MG5 pre FL Battery Heating

I stand corrected.
On the PFL, the manual mentions its existence and even identifies the relevant fuse feeding it but that's it. It's configuration and operation is not mentioned and I can find nothing to suggest any interaction with the driver :unsure:
There is a setting in the infotainment " battery heating on /off " . Switch it on and it almost immediately returns to off . As you say there's no mention of it in the manual or what the trigger temperatures are ...bad show MG

I stand corrected.
On the PFL, the manual mentions its existence and even identifies the relevant fuse feeding it but that's it. It's configuration and operation is not mentioned and I can find nothing to suggest any interaction with the driver :unsure:
I have noticed when cold enough and when the battery heater is switched on the amp draw does increase so I would assume it is heating the battery, however I don't know if it heats up the battery enough to make any appreciable difference to the battery charging speed because I predominantly charge after a long drive so the battery in theory should be warm.

I predominantly charge after a long drive so the battery in theory should be warm.
Each battery chemistry has an optimal rapid charge temperature. I gather for NMC it’s somewhere in the high 20s, therefore if your cells are already thereabouts after a long drive, turning on battery heating doesn’t make a difference.

I can imagine though, that you will see an improvement in charging speeds when temperatures are well below freezing. Ideally one should have a cell temperature display for guidance..

Each battery chemistry has an optimal rapid charge temperature. I gather for NMC it’s somewhere in the high 20s, therefore if your cells are already thereabouts after a long drive, turning on battery heating doesn’t make a difference.

I can imagine though, that you will see an improvement in charging speeds when temperatures are well below freezing. Ideally one should have a cell temperature display for guidance..
Yes that would be handy. Tesla's seem to have battery heating sorted.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom