MG5 Steering - a concern or not?

Maybe :unsure:
In line with the other thread about this I have swapped the tyres (front to rear) and so far I have had no reoccurrence, but I have not had any trips out on the motorway network (where I origionaly found it worse) since the swap. The tyres are the original Bridgstones and the fronts were about 75% worn which is more than I expected for the mileage..... but don't tell the Daily Mail!
There are two universal joints on the upper steering column which look.. and as far as I can tell feel fine. I'm too old to get under cars now so there could be another UJ under the floor. PAS motor looks easy enough to get at ...but nothing to see. Currently a tyre issue seems plausible as I would expect a PAS fault to be more predictable.

I'd just like to add my data points to this thread. I've also experienced this at least four times in my pre facelift MG5 over the last year and a half. I only experience it during cold weather, and after driving straight for a long time. I've found that it goes away for a while after turning more sharply, such as at a roundabout.

Thanks hOZ, that is pretty good description of the problem as it occurs on my PF MG5 too. Manipulating the steering definitely makes it go away for a while. I wonder if anyone has had this issue on replacement (non Bridgestone) tyres?

I’ve just changed all the tyres to Hankook all season tyres, (following an awful aquaplaning event). I’m on the motorway later this month, so will let you all know if the steering is still vague.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom