MG5 or MG4?

Acolyte36

Standard Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are looking to buy an EV (our first car), and have been looking at the MG5. We liked it quite well, but now the new MG4 is getting released and the range seems to be better.

We both like the look/feel of the MG5 (we havn't tried the MG4 though), but my girlfriend is worried about the battery capacity in the long run, which makes the MG4 more enticing.

If anyone has any tips as to what we should consider when choosing to go for one or the other, that would be highly appreciated!

Edit:
Thanks for all the replies! They really helped us come closer to a decision. We ended up booking the MG4, despite leaning towards the MG5 at first. In the end it boiled down to the MG4 seeming more "future-proof", combined with the confirmation from a few of the comments here, mentioning that they feel an improvement in the driving experience, as well as multiple replies showing that the main difference seems to be the boot size (which we factored in, but found that it, for us, didn't outweigh the additional range and slightly lower price) :)... Now we just have to wait for what seems forever.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at which ever suits you for size, appointments and so on.

There are only 30 miles difference in the two, but I like the carrying capacity of my 5, plus I've only had it 3 months and I'm not one for chopping and changing...

I'd be looking at which ever suits you for size, appointments and so on.

There are only 30 miles difference in the two, but I like the carrying capacity of my 5, plus I've only had it 3 months and I'm not one for chopping and changing...
The MG 5 is what I’m getting due to boot size and I dont like hatch backs as I can’t get the line up to reverse in on my drive way (I drive an Artic for work🤣🤣)

I looked into the MG5 and MG4 and tried the MG5 and it drove well but the MG4 has swayed me. I currently have an estate but even with the forthcoming MG5 facelift I think the MG4 has a better interior and more modern styling. I also realised that I don’t fully utilise the estate as much as I thought I would and have ordered a Red MG4 Trophy or (Grey) if I can get that sooner.

Having driven an MG4 today it made the MG5 feel dated by comparison. The interior space is similar despite the extra foot of length of the MG5 bonnet, with the MG5 having a slightly bigger boot at the expense of rear seat comfort. Until the MG5 facelift comes out it has no App, and I find it hard to justify the higher list price.

The MG 5 is what I’m getting due to boot size and I dont like hatch backs as I can’t get the line up to reverse in on my drive way (I drive an Artic for work🤣🤣)
My last car was a Polo, no parking aids whatsoever, and could park it perfectly.

My daughter pisses herself laughing at my attempts to get the 5 parked squarely in a space...

There must be something about the geometry of the view when in the car. Previously I could park with some accuracy but this MG5 has had me go back to it a few times as I would be too embarrassed to leave the 1st attempt.

I think one of the reviews I watched discussing the plus points said it all...

"and it is not an SUV"

There must be something about the geometry of the view when in the car. Previously I could park with some accuracy but this MG5 has had me go back to it a few times as I would be too embarrassed to leave the 1st attempt.

I think one of the reviews I watched discussing the plus points said it all...

"and it is not an SUV"
My wife has an original Ford Puma and despite being practically half the size of anything I've driven in the last 20 years I resolutely cannot park it straight in a space. I think it's cos the door windows slope towards the front of the car...

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy an EV (our first car), and have been looking at the MG5. We liked it quite well, but now the new MG4 is getting released and the range seems to be better.

We both like the look/feel of the MG5 (we havn't tried the MG4 though), but my girlfriend is worried about the battery capacity in the long run, which makes the MG4 more enticing.

If anyone has any tips as to what we should consider when choosing to go for one or the other, that would be highly appreciated!
My gut reaction is that as a first car the MG4 is probably your best option, unless you need that extra space and ease of loading (as well as the lack of a loading lip on the boot rhe rear door apertures are bigger on the 5) the advantage of a little less range anxiety and the more modern design would swing it for me.
Simon.

My last car was a Polo, no parking aids whatsoever, and could park it perfectly.

My daughter pisses herself laughing at my attempts to get the 5 parked squarely in a space...
Unfortunately that's only too common a comment for the MG5, i just feel proud if i get it to fit in between the lines

I was the same with a bmw as well as my mg5, i must look like a numpty to others.
Any vag car goes in like a dream.

The two things I would consider carefully is the practicality of the two cars and which suits you best. I have a dog and so I like the MG5 boot for example. The other thing is reliability, the MG5 has been out some time and most of the bugs are out of it. The MG4 is a brand new platform and I'm sure there will be problems with it. They will be sorted out with time it's just a case of do you want that hassle.

Same for me! My theory is that the optics of the door mirrors distort the view. The camera is only useful for missing the rubbish bin as the steering guides are too coarse for parallel alignment.

Same for me! My theory is that the optics of the door mirrors distort the view. The camera is only useful for missing the rubbish bin as the steering guides are too coarse for parallel alignment.
The camera is not a patch on the one that was on my CeeD sports wagon

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom