MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Yes perfectly suitable that would do the job with clips to attach items too, not ideal but would certainly work, if it was needed for cycles I’m sure you can get one that attaches to the rear tailgate

Look at the heading thread roof bars not fit for purpose there are some solutions noted as a possible work around...

My VW Golf handbook has a substantial section on fitting roof tails/rack etc including where the fixing points are.
The MG5 reference is one short paragraph - in summary don't use the rails.
There is no other information that I can find.
Initially I thought the reason not to use the rails was to do with limiting range but the downloaded manual states use of the rails is dangerous.
I cannot see that using a third party system will change anything or that Halfords will cover the cost if you are involved in an accident because you won't be insured.
Some clarity is needed from MG as they clearly haven't briefed their dealers.

My VW Golf handbook has a substantial section on fitting roof tails/rack etc including where the fixing points are.
The MG5 reference is one short paragraph - in summary don't use the rails.
There is no other information that I can find.
Initially I thought the reason not to use the rails was to do with limiting range but the downloaded manual states use of the rails is dangerous.
I cannot see that using a third party system will change anything or that Halfords will cover the cost if you are involved in an accident because you won't be insured.
Some clarity is needed from MG as they clearly haven't briefed their dealers.
Well said John but as I keep saying someone will and somebody is going to get hurt it needs sorting for the safety of all

No problems Les....

..(BTW, you can go back into your posts at any time and edit it...i've found it very useful.
Thank you Chris I am very new to this forum thing in fact the first I have ever sign onto so have corrected a few mistakes as i didn’t know you could do that but now I do thank again

The MG 5 Exclusive has roof rails, was advertised with roof bars, bike carrier and bike on top (now crudely airbrushed out), and until very recently MG were selling roof bars/bike carriers on the MG5 accessories page. However, the recently published manual says the roof bars are decorative only. So I asked for clarification. In response, I was sent this:

Dear Dealer Colleagues,
Following the initial launch of MG5 EV we have now received updated type approval documentation which confirms the roof rails on Exclusive versions are for decorative purposes only. Previously issued specification files stated a roof rail load capacity of 50kg, with early marketing material showing the use of roof bars and roof mounted accessories. Please ensure your customers are aware that it is not possible to mount accessories to the roof rails of MG5 EV.”
Hi GMitch what you have said in the start of your post is true about the pictures and I am very pleased that you got a response from MG, I have tried a few times after I had read the PDF handbook on line when I ordered my car on 3/11 but got nowhere. Today on the phone my dealer read the same words out to me as you have written in the second part of your post, as you will find on my other post they have also altered the specs on the web page under the weights section 50kg on the roof bars has now gone but there is still pictures on other web sites if you google MG5 ev there is road tests with pictures of the car with cross rails and I think bike carriers fitted on the car a silver one auto express I think so that tells me they have not read page 62 of the handbook as well along with others.

This for me now is a safety issue and there are cars out there that need to be recalled before somebody gets hurt I know some people might be getting tired of me saying that but it will happen if something is not done quick I see estate cars regularly on the M6 with bikes, ladders roof boxes and even canoes amongst other things on the roof sometimes way over loaded in my opinion I have asked on this forum for the dealers to bombard MGs head office and I hope no one takes delivery of this car until MG do something, I don’t see what rewriting the brochure and telling dealers to inform customers about this issue is going to do I would think a simple modification and a very quick recall of all cars now on the road in my opinion is the only way forward I hope we on this forum can all agreed Les

Last edited:
Do you really think MG are going to do more than they have? Given they made this change before they’d even delivered any cars I’m not sure much more is going to happen.

The point is that they are supplying vehicles with roof bars which are unsafe to use.

The initial owners will presumably be told this and potentially comply but what about those owners subsequently?

The only solutions are to make them usable or remove them.

Anything else ultimately ends up coming back to them when it goes t1ts up. Essentially they have to withdraw the Exclusive model until it is resolved.

Perhaps the forum could engage with Miles at MG Chorley who has joined the last two pod casts could have a better route to feed this safety concern directly back to MG for those that have ordered or are considering to order the MG5.

Just would remark that ZS AV manual (2020) states the maximum is 75 Kilo grams for the roof luggage rack. So there seems to be different in-build state's, ZS AV and MG 5

Perhaps the forum could engage with Miles at MG Chorley who has joined the last two pod casts could have a better route to feed this safety concern directly back to MG for those that have ordered or are considering to order the MG5.
Seen today 2020 12 23 on the Chorley Group website 😲

Chorley are still advertising the MG5 with roof rails as an additional storage bullet point as seen in the extract form their web pages, very odd as we know this has been on this forum for the last two weeks and discussed in the Podcast with Miles from Chorley, or is this just another dealer tit bit to get you in the door? And still showing the car with a roof rack with a bike, unbelievable.

You would think the MG dealers would at least amend their webpages!

Get more out of your MG5.

Now, what specification you choose is entirely up to you (even though they're both pretty great). But as you compare the two specifications, you'll see that there are differences which will suit your needs in more way than one. Some of the features you will find across the models are;

• Apple CarPlay & Android Auto to connect your favourite devices (Both Models)
  • LED Daytime Running Lights for added visibility (Both Models)
  • Roof Rails for additional storage (not that you need it) (Exclusive model)
  • 16" 'Meteor' Alloy Wheels (Both Models)
  • Rear Parking Sensors for audible aids when parking (Both Models)
  • Fabric Upholstery (Excite Model)
  • Leather Style Upholstery for the ultimate comfortable driving experience (Exclusive Model)
  • Auto Air Conditioning for those occasional hot days we have (Exclusive Model)
  • Smart Keyless Entry with Push Button Start (Exclusive Model)
  • Leather Steering Wheel - a feast for your touch (Both Models)
  • Rear Parking Camera for visual aids when parking in tight spots (Both Models)
  • iGo In-Car Navigation for simplicity when getting from A to B (Exclusive Model)
  • Rain Sensing Wipers which come on automatically when the heavens open (Exclusive Model)
That is just a taste of what the MG5 can do you for. Everything that the MG5 stands for has been designed just for you

Last edited:

Chorley are still advertising the MG5 with roof rails as an additional storage bullet point as seen in the extract form their web pages, very odd as we know this has been on this forum for the last two weeks and discussed in the Podcast with Miles from Chorley, or is this just another dealer tit bit to get you in the door? And still showing the car with a roof rack with a bike, unbelievable.

You would think the dealer would at least amend their webpage!

Now, what specification you choose is entirely up to you (even though they're both pretty great). But as you compare the two specifications, you'll see that there are differences which will suit your needs in more way than one. Some of the features you will find across the models are;

• Leather Style Upholstery for the ultimate comfortable driving experience (Exclusive Model)
  • iGo In-Car Navigation for simplicity when getting from A to B (Exclusive Model)
  • Rain Sensing Wipers which come on automatically when the heavens open (Exclusive Model)
That is just a taste of what the MG5 can do you for. Everything that the MG5 stands for has been designed just for you
Apologies, I'll get this changed today. We do have a fairly expansive website (9 franchises, 800+ used vehicles), so it must have been missed.

Apologies, I'll get this changed today. We do have a fairly expansive website (9 franchises, 800+ used vehicles), so it must have

That's great Miles. Sorry I weren't getting at Chorley specifically and meant to say "dealers" and not dealer (now amended) to highlight that most MG dealers were advertising the presumed benefits of the rails.

It really comes down to MG for their lackadaisical attitude to the consumer and their support to the dealerships. It would have been very easy and quick to issue new advertising to the dealerships to avoid any disappointments to their prospective customers. I have seen a another dealership that have a different advert from the "normal" stock MG one. I assume that its bespoke advert and approved by MG within dealership agreements to sell their vehicles.

The point is that they are supplying vehicles with roof bars which are unsafe to use.

The initial owners will presumably be told this and potentially comply but what about those owners subsequently?

The only solutions are to make them usable or remove them.

Anything else ultimately ends up coming back to them when it goes t1ts up. Essentially they have to withdraw the Exclusive model until it is resolved.
Yes I totally agree and have posted the same points I have told my dealer also and refused to take my car from him until we get a response from MG they are putting lives at risk on or roads this is the main point and about that there is no question I have also urge everyone on this forum not to buy the car until it’s sorted and MG dealers to push for it to be sorted out

You would think the MG dealers would at least amend their webpages!

Your dead right Richie and yesterday I went in to a dealership and they are still giving the brochures out on the MG5 with the pictures showing a bike on the roof I could not believe it

Do you really think MG are going to do more than they have? Given they made this change before they’d even delivered any cars I’m not sure much more is going to happen.
They dam well should before someone gets hurt on our roads I’m sure you must agree with that

I have found a useful feature for the roof rails When cleaning the panoramic roof its idea to hang on to whist stretching across for washing with one step up on to the back seat. The back seat is covered with a protection sheet for my golf bag.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom