MG5 Roof rails decorative only

Having travelled 210 miles to and from for our holiday, with the car boot and the roof box fully loaded, and 2 adults and 2 children onboard, we got 3.8 miles/kWh.

Having travelled 210 miles to and from for our holiday, with the car boot and the roof box fully loaded, and 2 adults and 2 children onboard, we got 3.8 miles/kWh.
I think 3.8 is pretty impressive! I have a similar holiday coming up, opted for a huge roof box from Aldi that weighs 12kg as we need to pack it with bulky light items so should still be within 35kg.

Boot however will have a 55kg tent in it, amongst all the other camping stuff. Plus two adults. And two children.

And a PortaPotti :)

Like that where did you get the transversal bars from, because I would like to put some with a box when we go on holiday this summer. Thanks
The bars Padung talks about look identical to the Lidl ones (made by Brio) which have already been mentioned several times in this thread. Mine cost under thirty quid and were 1200 mm long. They were perfect for our Passat and equally as good on the MG5.

As for the whistling (or even wistleing 😁) we had the same issue on the Passat. The cure was simple: there's a slot underneath the bar which the slipstream off the windscreen blows across, causing the noise, mainly the bar at the front. I just cut a length of rubber pipe - hosepipe would probably do too - and stuffed that into the slot Simples and it worked.

Purchased from Amazon.

'Hardcastle Aluminium Lockable Anti Theft Aero Dynamic Car Roof Bars - 3 Sizes'

I'm sure we got the 120cm wide bars (annoyingly the order info doesn't say which size we ordered!), but there are instructions on how to measure for the correct size is shown in the items escription. Just loooked and only the 130cm bars seem to be in stock at this moment in time.

We heard a faint wistleing when travelling between 40-50mph, but with any music playing (even quietly) you couldn't hear it at all. No wistleing that we could hear at other speeds.
Thank you, I bought the aldi ones, waiting for the delivery now, I am looking for a roof box, any tips?

Thank you, I bought the aldi ones, waiting for the delivery now, I am looking for a roof box, any tips?
I went for the bigger Aldi roof box at 390L HERE. I'm mindful it weighs 12kg which doesn't leave much weight for contents, but I'm only getting it for our camping mattresses and bedding which are HUGE but weigh very little. I was also attracted to this one since its quite aerodynamic compared to other 'value' boxes out there that are pretty bulky.

We went for this small Halfords box. Halfords 250L Grey Roof Box | Halfords UK

Weight of the box is 9kg. We filled it with light but bulky stuff like bedding, coats and a baby carrier rucksac thingy.
Thank you, I saw one 240l in aldi website but sold out, and I've already ready seen some other people in the forum who bought it, will think about it, once again thanks

Today, I have spoken with head office at MG UK who can confirm the following :-
The MG5 SW EV excite has roof bars which are for decorative purposes only.
The MG5 SW EV exclusive has roof bars can be used up to a maximum capacity of 75KG which includes the weight of the carriers themselves. (As listed on page 68 of the manual.)
I hope this clears up any confusion.

The MG5 SW EV exclusive has roof bars can be used up to a maximum capacity of 75KG which includes the weight of the carriers themselves. (As listed on page 68 of the manual.)

No, if anything this causes more confusion, as the MG5 SW EV Excite (Standard/Long Range) don't have any roof rails fitted at all. :unsure:

The MG5 SW EV Exclusive Standard Range (51kWh) has longitudinal roof rails rated to 35kg.
The MG5 SW EV Exclusive Long Range (62kWh) has longitudinal roof rails rated to 75kg.

The weight limit includes the weight of any roof bars which you need to fit across the rails to mount other accessories such as a roof box, cycle carriers, etc. as well as the weight of these accessories and their contents/bikes.

A bit worrying that MG themselves don't understand their own vehicles!

No, if anything this causes more confusion, as the MG5 SW EV Excite (Standard/Long Range) don't have any roof rails fitted at all. :unsure:

The MG5 SW EV Exclusive Standard Range (51kWh) has longitudinal roof rails rated to 35kg.
The MG5 SW EV Exclusive Long Range (62kWh) has longitudinal roof rails rated to 75kg.

The weight limit includes the weight of any roof bars which you need to fit across the rails to mount other accessories such as a roof box, cycle carriers, etc. as well as the weight of these accessories and their contents/bikes.
Well done for the speedy correction of the information.

I'm still convinced there's no physical difference at all between the SR and LR roof bars, other than a potential homologation issue with the SR. I'd be very interested if anyone knows any more on the subject.

I go camping with a large roof box on my SR and it's probably around 50 to 60kg when full. I know I shouldn't, and it would affect my insurance in a potential accident, but must admit it feels absolutely rock solid when mounted correctly.

All very confusing. I received a handbook amendment when the roof rails were approved. I do hope other owners have the same. Perhaps newer versions have have it already printed in their handbooks.
I’ll bet anything you like that most vehicle owners with roof rails will exceed the load limit at some time. Let common sense prevail.
The initial ‘decorative only’ was because they hadn’t been tested and approved. At least MG have done the right thing. Now it’s down to the owners to follow suit.

I'm still convinced there's no physical difference at all between the SR and LR roof bars, other than a potential homologation issue with the SR. I'd be very interested if anyone knows any more on the subject.

I go camping with a large roof box on my SR and it's probably around 50 to 60kg when full. I know I shouldn't, and it would affect my insurance in a potential accident, but must admit it feels absolutely rock solid when mounted correctly.
I'm inclined to agree with you. If I push down and put a lot of my weight on them they dont fall apart, and I weigh 68kg. And MG must have installed the bars to the manufacturer's instructions or the manufacturer wouldn't warrant the bars. The fixing kits supplied would be for the full rail rating (75kg), and who makes roof rails at 35kg anyway? I just don't think the Chinese tested them for loading until the issue was raised by MG UK and then they brought out the long range version, fully rated, with identical roof rails. I also think that MG UK did their own road tests on the SR and put a low limit on them just to get Les and the media off their backs until the corrected LR came out.
Rant over.

I'm inclined to agree with you. If I push down and put a lot of my weight on them they dont fall apart, and I weigh 68kg. And MG must have installed the bars to the manufacturer's instructions or the manufacturer wouldn't warrant the bars. The fixing kits supplied would be for the full rail rating (75kg), and who makes roof rails at 35kg anyway? I just don't think the Chinese tested them for loading until the issue was raised by MG UK and then they brought out the long range version, fully rated, with identical roof rails. I also think that MG UK did their own road tests on the SR and put a low limit on them just to get Les and the media off their backs until the corrected LR came out.
Rant over.
I agree completely!

I'll let you know if anything falls off this during camping this year... :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom