MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Go Thule for bars and feet - mainly for their wide range of attachments and touring equipment available
I got mine secondhand on gumtree, real bargains to be had.

Do the bits that attach to the roof rails need some sort of approval or have any regulation? It seems that if the manufacturer roof rails need to meet a certain regulation testing and approval (rightly so) so should the attachments? Buying a cheap set of roof bars without regulation to fit to your rails seems to negate the whole process? Any particular standard that I need to look for to ensure they have proper approval?
On my old Passat I used a pair of Brio roof bars, which are occasionally available at £25-£30 from Lidl (90% certain I think but it might have been Aldi. I've been asleep since then).

Very pleased with them AND I got excellent support when I lost a tube end cap - I got in touch with Brio directly, explained and they popped a complete set in the post.

A bit like THESE but half the price.

The only criticism is that the front bar especially can whistle as the slipstream from the front windscreen hits it. Easily sorted by pushing a length of rubber tube into the channel underneath the bar.

I'm not admitting anyone that I hung on to the bars and used them a few times on the 5. Oh no sir.

Last edited:
Roof box where I got mine from don't sell them for the 5.

1618159157280.png

Don't see why its not possible to get clamp on rails for the Excite model?

View attachment 2800
Because for this style of rack the foot that rests on the roof needs to conform to the roof shape of the car, the angle and length of the dram clamps need to conform to the length and angle of the lift from door to roof.... and since since MG don't give a load rating for the roof anyway, then I'd guess using this style on the Excite would be as 'illegal' as using the roof rails on the exclusive..... unless a bar manufacturer goes to the extent of developing a suitable foot pack + putting the bars through the necessary industry testing I'd suggest that Excite owners are in the same boat as the Exclusive owners.

View attachment 2799
The clamp style for the THULE and YAKIMA 'for raised roof rails' should (I know the YAKIMA does) suit the roof rail shaping of the Exclusive...... If in doubt search for a bar that suits a 2007 VW Passat Estate (with raised roof rails) ;).

Yeah, same as raised rails on any VW will fit.

I got 118cm bars with feet pack for raised roof rails that fit the Tiguan or Passat.

View attachment 2799
Alun26 your dead right they don’t sell bars for any MG5 model and as shown in your picture in red it is not possible to fit products to the roof of this vehicle.!

So there have been several people on this thread that have suggested rails or roof bars from other makes and models VW for example, which may appear to be useable, but can I assure all of you if any of these where able to be used any company like the one in the picture above
(Roofbox) would be only to happy to supply you with them items, but do they NO they tell you in red letters they can’t do that.
So to all you people who keep coming up with these other vehicles products that might be usable I say please don’t try it because you can bet your bottom dollar if you do and it goes wrong you could well be in very deep trouble both with the law and your insurance providers.
Les

Last edited:
Alun26 your dead right they don’t sell bars for any MG5 model and as shown in you picture in red it is not possible to fit products to the roof of this vehicle.!

So there have been several people on this thread that have suggested rails or roof bars from other makes and models VW for example, which may appear to be useable, but can I assure all of you if any of these where able to be used any company like the one in the picture above
(Roofbox) would be only to happy to supply you with them items, but do they NO they tell you in red letters they can’t do that.
So to all you people who keep coming up with these other vehicles products that might be usable I say please don’t try it because you can bet your bottom dollar if you do and it goes wrong you could well be in very deep trouble both with the law and your insurance providers.
Les
Hi Les,
i’ve raised the question on other threads about regulation for the parts that actually fit to the roof rails. I’m looking to get some bars and bike racks myself. Can you shed any light on this? With my limited knowledge it seems that the cross bars and fittings are widely available and many just go for the cheapest option. To have approval and regulation for the manufacturer rails seems only right and proper, but it seems that then fitting cheap unregulated/approved fittings negates from the whole process. What is the minimum standard that these fittings should have and should it always be shown in the literature? Do these fittings also need to be manufacturer approved? In the unfortunate event of a failure I can see all sorts of blame and counter blame going on between the manufacturer and the supplier of the fixings. Do you agree or have I missed something here?

Hi Les,
i’ve raised the question on other threads about regulation for the parts that actually fit to the roof rails. I’m looking to get some bars and bike racks myself. Can you shed any light on this? With my limited knowledge it seems that the cross bars and fittings are widely available and many just go for the cheapest option. To have approval and regulation for the manufacturer rails seems only right and proper, but it seems that then fitting cheap unregulated/approved fittings negates from the whole process. What is the minimum standard that these fittings should have and should it always be shown in the literature? Do these fittings also need to be manufacturer approved? In the unfortunate event of a failure I can see all sorts of blame and counter blame going on between the manufacturer and the supplier of the fixings. Do you agree or have I missed something here?
The relevant standard is ISO 11154 and applies to the bars and fitting components as well as devices like cycle carriers which attach to them. The test includes the roof of the vehicle as a component part of the system so is why none of the retailers will suggest a device for the MG5, they may well fit, but they can’t pass the relevant test until the roof rails do. No doubt roofbox and all the other sites as well as the manufacturers know which systems would work, but they won’t recommend one until the rails have been dealt with.

Thanks. So I assume any product for sale should display this ISO standard and confirm that it complies? It seems most are just interested in displaying weight carrying capacity.

Thanks. So I assume any product for sale should display this ISO standard and confirm that it complies? It seems most are just interested in displaying weight carrying capacity.
I know that it is displayed on all the stuff I have bought - usually on box and instructions.

Hi Les,
Hi Cocijo the best answer I can give you is this MG motors have not as yet given any reason why you cannot carry anything on the roof rails of the MG5 with any type or make of bars even the ones they showed in their first brochures can’t be used even they where withdrawn what they have stated is the roof rails are decorative only end off.
Now I have no idea about what the requirements or ratings are for this type of equipment and I have on occasion over the years had several estate cars and put cross bars on roof rails to pick up stuff from a stores or building yards because it been to big or to long to go inside the vehicle and no they have not been vehicle manufacturer supplied cross bars they where from halfords or that type of store the ones I bought last where from Aldi fitted my Skoda Superb and Octavia with out a problem rated for 75kg but by who I don’t know.

You may recall 15th January last MG issue a memo that the rails could have up to 35kg on the rails but then 2/3 hours later withdraw that memo saying again the rails can not be used decorative only

I agree with what you are saying but it is plain to see with the amount of equipment available you can get lots of system to carry almost anything on a car these days do they have to be approved by the vehicle manufacturer or not I don’t know it’s a very grey area is this it’s a bit like towing equipment but the insurance companies require that equipment is to a certain type or approval and safety standards one thing I do know it is very annoying and MG don’t appear to be in any hurry to sort it out to help themselves or the owners of there vehicles
I’ve had my 5 two weeks today enjoying it so far it’s got some niggles what car hasn’t , plus bits missing that my last car the Superb had , but it should not have possible safety issue hanging other it and it has.

The updated one is on its way they have released pictures and videos about it but when 1/2/3 years from now I know not and they have said this update one can have 75kg on the roof but I remember when I first read about this currant one it said you could carry 50kg on the roof we will see I for one do not trust MG in anything anymore sorry I’m going off subject but the chance of a rant sometimes does you good for now weather lovely today so in the garden I go
Les

Hi Cocijo the best answer I can give you is this MG motors have not as yet given any reason why you cannot carry anything on the roof rails of the MG5 with any type or make of bars even the ones they showed in their first brochures can’t be used even they where withdrawn what they have stated is the roof rails are decorative only end off.
Now I have no idea about what the requirements or ratings are for this type of equipment and I have on occasion over the years had several estate cars and put cross bars on roof rails to pick up stuff from a stores or building yards because it been to big or to long to go inside the vehicle and no they have not been vehicle manufacturer supplied cross bars they where from halfords or that type of store the ones I bought last where from Aldi fitted my Skoda Superb and Octavia with out a problem rated for 75kg but by who I don’t know.

You may recall 15th January last MG issue a memo that the rails could have up to 35kg on the rails but then 2/3 hours later withdraw that memo saying again the rails can not be used decorative only

I agree with what you are saying but it is plain to see with the amount of equipment available you can get lots of system to carry almost anything on a car these days do they have to be approved by the vehicle manufacturer or not I don’t know it’s a very grey area is this it’s a bit like towing equipment but the insurance companies require that equipment is to a certain type or approval and safety standards one thing I do know it is very annoying and MG don’t appear to be in any hurry to sort it out to help themselves or the owners of there vehicles
I’ve had my 5 two weeks today enjoying it so far it’s got some niggles what car hasn’t , plus bits missing that my last car the Superb had , but it should not have possible safety issue hanging other it and it has.

The updated one is on its way they have released pictures and videos about it but when 1/2/3 years from now I know not and they have said this update one can have 75kg on the roof but I remember when I first read about this currant one it said you could carry 50kg on the roof we will see I for one do not trust MG in anything anymore sorry I’m going off subject but the chance of a rant sometimes does you good for now weather lovely today so in the garden I go
Les
Thanks for the reply Les

I know that it is displayed on all the stuff I have bought - usually on box and instructions.
Just had a quick look and it seems a lot of manufacturers are going with this as the standard: https://www.tuvsud.com/en-gb/servic...ion/ps-cert/certification-mark-for-roof-racks
Which seems to meet and indeed go beyond the basic standards (I believe the base standard only requires them to stay on at 1g which should be good for pretty harsh braking). There is certainly a lack of consistency but the ISO is definitely the minimum to aim for, at the other end Thule have their own test centre which like TUV tests way beyond the minimum standard. I certainly wouldn’t go near anything that didn’t state it met at least the ISO standard and ideally much higher. Of course as Les would point out, it won’t be possible to actually approve any for the MG5 until they decide what the rails hold. Personally I’m hoping my old ones fit although I can’t imagine I will be using all three bike carriers at the same time - I’d settle for one at this stage.

Just had a quick look and it seems a lot of manufacturers are going with this as the standard: https://www.tuvsud.com/en-gb/servic...ion/ps-cert/certification-mark-for-roof-racks
Which seems to meet and indeed go beyond the basic standards (I believe the base standard only requires them to stay on at 1g which should be good for pretty harsh braking). There is certainly a lack of consistency but the ISO is definitely the minimum to aim for, at the other end Thule have their own test centre which like TUV tests way beyond the minimum standard. I certainly wouldn’t go near anything that didn’t state it met at least the ISO standard and ideally much higher. Of course as Les would point out, it won’t be possible to actually approve any for the MG5 until they decide what the rails hold. Personally I’m hoping my old ones fit although I can’t imagine I will be using all three bike carriers at the same time - I’d settle for one at this stage.
Thank you great work

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom