MG5 quirks!

EVsince2016

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Getting used to the car now but a couple of quirks have started.

Yesterday the auto headlights didn't work, I had to turn them on manually, then on/off a few times before the auto headlights worked!

Funny one. I had driven 5 miles and suddenly my drivers door opened!!!! I was alerted by bleeps on the dash & a draft! No I didn't accidently open it.

Any other quirks coming out?

Getting used to the car now but a couple of quirks have started.

Yesterday the auto headlights didn't work, I had to turn them on manually, then on/off a few times before the auto headlights worked!

Funny one. I had driven 5 miles and suddenly my drivers door opened!!!! I was alerted by bleeps on the dash & a draft! No I didn't accidently open it.

Any other quirks coming out?
I've never experienced either of those. Only thing i had was squeaky wheels when reversing which stopped once i changed tyres strangely.

MG5 LR here, the rear brakes were making bit of a noise when reversing, and also had a HV battery shutdown twice. That's all during our first 5000 miles.

My mirrors have started to squeak, but I'll hit them with silicone spray tomorrow. Beyond that 400 miles in and loving life.

My mirrors have started to squeak, but I'll hit them with silicone spray tomorrow. Beyond that 400 miles in and loving life.
Ditto went back to dealer though and made them do it lub on some moving parts like the mirrors and door handles seems to be a bit of a theme

I've never yet had my headlights auto switch on.
They do come on if I start the car in the dark but during the transition from light to dark, I always feel the need to switch them on manually before they do anything for themselves.

I've never yet had my headlights auto switch on.
They do come on if I start the car in the dark but during the transition from light to dark, I always feel the need to switch them on manually before they do anything for themselves.
Yep me too they are very slow to come on in auto. But the Day time running lamps are really bright

I find from dark to light they go off too early and I manually click them back on.

Would be fine if DRLs operated the back lights like the new Canadian law.

Hi all
I’ve had
Squeaky mirrors
Sticky rear door handles
One headlight higher than the other
A sloppy charging port door
All sorted at the dealership
But over the last month I have squeaky droning brakes
It just does it when reversing or going forward after the car has stood for a while and only for about 5 to 10 meters
Had it back to dealership but to no avail
But going to book it back in as I now have videos of the noises it makes
Personally I think it may benefit from a set of new pads
I have been driving around in kers 1 for a week or so thinking it may bed the pads in using the brakes more but the noise is still there☹️

Funny one. I had driven 5 miles and suddenly my drivers door opened!!!!
Check that the driver's door handle isn't sticking when you get in. Mine sometimes doesn't shut, and sticks open. I make sure now that it is always firmly closed each time I open the door. It will be attended to at the next service.

Ian, if it only does it after standing it will be rust on the discs (I guess it's probably been raining?) so a short application of the brakes (a few rotations) will clear the rust and stop the noise.

We had lots of trouble with a new van in work with the same complaints, but not other vans of the same model. Worked out it was the only one with alloys and they were letting more water in than the steel wheel (with wheel cover) variants. We fitted coated discs and the problem went away, but it wasn't really doing any harm.

I have the same issue with brakes reversing out of my drive every morning. I have had this in every car I have owned at this house. We quite strong winds and driving rain so I assume it is some sort of dirt or rusting on the disc which the pads are clearing for the first few metres. Now done 3700 miles.
I have had my headlights on auto since collecting the car and find they come on and go off to suit my needs. I don’t do very much driving at night mind you.

Check that the driver's door handle isn't sticking when you get in. Mine sometimes doesn't shut, and sticks open. I make sure now that it is always firmly closed each time I open the door. It will be attended to at the next service.
Yes I have the sticky handle issue so always push it in as I close the door.

Maybe I forgot or didn't fully close it?

Hi
Sido and Ozzie1989
I know what you are saying about flash rust but honestly if you could hear the noise
It happens wether it is dry or wet I check the discs before I get it when it’s been raining there is a bit of rust but it is negligible the car is in daily use so not stud for days even though it’s only done 2,000 miles in 4 months
The noise well if you have ever head a bus revering then applying the brakes the low droning noice that makes it’s like that but it actually vibrates the disc covers or some days it sounds like the brakes on a bicycle when they are wet a squeaky rubber on metal noise or a high pitched squeak
It’s no the same noise every time and every now and then it’s quiet😃
The noise makes it sound like it’s a fifty year old banger☹️

Hi
Sido and Ozzie1989
I know what you are saying about flash rust but honestly if you could hear the noise
It happens wether it is dry or wet I check the discs before I get it when it’s been raining there is a bit of rust but it is negligible the car is in daily use so not stud for days even though it’s only done 2,000 miles in 4 months
The noise well if you have ever head a bus revering then applying the brakes the low droning noice that makes it’s like that but it actually vibrates the disc covers or some days it sounds like the brakes on a bicycle when they are wet a squeaky rubber on metal noise or a high pitched squeak
I hope you get this sorted with the dealer soon. other than what I have described it’s definitely not happening on mine.

My brakes squeal a bit when I reverse off my drive but I've not noticed it elsewhere. That seems a common problem and doesn't worry me unduly, but yours sounds different.

Hi
Sido and Ozzie1989
Hi Ian
I am a forgetful old man these days but your description of the bus reversing and braking reminded me of this. I bought a new AMG B class Mercedes some years ago and the car was fantastic except for the brakes. They made the noise like you are describing and the vibration. After a couple of trips to the dealer they provided me with a loan car and said they wanted to spend more time trying to find out what the problem was. When I picked the car up two days later the brakes were perfect. I enquired what the problem was and they told me the discs,callipers and pads installed when new were for a lower grade model and they had been authorised to change the whole lot.
I hope nothing like that has happened to your car but it taught me never to trust that every is ok just because it’s new.

Mine stopped squeaking when I got new tyres. Whether its because they removed the wheels and put them back on better, or the fact its new tyres... but mine always without fail squeaked when first reversing and now they never ever do. Work that out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom