Mg5 not charging properly with zappi after service

Andrewpmg5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone has had the same experience or suggestions.

We've been charging our mg5 quite happily using solar in the zappi eco+ mode for nearly a year.

The car had its first annual service a couple of days ago though and since that it seems to charge a bit but when I check back later the zappi says "charge complete" when it isn't.

I think that they updated the firmware as part of the service. It is currently EP22_MCEUK_NAV_31.13 200611_R.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew

Thanks, I have tried with public chargers which seem fine. It was fine prior to service though with eco+, my guess is that it now doesn't like charging starting and stopping for some reason after the update?

Try setting the 'end charge' setting in the Zappi compatibility options to a larger number like 90s and see how you get on.

I think that they updated the firmware as part of the service. It is currently EP22_MCEUK_NAV_31.13 200611_R.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew
That is the Infotainment software version number not any software updates for the car.

I have sorted it thanks, not sure whether just coincidence but it did seem to start working fine again after I updated the zappi firmware to the most recent version. I'm happy with both so hope you also enjoy your new purchases.

Actually, I replied too soon! Just happened again claiming charge complete when only 70 odd percent. I'll try the other suggestions around zappi settings and let you know. I think it only happens on eco+ where the sun goes away for a while and instead of restarting when it comes back it just says charge complete. Charger seems fine otherwise and it only started doing this after the car was serviced

Hi Andrewpmg5, I'm having the exact same issue since my car was serviced recently. I've done the firmware updates on Zappi and my hub and I've also just tried setting the end charge to 90. Will have to wait till tomorrow and hope there is enough excess sun to see if it works but I'd be interested to hear if this (or anything else) solved your problem?

Hi Andrewpmg5, I'm having the exact same issue since my car was serviced recently. I've done the firmware updates on Zappi and my hub and I've also just tried setting the end charge to 90. Will have to wait till tomorrow and hope there is enough excess sun to see if it works but I'd be interested to hear if this (or anything else) solved your problem?
Contacted myenergi and they suggested replacing the zappi to eliminate a hardware fault. Was going to do so but it seems to have started working again. I'm going to keep an eye on it. How are you getting on?

Contacted myenergi and they suggested replacing the zappi to eliminate a hardware fault. Was going to do so but it seems to have started working again. I'm going to keep an eye on it. How are you getting on?
Was short lived, seems to be acting up again. Saw it happen in real time today; power got to s, surplus, it went to start, charge delayed then said charge complete (it's actually about 70%). I'll do as advised and let them change the hardware but the timing right after the service is suspicious.

Ya, I suspect its something to do with the car alright. I found another forum where they explained that cars that start/stop charging too frequently think there is a problem with the charger and to protect the car, it sends a "complete" signal to the charger so that it will stop sending any more power. This would be especially true on days this time of year where there is more intermittent clouds coming and going (so more start/stop on the eco + mode). They suggested changing the start/stop time frame to 240 seconds. This is a setting on the Zappi itself (can't do it through the app). Essentially what that then does is it tells the Zappi to continue charging at the minimum 1.4kw for up to 240 seconds after the surplus has gone below 1.4kw. On a decent day, there is a better chance that the sun will have come back out from behind a passing cloud by then and as far as the car is concerned, the charge was never interrupted so it never thinks there is any problem... That's the theory anyway. I set mine to 120seconds and I've had some good success with it. The charge complete did happen today but we had a really weird day today with lots of sun but lots of large clouds so there was many interruptions. The theory sounds about right and from what I can see in the logs, it goes to charge complete after about 7 interruptions. Hope that helps. I might have to increase mine to 240 instead of 120 as we move into September and will have more spotty weather. My theory though is that the latest software update introduced a battery safety check "feature" which is causing this issue for us

This is a photo. Its a setting in charge settings--> eco+ settings. The start delay seems to tell zappi: after how many seconds of surplus should it start charging car and then the stop delay says how long it should continue charging after there is no longer surplus.
In theory, increasing both would reduce the problem even more as its less likely to start then with random, smart breaks in clouds but I'm playing around to see if I can get a good balance so it will charges as quickly as there is enough surplus
16619765114691002758049770053611.jpg

I am I right in thinking that these settings can only be done on the Zappi and not the app?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom