MG5 Roof rails decorative only

The MG 5 Exclusive has roof rails, was advertised with roof bars, bike carrier and bike on top (now crudely airbrushed out), and until very recently MG were selling roof bars/bike carriers on the MG5 accessories page. However, the recently published manual says the roof bars are decorative only. So I asked for clarification. In response, I was sent this:

Dear Dealer Colleagues,
Following the initial launch of MG5 EV we have now received updated type approval documentation which confirms the roof rails on Exclusive versions are for decorative purposes only. Previously issued specification files stated a roof rail load capacity of 50kg, with early marketing material showing the use of roof bars and roof mounted accessories. Please ensure your customers are aware that it is not possible to mount accessories to the roof rails of MG5 EV.”
I received this yesterday from MG.
Roof rails are now DVSA approved to carry a max load of 35kg. Equivalent on a carefully loaded box or a couple of bikes I guess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 156
Strong words there Miss Burrows! Now now! 😂
Think they got the message as they have today sent this reply and my response to it is below
Les

Dear Mr Leslie Burrows,

Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

We sincerely apologise that the addendum page was missing from the letter, which will be arranged and sent to you as soon as we can.

Your feedback is much appreciated, we will forward it to the relevant team for reference and get it rectified accordingly.

At MG, we are always aiming to give more and provide the best service possible. We are sorry for the disappointment this time.

Kind regards,
MG Call Centre Team

And in reply I sent them this below

Thank you for your response can you please do the same for all owners of the MG5 exclusive as I feel this important
Thank you again
Les Burrows

Les

Sent from my iPhone

Westar House
139-151 Marylebone Road
London
NW1 5QE
www.mg.co.uk
Become an MG fan: facebook.com/MGMotorUK
JFollow MG: twitter.com/mgmotor

PXL_20210626_153833814.jpg
Gone and done it! Fitted the 250L Halfords box today. No point getting a bigger box imo as weight will be the limit rather than space. This small box (at 9kg) weighed the least too (apart from the fabric options, which were about 2kg lighter still). Total weight of the bars and box comes to 12.8Kg.We took our car into the dealer for them to check the Android Auto connectivity a couple of weeks ago and they updated the car's handbook at the same time. We recived the letter from MG earlier this week like others and it also didn't have the addendum page enclosed.

We have a holiday booked to the Isle Of Wight next week, which is a 115 mile journey for us from Oxfordshire. Will be interesting to see how the m/kWh is affected by 4 people (2 adults, 2 under 5s), a full boot and a roof box!

View attachment 3781Gone and done it! Fitted the 250L Halfords box today. No point getting a bigger box imo as weight will be the limit rather than space. This small box (at 9kg) weighed the least too (apart from the fabric options, which were about 2kg lighter still). Total weight of the bars and box comes to 12.8Kg.We took our car into the dealer for them to check the Android Auto connectivity a couple of weeks ago and they updated the car's handbook at the same time. We recived the letter from MG earlier this week like others and it also didn't have the addendum page enclosed.

We have a holiday booked to the Isle Of Wight next week, which is a 115 mile journey for us from Oxfordshire. Will be interesting to see how the m/kWh is affected by 4 people (2 adults, 2 under 5s), a full boot and a roof box!
I'm enjoying every house in the background with solar panels, very jealous

Gone and done it! Fitted the 250L Halfords box today. No point getting a bigger box imo as weight will be the limit rather than space. This small box (at 9kg) weighed the least too (apart from the fabric options, which were about 2kg lighter still). Total weight of the bars and box comes to 12.8Kg.We took our car into the dealer for them to check the Android Auto connectivity a couple of weeks ago and they updated the car's handbook at the same time. We recived the letter from MG earlier this week like others and it also didn't have the addendum page enclosed.

I'll be doing the same at the end of July, so I'm very interested in your experience with it.

Can I ask what town that is? Is that in the UK?
It's a on-going new development in Bicester (the first houses were completed about 4.5 yrs old).

The development is called Elmsbrook.

The marketing page: Elmsbrook New Homes Development in N.W. Bicester | FABRICA

Overall we are very happy with living here and the community is great. Like any new development it has its unknowns like how the traffic will change as the population grows, plans for future houses change etc. Some teething problems with the new technology in the homes, etc.

We now have our letter from MG (two days before our holiday). Still not happy as our roof rails and roof box together weigh 23kg so technically we are only allowed to put a massive 12kg (that should cover the beer then) into it. For this holiday we are only using the roof box for decorative purposes....:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 3781Gone and done it! Fitted the 250L Halfords box today. No point getting a bigger box imo as weight will be the limit rather than space. This small box (at 9kg) weighed the least too (apart from the fabric options, which were about 2kg lighter still). Total weight of the bars and box comes to 12.8Kg.We took our car into the dealer for them to check the Android Auto connectivity a couple of weeks ago and they updated the car's handbook at the same time. We recived the letter from MG earlier this week like others and it also didn't have the addendum page enclosed.

Like that where did you get the transversal bars from, because I would like to put some with a box when we go on holiday this summer. Thanks

Hey hey. Guess what? Yup. Letter but no addendum. Spoke to a delightful young lady on the number in the letter, who has promised to organise one (not holding my breath).
I also phoned them and the probably same young lady said 'You aren't the first customer to mention this.'

Hi everyone sorry for the late posting been away for a few days but got this reply to my letter to the DVSA #461
Ref: VSD 33237

Dear Mr Burrows

With regards to your recent emails. The MG recall has been launched and published on the gov.ukwebsite. MG now have an obligation to update DVSA on progress every 3 months until completion. Other than that, DVSA do not approach manufacturers for progress updates.

With regards to administration errors, I would suggest you write to the manufacturer with your concerns.

Regards

Simon Lewis | Vehicle Defect Investigation & Market Surveillance Engineer
Core Member of DVSA embRACE Staff Network Group - Working with DVSA to ‘Create a Great Place to Work’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Orgreave Way, Sheffield, S13 9LT

So as you know I did complain directly to MG #500 and you have seen their reply #503 therefore i have had no further mail from them since but If your still not happy then contact MG direct or your supplying dealer and get them to sort it for you
Les

Hi again just found this from MG motors in my long list of emails it’s in response to #503 again came yesterday once again sorry for the delay in posting I have been away for a few days myself but it does appear things are happening and MG have got the message at last. Les

Dear Mr. Burrows,
Thank you for your email.

Yes, we will be working on this and send the addendum to the relevant MG5 owners.
Many thanks again for contacting us and have a lovely day!

Kind Regards,
Jody

Last edited:
We now have our letter from MG (two days before our holiday). Still not happy as our roof rails and roof box together weigh 23kg so technically we are only allowed to put a massive 12kg (that should cover the beer then) into it. For this holiday we are only using the roof box for decorative purposes....:ROFLMAO:
Hi Rachel I’m not sure if you are aware but cans are lighter than bottles and wine can be found in cardboard boxes today so you might just get more onboard LOL ( can’t believe I’ve just wrote that as in my working life I made GLASS beer and wine bottles for some 30 plus years ) have a good holiday
les

Like that where did you get the transversal bars from, because I would like to put some with a box when we go on holiday this summer. Thanks
Purchased from Amazon.

'Hardcastle Aluminium Lockable Anti Theft Aero Dynamic Car Roof Bars - 3 Sizes'

I'm sure we got the 120cm wide bars (annoyingly the order info doesn't say which size we ordered!), but there are instructions on how to measure for the correct size is shown in the items escription. Just loooked and only the 130cm bars seem to be in stock at this moment in time.

We heard a faint wistleing when travelling between 40-50mph, but with any music playing (even quietly) you couldn't hear it at all. No wistleing that we could hear at other speeds.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom