MG5 quirks!

I have just collected mine from a 15.5k service today.
They took the drivers door handle off and filed it down.
Rattle in drivers door, they took off the inner panel and refitted something seems to be firmer now.
They know there is an issue with the sound when reversing but MG haven't got a fix.
I asked them to swap the tyres from front to back to extend the front life then I will get all four replaced at some point.
Bill was £95.04 inc VAT but that was on a service plan.
Oh and they did a lovely job of washing it and it was pretty dirty.

Dare I say we need to consider the bigger picture when considering the quirks. 5000 miles in and an occasional sticky handle is my only quirk.
I was chatting to the owner of an Audi Q4. £45k plus car. He asked me what the range was on my MG5. He was impressed with 250 miles on the MG and looking to sell his Q4 as the range wasn't working for him (spec 208 miles, reality 150).
It was only afterwards I realised that if we were playing Top Trumps, I could have also pointed out that 9 seconds 0 to 62 is poor and top speed of 99 is slow.
Screenshot_20220311-062741_Auto Trader.jpg

Dare I say we need to consider the bigger picture when considering the quirks. 5000 miles in and an occasional sticky handle is my only quirk.
I was chatting to the owner of an Audi Q4. £45k plus car. He asked me what the range was on my MG5. He was impressed with 250 miles on the MG and looking to sell his Q4 as the range wasn't working for him (spec 208 miles, reality 150).
It was only afterwards I realised that if we were playing Top Trumps, I could have also pointed out that 9 seconds 0 to 62 is poor and top speed of 99 is slow.View attachment 7375
Ye ive heard very bad things about this Audi considering the price lso

First car I have had that lowers the radio volume when reversing, found that a bit strange at first.

I have found the speed at which the lane departure warning comes on is variable. It seems to be anywhere between 32 and 42mph.

I think everyone will find that with no engine noise all these little noise quirks will be more noticeable than in an ICE car. This can happen to brakes overnight with even slightly damp weather, look at them next time before moving and you'll see a thin film of rust over them. It should clear very quickly when driving.

Yea I thought it was so you could hear the reversing sensors it's done it from day one but if others aren't doing it I might ask when I go for a service in a few months
Yes it does lower the volume when reversing.
If you are concentrating on where you are going instead of listening to the radio you probably won't notice it. :LOL:

If you are concentrating on where you are going instead of listening to the radio you probably won't notice it. :LOL:
Oh well I guess don't park behind me then ha ha

First car I have had that lowers the radio volume when reversing, found that a bit strange at first.
My last two ICE cars (a Subaru and a Skoda) both shut off the stereo when reverse gear was selected. CDs were paused and then resumed from the same point once the gear lever was moved out of reverse.

Hi
Sido and Ozzie1989
I know what you are saying about flash rust but honestly if you could hear the noise
It happens wether it is dry or wet I check the discs before I get it when it’s been raining there is a bit of rust but it is negligible the car is in daily use so not stud for days even though it’s only done 2,000 miles in 4 months
The noise well if you have ever head a bus revering then applying the brakes the low droning noice that makes it’s like that but it actually vibrates the disc covers or some days it sounds like the brakes on a bicycle when they are wet a squeaky rubber on metal noise or a high pitched squeak
It’s no the same noise every time and every now and then it’s quiet😃
The noise makes it sound like it’s a fifty year old banger☹️
Could be warped discs. 🤔

think it also depends on how loud you normally have the radio. If the volume is already relatively low you won't notice the difference.

Here are the little quirks I have found after 5 months and 6k miles; -
1) Auto parking brake brake should switch off after each journey - sometimes it does sometimes not
2) Once lane departure is set on menu you can turn it off by pushing blue button on end of indicator stalk. But the first time I turn it off I have to press button twice. Should reset after each journey - sometimes it does sometimes not.
3) If you turn speed warning system off on the touch screen after a few days it turns itself back on and you get the flashing national speed limit sign when you go on duel carriage way or motorway as it recognises national speed limit as 60mph
4) Intermittent wipers either keep wiping a dry screen or they never come on. They sometimes work as they should but only about 30% of the time.
5) Automatic headlamps are a bit erratic and sometimes stick on full beam - appologies to all those drivers I have inadvertently blinded.
4) Cruise control speed that is set is not shown in the digital speed display.
5) Sat nav is a nightmare.

Some of these are just car characteristics some I think are programming faults. If anyone has any cures or thinks the dealership should correct them please let me know. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Found today that the 3rd unlabelled button (next to kers and mode) prompts an animation showing a large 'miles remaining' display on the dash. From earlier posts on this forum I understood this button to do nothing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom