MG5 LR Elite 2022 Abrupt throttle when slow manouvering

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We have just noticed that the slow speed throttle (when doing tight manouvering/ parking at home on our 10° print parking) about 1 out of 3 slow speed movings( both forward and reverse) is VERY abrupt, like the throttle curve may be being affected by heat.
It is not consistent
Is this a known issue.
Seems not an issue in normal driving, only slow speed parking/ manouvering
Can it be recalibrated.
Thank

I have found that using auto hold causes this. Make sure it is turned off and see how your low speed manoeuvreability (excuse spelling) is then.

Frank

PS Just be aware that with auto hold off the car the will creep forward or backwards depending on your drive setting. In slow manoeuvres I find it is possible just to use the brake to control the car's creep and therefore negates the need to actually use the go faster pedal.

Last edited:
Cheers Frank -Do you mean the autohold behind
the rotary gear actually comes on and off when reversing, AND one can turn the "A" button off upon each manouver.
We have never noticed this to be honest, but understand if this is the case.
Was taken aback the 1st time it happened was so abrupt I nearly shot into our side fence.
Areciated
Rog

Cheers Frank -Do you mean the autohold behind
the rotary gear actually comes on and off when reversing, AND one can turn the "A" button off upon each manouver.
We have never noticed this to be honest, but understand if this is the case.
Was taken aback the 1st time it happened was so abrupt I nearly shot into our side fence.
Areciated
Rog
You can turn the autohold off and on whenever you like. I have it on for driving, but as soon as I need to manoeuvre for example to park, I press the button to turn it off.

Hi again, is hill hold and auto hold the same thing.We rarely use Autohold.
If we have an issue likely Hill Hold, which one as a driver can't overide.
As said quite a steep drive, but we do not usually need to use Autohold.
And 1100 miles in we have only noted this low speed abruptness since the hot weather
Thank You

Hi again, is hill hold and auto hold the same thing.We rarely use Autohold.
If we have an issue likely Hill Hold, which one as a driver can't overide.
As said quite a steep drive, but we do not usually need to use Autohold.
And 1100 miles in we have only noted this low speed abruptness since the hot weather
Thank You
No hill hold and autohold are 2 different things.

Autohold is simply the car applies the parking brake for you automatically when you come to a stop and releases it automatically when you press the accelerator. For me it saves having to do it myself manually.

Hillhold only operates as you know when you are holding the car on a hill with the footbrake (handbrake is off). It then keeps the brakes applied for 1 to 2 seconds while you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

So as we are not using Autohold and the car occasionally gives an " abrupt" kick of acceleration when the car is sideways and or angled on a slope.
WHY MAY THIS HAPPEN.
The car is generally in Eco and kers 3

Thanks

So as we are not using Autohold and the car occasionally gives an " abrupt" kick of acceleration when the car is sideways and or angled on a slope.
WHY MAY THIS HAPPEN.
The car is generally in Eco and kers 3

Thanks
Only guessing but try changing to Normal instead of Eco. It doesn't make any real difference economy wise but the 'pull away' I feel is smoother. Maybe it's a combination of hillhold and mode.....who knows, it's sometimes difficult to understand how someone else's car 'feels'.
Perhaps because you are on a hill/slope you are subconsciously applying a little more pressure on the throttle than normal.
Try different things and eliminate as much as possible.
Good luck.

Right, it it clear the " issue" is the autopark coming on and the " slight" delay when in eco mode.
What does seem strange now 2 months into ownership, is that we both found it with confidence to press Autohold, thus we tend to hold the car on the brakes for virtually all our driving the MG5.
This is why a while ago I asked on this forum if the car's initial pulling away without ones foot on the throttle is as intended
But now it seems the autohold is nearly always coming on when the car is stopped.
Is it possible the autohold will engage itself more as the car gains mileage is now it's done 1100 miles
thank you

I found on my ZS EV that it was easy to turn the Autohold off/on without realising because of my arm position on the central rest. This doesn't occur for me in the 5 though.
It should not turn itself off or on by itself but be aware if anything could be touching that button whilst sat e.g. items in jacket pockets......

We were out on Saturday last and the Autohold came on nearly all the time when we stopped.
My understanding is would come on on slopes.
Till Saturday never noticed it come on( obviously don't always look as quite a look away from viewing forward).
We were out today and Autohold did not come on.
I have booked our dealer( Richmond Portsmouth) for them to look at the infotainment system (as in 2 months it has turned off about 12 times and only come back on by parking/ locking up OR by accident re- connecting a smartphone) and ask about the Autohold.
If the autohold is say a mercury type switch or similar( ie part mechanical) maybe it could stick or come on incorrectly.
Thank you

We were out on Saturday last and the Autohold came on nearly all the time when we stopped.
My understanding is would come on on slopes.

Till Saturday never noticed it come on( obviously don't always look as quite a look away from viewing forward).
We were out today and Autohold did not come on.
I have booked our dealer( Richmond Portsmouth) for them to look at the infotainment system (as in 2 months it has turned off about 12 times and only come back on by parking/ locking up OR by accident re- connecting a smartphone) and ask about the Autohold.
If the autohold is say a mercury type switch or similar( ie part mechanical) maybe it could stick or come on incorrectly.
Thank you
You still seem to be getting Autohold and Hillhold mixed up.

If Autohold is on (you can tell by looking at the button by your side and you will see a light is on, on the button) - then it will automatically apply the brakes when you come to a standstill EVERY time you stop, and a green parking brake symbol will illuminate on the dash whilst you are stopped. (the same one that is red when you press the big P button on the gear selector, so need to look down to see if it's on).

You have no control over turning on or off the hillhold. That will work for just 1 or 2 seconds after you have held the car on the footbrake on a slope, giving you time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator without rolling.

Clearly there is something amiss with Autohold as we have rarely engaged it ourselves and seems most of the 2 months we have had the car we are holding the brake on when stopped eg in traffic,with no Autohold automatically engaged.
However as said last Saturday Autohold was on automatically virtually all the time

I think the confusing thing is Autohold is not generally automatically deploying.
I often have to switch mine on. Sometimes it remembers the setting and other times it completely forgets and I have to press the button to reactivate it.

I think the confusing thing is Autohold is not generally automatically deploying.
If it's on it's on, if it's off it's off, you control it with the button by your side. Just check it each time you switch on before you set off and you will know what to expect.

I often have to switch mine on. Sometimes it remembers the setting and other times it completely forgets and I have to press the button to reactivate it.
It does sometimes seem to have a mind of it's own but it doesn't, it's a computer and follows it's rules............problem is nobody has told us what the rules are about whether it will be on or off when we switch on. :ROFLMAO: however if it's on it's on and vice versa.

If it's on it's on, if it's off it's off, you control it with the button by your side. Just check it each time you switch on before you set off and you will know what to expect.
Right, I really only just got that, completely missed the driver as the initiator of the autohold- for the duration of a drive.
So clearly I/ we have accidently engaged it or noted the symbol on the dash.
A revelation THANK YOU
Roger

We have just noticed that the slow speed throttle (when doing tight manouvering/ parking at home on our 10° print parking) about 1 out of 3 slow speed movings( both forward and reverse) is VERY abrupt, like the throttle curve may be being affected by heat.
It is not consistent
Is this a known issue.
Seems not an issue in normal driving, only slow speed parking/ manouvering
Can it be recalibrated.
Thank
Auto hold creates this problem if you are using it turn it off then the car will creep by taking your foot off the brake, should help.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom