment as well.

Hi again simorgan thank you for that information above I haven’t tried the multi car route but I might just give it ago if I decide to buy another 5 and if I do that would mean 2 EVs the 4&5 but how much difference it might make I don’t know I will ring admiral direct and ask only thing I can see that might be ramping it up is our age but more than double for the face lifted car just might stop me even thinking about another.
Les

Hi again simorgan thank you for that information above I haven’t tried the multi car route but I might just give it ago if I decide to buy another 5 and if I do that would mean 2 EVs the 4&5 but how much difference it might make I don’t know I will ring admiral direct and ask only thing I can see that might be ramping it up is our age but more than double for the face lifted car just might stop me even thinking about another.
Les
Hi, I'm with Direct Line max no claims fully comp, no extras mines £500 a year. Just FYI, hope that helps.

I paid £247 for my MG5 Mk I back in August - not clear what you paid for yours Les.

I just got a quote (Go Compare & confused.com) to a Mk II and the cheapest comparable is £349, though prices go beyond £700. But that's always the case with those sites.

So it seems the Mk II insurance may be a bit higher, but then the car is worth quite a bit more (in my case, about 30% more than my price new, due to Affinity ending), we are in a period of high inflation and I believe the insurers are having to stop the discounting they used to do to attract business.

Hi smokie you say back in august you paid £247 good price indeed, see #40 mine was £340 but surely you £247 is for the MK1 car.

The latest uplifted model with the new front end that only became available in the Uk a few weeks ago wasn’t around in August the prices on the new model have more than doubled that’s if you can get a price we know everything as increased in price of late but this is ridiculous for insurance for all but the same car.
Les

Yes, From my post...

"I paid £247 for my MG5 Mk I back in August"

and

"I just got a quote (Go Compare & confused.com) to a Mk II and the cheapest comparable is £349, "

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom