MG5 pre FL Battery Heating

revpeterw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone tried battery preheating on pre-FL MG5 LR? I am about to go on a long journey next weekend, and I wondered if it would make my charge stops quicker, especially after all the media about dying Teslas in the USA, who couldn't charge in the extreme weather.
I see there is an option under the battery settings.

Yes, turning it on manually about 30min before rapid charging (CCS) should improve performance, see also below

I’m pretty sure the HV battery layout hasn’t changed on facelift models, i.e both versions have a battery heating circuit? Therefore is there actually such an option on pre FL model or does it just not work?

It has an option to heat the battery, it’s a manual operation not automatic.
The BMS automatically activates the battery heater when charging in cold weather. Turning it on manually ahead of rapid charging just gives you a head start, certainly the case on FL models, (not 100% about MK1)

On a long distance journey the batteries will be pretty warm anyway, I've never bothered with pre-heating.

The PFL doesn't do battery pre-heating.

Mine does, or perhaps more accurately, in theory it can do.

There's an option "somewhere" in the menu to manually activate it but I've seen it almost instantly turn off again, unless the ambient temperature is very low, in which case it seems to stay "on", though for how long I have no idea!

There's an option "somewhere" in the menu to manually activate it but I've seen it almost instantly turn off again, unless the ambient temperature is very low, in which case it seems to stay "on", though for how long I have no idea!
Same here . No idea at what temperature it activates , if at all

This must be specific to the LR then as it definitely isn't there on the SR.

According to our German friends the following applies (FL, LR)
  • it only activates below 5° C ambient temperature
  • it stops when the battery temperature is around 32° C.
  • runs max 30 min (depending on how cold the battery is initially)
  • 3kW heater
  • car needs to be READY (if plugged in, BMS controls heater)

Hello. my expérience is :
it only activates when the cell battery temperature is under 9,5°C.
it stops when the battery liquid cooling temperature is around 32° C.
if it stop heating the battery liquid cooling and the battery cell are over 10°C =
The battery heater will not turn back on for as long as the battery cell temperature will not go down by 9.5°C.
The R17 and EVCC update increases the temperature threshold by 9.5°C.

On my pre-FL LR I'm not sure it makes a difference. With the temperature at 4C and the car on my drive in 'Ready' mode, switching the battery heating on made no observable difference to the current draw of c.2A
On a recent road trip in consistent 4C weather I tried with battery heating on prior to charging then off prior to the next charge, both after over an hour of driving, so as far as I could manage, near identical conditions. The rate of charge from 150kW chargers was hardly different on both occasions - I was getting 45-47kW.
So although the display shows battery heating as 'On', I can't see any difference.

On my pre-FL LR I'm not sure it makes a difference.
So although the display shows battery heating as 'On', I can't see any difference.
Thanks for the update, looks like the performance greatly varies with the FW revision of the relevant controllers (hint in post #15 by Bzz42) but in essence doesn’t seem to be useful on pre-FL models.

Has anyone tried battery preheating on pre-FL MG5 LR? I am about to go on a long journey next weekend, and I wondered if it would make my charge stops quicker, especially after all the media about dying Teslas in the USA, who couldn't charge in the extreme weather.
It's never worked for me.

I stand corrected.
On the PFL, the manual mentions its existence and even identifies the relevant fuse feeding it but that's it. It's configuration and operation is not mentioned and I can find nothing to suggest any interaction with the driver :unsure:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom