MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Thanks all for your posts - I looked for a link to the podcast mentioned but couldn't find it. If someone could post a link that would be much appreciated. I made an Exclusive order in November and the car has apparently just arrived for collection, though having found out at the weekend (thanks to this forum) about the roof rail problem I'm not sure I'm going to proceed. The dealer is trying to find other options for roof mounting but I'm not happy about a brand new family car not having this option. As for the airbrushed photos...

I'm in a similar boat though I expect my dealer possibly doesn't know about it - he tried to sell me roof bars and cycle carriers when I signed on the dotted line early last week.

I use it purely for carrying bicycles and the alternative would be to fork out for an expensive, lockable and totally secure rear carrier (assuming one exists that will fit) when I've got perfectly usable and secure roof carriers already. Plus that means you can't access the rear when the carrier is mounted so the dog would have to go on the rear seats. Not so bad on the way to the woods but definitely a problem when he's wet and filthy after our MTB, especially this time of the year.

All a bit of a mess.

Being new potential owners we at least are interested and aware of the roof rail danger.
Who is responsible in say 3 years down the line when 'Bob the builder' buys one cheap for town work, it has a big boot, roof rails to carry a ladder and some timber plus no congestion charges when working in the city.
Also nippy enough to zip round the M25 fully loaded.

Do any other cars have these falsie roof rails fitted?

Thanks all for your posts - I looked for a link to the podcast mentioned but couldn't find it. If someone could post a link that would be much appreciated. I made an Exclusive order in November and the car has apparently just arrived for collection, though having found out at the weekend (thanks to this forum) about the roof rail problem I'm not sure I'm going to proceed. The dealer is trying to find other options for roof mounting but I'm not happy about a brand new family car not having this option. As for the airbrushed photos...
Try the ZS EV it’s a really good car and lots of tech for the money..

Try the ZS EV it’s a really good car and lots of tech for the money..
Thanks Mark. Estate configuration, price and extra mileage were some of our main considerations which made the MG5 a good choice. Can't believe this roof rail fiasco has happened without any contigency plan from the manufacturer.

Being new potential owners we at least are interested and aware of the roof rail danger.
Who is responsible in say 3 years down the line when 'Bob the builder' buys one cheap for town work, it has a big boot, roof rails to carry a ladder and some timber plus no congestion charges when working in the city.
Also nippy enough to zip round the M25 fully loaded.

Do any other cars have these falsie roof rails fitted?
Looking at this from a H&S perspective, I can't see how they can possibly allow them to be sold without either fixing the issue or removing the rails. I'm not keen on going for the ZS either as I've had estates for a while and the additional range makes it more usable IMHO.

Well that's it, I've shot myself in the foot and cancelled the order.

I did wonder if an after market rack could be added to the excite specification model but the manual has no information.

Bloody annoyed really, I liked the car but I was buying it as a practical workhorse not a thing of beauty adorned with trinkets.

As I stated earlier the rails would be used rarely by me, but if for instance I bought a 4x4 off-road vehicle i would not expect to be told 'you cannot drive it on grass sir'.

Also if the updated model evidently due in the spring does have a roof load facility I would imagine the resale price of these will bomb.

I should get the deposit back but I have forked out for a charge point and will be hit for a further £350.00 as I will not have an electric car in the time period.

Well that's it, I've shot myself in the foot and cancelled the order.

I did wonder if an after market rack could be added to the excite specification model but the manual has no information.

Bloody annoyed really, I liked the car but I was buying it as a practical workhorse not a thing of beauty adorned with trinkets.

As I stated earlier the rails would be used rarely by me, but if for instance I bought a 4x4 off-road vehicle i would not expect to be told 'you cannot drive it on grass sir'.

Also if the updated model evidently due in the spring does have a roof load facility I would imagine the resale price of these will bomb.

I should get the deposit back but I have forked out for a charge point and will be hit for a further £350.00 as I will not have an electric car in the time period.
Thanks John

I'm still undecided but interesting you talk about a new model - have you heard anything specific? My dealer is playing "good dealer bad manufacturer" but at the end of the day I am the customer! I was taking advantage of the scrappage scheme too which gives another £4000 off plus my trade-in value. SO frustrating over what is (in manufacturing terms anyway) such a small thing...

I don’t want to get drawn it a debate about this, but all I would say to all is that whilst the roof bars are handy (if functional) the fact that the car is exceptional good value for money compared to the rest of the market for me personally would not make this a deal breaker especially if I stood to loose more like government grants etc. I can’t see anything on the market that will touch this on value for money, but that’s just my personal thoughts; I’d be cheeky and keep the order but haggle for some added benifit’s, 3 years free servicing, free type 2 charge cable or anything else that come to mind and use it to my advantage.

Last edited:
Simonom: The only update news I saw was on this forum, someone suggested May 21 when lane assist is added plus some tweaks.
Mark: Agreed and as stated earlier i have shot myself in the foot - but an estate car that cannot take any form of roof rack seems strange to me yet alone one with roof rails that cannot accept any loading. Sod's law would dictate that I would need to put a load on the roof a week after I got the car.

I don’t want to get drawn it a debate about this, but all I would say to all is that whilst the roof bars are handy (if functional) the fact that the car is exceptional good value for money compared to the rest of the market for me personally would not make this a deal breaker especially if I stood to loose more like government grants etc. I can’t see anything on the market that will touch this on value for money, but that’s just my personal thoughts; I’d be cheeky and keep the order but haggle for some added benifit’s, 3 years free servicing, free type 2 charge cable or anything else that come to mind and use it to my advantage.
Thanks Mark, a very good point.

Simonom: The only update news I saw was on this forum, someone suggested May 21 when lane assist is added plus some tweaks.
Mark: Agreed and as stated earlier i have shot myself in the foot - but an estate car that cannot take any form of roof rack seems strange to me yet alone one with roof rails that cannot accept any loading. Sod's law would dictate that I would need to put a load on the roof a week after I got the car.
Thanks John. I'm not fussed about any of the auto-driving tech tbh, Having been driving for cough a number of years now without any tech apart from cruise control, I'd rather look at the road around me and in my mirrors to see what's there! I don't like the idea of letting a car make decisions on f. ex distance behind the car in front etc, as it can't see what's happening to the cars in front of that one which affects decisions on road speed, choice of lane etc.

Hi everyone I can not believe what is going on at MG with this roof rail issue on the MG5 SW EV, my car is at the dealers and they have rang me to say that, but I have declined to take delivery until something is sorted out sick as a parrot I am. come on MG get this sorted or lose a lot of orders I can assure you well it as been said on this forum about the issues that could arise from this finding, but I wonder how many cars have already been put on the road without the owners knowing about this, come on MG get it sorted please now while the is only a few gone out before someone gets injured or killed god forbid on our roads.

As I have said in a previous message I have tried several times to contact MG head office without a reply from them
The pictures on the web page have been changed also the 50kg loading in the weights section has been removed but that for me is not enough this needs a fix or removal of the roof bars to prevent a motorway pile up if something did come adrift I urge you MG dealers out there bombard you head office or lose a lot of orders when this fiasco gets into the press or onto TV as I’m sure it will it is not for the owners to not load the roof it is for MG to make it safe to do so or remove them

Last edited:
I suppose it would be interesting to find out from MG exactly why they aren’t considered suitable for load baring; and is there anything that can be done to make them functional as there are products like this on the market from Halfords, will MG let you take the car to Halfords for alternative suggestions and advice on work around solutions??

Halfords Non-Railing Roof Bar Kit 070

Fitting kit for fitting non-railing roof bars to vehicle
Quick & easy to fit
Vehicle specific
4 fitting kits supplied - enough to fit a pair of bars
To be used in conjunction with steel roof bars & foot pack for cars with normal roofs (Both sold separately)
If you need a hand with fitting, head on down to your local Halfords store
2 year guarantee

I suppose it would be interesting to find out from MG exactly why they aren’t considered suitable for load baring; and is there anything that can be done to make them functional as there are products like this on the market from Halfords, will MG let you take the car to Halfords for alternative suggestions and advice on work around solutions??

Halfords Non-Railing Roof Bar Kit 070

Fitting kit for fitting non-railing roof bars to vehicle
Quick & easy to fit
Vehicle specific
4 fitting kits supplied - enough to fit a pair of bars
To be used in conjunction with steel roof bars & foot pack for cars with normal roofs (Both sold separately)
If you need a hand with fitting, head on down to your local Halfords store
2 year guarantee
Interesting. Here's another one, though predominantly designed for surfboards, kayaks etc I would think

Sorry about my last post spelling mistakes and poor grammar but I am so very annoyed and upset by MG motors but even more so as I love the idea of an EV estate and this is the first

Last edited:
Hi everyone can not believe what is going on at MG with this roof rail issue on the MG5 SW EV my car at the dealers and they have rang me to say that but I have declined to take delivery until something is sort out sick as a parrot come on MG this sorted or lose a lot of orders I can assure you of that it as been said on this forum about the issues that could arise from this finding but I wonder how many cars have already been put on the road without the owners knowing about this come on MG get it sorted please now while the is only a few gone out before someone gets injured or killed god forbid on our roads

As I have said in a previous message I have tried several times to contact MG head office without a reply from them
The pictures on the web page have been changed also the 50kg loading in the weights section has been removed but that for me is not enough this needs a fix or removal of the roof bars to prevent a motorway pile up if something did come adrift I urge and you MG dealers out there bombard you head office or lose a lot of orders when this fiasco gets into the press or onto TV as I’m sure it will it is not for the owners to not load the roof it is for MG to make it safe to do so or remove them
Your final point is the key; you can be sure someone, somewhere, sometime will use the roof rails with potentially drastic consequences.

I guess they can be removed but that probably requires stripping off the interior roof trim and then you'll also end up with numerous holes in the roof which will need closing/sealing somehow.

I'm not going to cancel my order yet; when the day comes for delivery, I'll make up my mind. Hopefully MG UK will have come with a solution by then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom