MG5 LR vs MG ZS EV First Thoughts

Highfive

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I've been reading the posts here for some time but this is my first post.

My wife bought a ZS EV Exclusive last October to replace a 17 year old Rover 45. I enjoy driving it so much that I've just leased an MG5 LR Exclusive so we're now an all electric MG family!

It's still early days with the MG5, but thought I jot down a few notes on the experience so far.

Driving:
I prefer the MG5, it's quicker, handles better and has a better ride all round. On the other hand, my wife prefers the ZS because of the elevated driving position. Her driving is generally more local, whereas mine is a mix of local and motorway. I'm hoping the MG5 will get slightly better miles/kWh on the motorway, but haven't done enough motorway miles yet. I feel the MG Pilot generally works better on the 5, maybe they've made a few tweaks to the sensor / algorithms. In particular, I like that regen is used when decelerating which isn't the case on the ZS.

Exterior:
Both cars look okay. The ZS styling is a little more individual (I actually prefer the starfield grill to the new model ZS). Love them or hate them, the ZS windmill wheels look a little smarter than the '90s style alloys on the MG5. The MG5 wheels also don't seem to be designed for EV use.

Interior:
I miss the ZS panoramic sunroof, but not that much. We tend to use the ZS for family days out, which is when the sunroof gets most use anyway. The MG5 instrument cluster is much better, I really like the hybrid screen and analogue dials. In general, the MG5 is ahead on comfort - winter climate control seems good, but the big test will be in the summer as I find myself constantly cycling the A/C on and off on the ZS in warm weather. Auto dimming rear mirror on the MG5 is also very welcome.

One thing that I really don't like on the 5 is the left foot rest. I am not particularly tall, but it seems much too close to the seat compared to the pedals. I find that I am constantly alternating between crossing my left leg under my right and left leg bent with foot on the rest. If anyone has managed to remove the plastic part or other adjustment, I would be very interested to know!

Features:
The big miss for me is the lack of Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RTCA) on the MG5. This is especially perplexing because rear visibility in the 5 is much worse than the ZS. I'm not sure what hardware sensors are used for this, but I would have thought it was a combination of the rear camera and ultrasonics. So theoretically, it should just be a software thing. Similarly, with the Automatic Emergency Braking System / Pedestrians (AEB / AEBP). Hopefully, I will never need these, but the logic for deleting them from the MG5 escapes me.

All in all, both cars are great. The ZS really blew me away when we got it with such an amazing spec for the price. The MG5 is also a great car for the price, but a little less wow factor.

I noticed the issue with the foot rest being too close to the seat on my test drive of the 5LR. I thought it was just me as you are the first person I am aware of who has mentioned it on this forum. I figured I would get used to it eventually- yet to find out as I am still awaiting delivery!
As you say, it would be great to hear if anyone has come up with a solution.

I don't have a problem with the foot rest. How tall are you?

So I'm only 5'8 but I find the MG5 made for people with short legs and long arms. I always drive quite far back but then my arms have to stretch a little. I don't find the footrest bad, i just find generally the pedals too close.

I've driven the new ZS and own the MG5 and driving performance the MG5 wins all the way for me, the ZS just feels sluggish compared but i think the MG5 may have too much power for its tyres as I can wheelspin very easily in the 5.

I am 5'10 and just noticed it was a big difference compared to my Nissan Leaf. I'm sure it will be fine once I have readjusted!

So I'm only 5'8 but I find the MG5 made for people with short legs and long arms. I always drive quite far back but then my arms have to stretch a little.
Doesn't the combination of seat and steering wheel adjustment compensate for that though?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom