MG5 Roof rails decorative only

35kg (77lb or about 3/4 cwt, or about the max weight of an airline check-in suitcase ) is quite a lot to lift, especially more than a foot off the ground, let alone up to roof level.

It's a generalisation about the likely weight of an ebike but, from THIS SITE

"An average electric bicycle weighs around 45-50 pounds (18-22 kg). A typical traditional non-electric bike may weigh around 30-35 pounds (12-13 kg)."

Remember to add the weight of carrier, roof bars and lashings.

Yep... the bike is 23kg :-( so unless I can get a really strong roof bike rack that doesn't weigh more than say 5kg I'll have to think of an alternative.... but what is that if the boot is full of stuff also? I got a universal boot rack for my old car but I don't trust it.

I took my Ford aero bars off when I p/x it for the MG5 and the feet fit perfectly. Will only use two bike mounts rather than the three I used before.

All my bikes are less than 10kg so should be OK.

My wee roof box with space for one bike

Attachments

• CD939FF1-B7D5-4319-BCA6-589CC2CB7E14.jpeg
    CD939FF1-B7D5-4319-BCA6-589CC2CB7E14.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 193
Sorry John you've probably answered this but now it's been approved for 35kg what roof bars fit our MG5? Thanks
I've tried the rails I had for my old Passat. These are Brio roof bars, which are occasionally available at £25-£30 from Lidl (90% certain, but it might have been Aldi. I've been asleep since then).

Similar to THESE but half the price

Very pleased with them. They fit the 5 perfectly AND I got excellent support a couple of years back when I lost a tube end cap - I got in touch with Brio directly, explained and they popped a complete set in the post.

The only criticism is that the front bar especially can whistle as the slipstream from the front windscreen hits it. Easily sorted by pushing a length of rubber tube into the channel underneath the bar.

I'm not admitting anyone that I hung on to the bars and used them a few times on the 5. Oh no sir.

I've tried the rails I had for my old Passat. These are Brio roof bars, which are occasionally available at £25-£30 from Lidl (90% certain, but it might have been Aldi. I've been asleep since then).

Very pleased with them. They fit the 5 perfectly AND I got excellent support a couple of years back when I lost a tube end cap - I got in touch with Brio directly, explained and they popped a complete set in the post.

The only criticism is that the front bar especially can whistle as the slipstream from the front windscreen hits it. Easily sorted by pushing a length of rubber tube into the channel underneath the bar.

I'm not admitting anyone that I hung on to the bars and used them a few times on the 5. Oh no sir.
Well it has now been approved for 35kg so your ok. We'll now you are anyway

And thanks ill take a look. I don't mind a bit of noise as i won't be using them that much really

Hi Fluffykins and Adam and all 5 exclusive owners for that matter there seems to be a lot of chat about cross rails please read again the posts #324 #329 #336 especially the last #336 it is almost there and hopefully the letters will be too
Les

Hi Fluffykins and Adam and all 5 exclusive owners for that matter there seems to be a lot of chat about cross rails please read again the posts #324 #329 #336 especially the last #336 it is almost there and hopefully the letters will be too
Les
Thanks Les.
Yes, waiting with anticippppppppation.
Fluff

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom