MG5 Front Collision Avoidance

Coyote

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Problem with collision avoidance, several times this has been actuated by pedestrians walking down the pavement on my left towards me when in built up area is there any adjustment or modification to avoid this ?

Problem with collision avoidance, several times this has been actuated by pedestrians walking down the pavement on my left towards me when in built up area is there any adjustment or modification to avoid this ?
I wish there was, but every time I turn it OFF in the ‘car’ settings, it resets itself to ON when I next start up. But, for me, I find unexpected and completely unnecessary emergency stops positively dangerous and prefer not to use it. I think this subject has appeared on other threads and rarely receives positive comment!

I wish there was, but every time I turn it OFF in the ‘car’ settings, it resets itself to ON when I next start up. But, for me, I find unexpected and completely unnecessary emergency stops positively dangerous and prefer not to use it. I think this subject has appeared on other threads and rarely receives positive comment!
Fortunately mine has never done an emergency stop even though it is set to if needed.

I quite like having it on, I'm not averse to having technology save me from accidents where poss. Only wish it had stopped me reversing into the lamppost (actually the lamppost caught the side/back corner of the car not the back itself, hence no reversing warning).

It's never done an emergency stop for me, though I've had the beepy warnings.

ACC works a little prematurely and over eagerly sometimes when approaching an obstruction etc around town but having now got a bit used to it I can now mostly anticipate when it will cut in.

Fortunately mine has never done an emergency stop even though it is set to if needed.
You're lucky. My one and only occurred in a built up area as I was at low speed in the nearside lane cruising towards a red light. No traffic in front of me. At the same time, another car came to a gentle controlled stop at a junction on my nearside as I approached the lights. We reached this junction around the same time and my MG5 slammed on the brakes, locking the wheels. Frightening. Thankfully there was no one behind me.

Last edited:
My Seat Leon always mistakes a pedestrian bridge on the local bypass for a potential collision as it comes into range of the radar just as you crest the hill! Freaks you out the first few times until you realise what it is. Luckily due to the proximity it only warns not brakes.

While such 'phantom breaking' events feel dangerous, the truth is that slowing down is unlikely to cause a severe accident whereas the potential for avoiding such accidents is enormously increased with AEB.

Personally I'm happy to have an MG5 SR which doesn't have any active safety tech. However, I know that the statistics are in favour of the robots.

While such 'phantom breaking' events feel dangerous, the truth is that slowing down is unlikely to cause a severe accident whereas the potential for avoiding such accidents is enormously increased with AEB.

Personally I'm happy to have an MG5 SR which doesn't have any active safety tech. However, I know that the statistics are in favour of the robots.
Trouble is there seems to be a legal grey area about who is at fault if car automation causes an accident. Seems hard to prove HAL did it!

Hal_9000_Panel.svg.png

Over zealous AEB wouldn't cause an accident, if someone runs into the back of you it's their fault for being too close. :unsure:
In my current car I've had it jam the brakes whilst I turned into a junction as someone was turning into their drive (totally on the other side of the road by the time I was round the corner) and I was at a standstill and couldn't disengage the brake and had to turn it off and on again, if someone came around the corner even at low speed they might have not expected me to be there and knocked into me. Whose fault would that have been? Me for not remembering how to disengage a system that rarely engages or the programmer for not being able to anticipate a drive next to a junction?

If some one comes round a corner and hits a stationary object (your car) it's their fault, no question about it. :unsure:

In my current car I've had it jam the brakes whilst I turned into a junction as someone was turning into their drive (totally on the other side of the road by the time I was round the corner) and I was at a standstill and couldn't disengage the brake and had to turn it off and on again, if someone came around the corner even at low speed they might have not expected me to be there and knocked into me. Whose fault would that have been? Me for not remembering how to disengage a system that rarely engages or the programmer for not being able to anticipate a drive next to a junction?
A car turning, into a driveway or a side road or whatever has no speed away or towards you, and the car effectively sees it as a 'brick wall' ahead. Unfortunately it's a computer and cannot see that the 'brick wall' will disappear off to the side before you get to it.
This effect is quite common when close to the car in front and it turns left. You know it will be gone before you get to that spot as it has sideways movement but the computer doesn't, it just sees a car at standstill in front.

I quite like having it on, I'm not averse to having technology save me from accidents where poss. Only wish it had stopped me reversing into the lamppost (actually the lamppost caught the side/back corner of the car not the back itself, hence no reversing warning).

It's never done an emergency stop for me, though I've had the beepy warnings.

ACC works a little prematurely and over eagerly sometimes when approaching an obstruction etc around town but having now got a bit used to it I can now mostly anticipate when it will cut in.
The ACC can be adjusted by twisting the stack clockwise, so it allows a shorter gap between you and the car in front before stepping in. Of course this resets every time you start the car.

I am very grateful to ACC. Yesterday, on a dual carriageway a car in front stopped suddenly (looks like it had missed a turning) I was looking at console at the time and my brakes came on a second before I saw the hazard and a collision was avoided. It was the first time in 18mths ownership that the car had applied brakes on its own accord, so I feel that this is a really useful safety device.

You can set it to warn and not brake. That setting is persistent.
That's how I use mine.
Same with Lane Assist - warn only.

You're lucky. <SNIP>. We reached this junction around the same time and my MG5 slammed on the brakes, locking the wheels. Frightening. <SNIP>

I'd get your ABS checked out - wheels shouldn't lock and if they do that may result in an even more frightening scenario.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom