MG5 Trophy Real World Consumption Thread

szymon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Yes yes, we all know that your pre-facelift MG5s are capable of doing nine hundred miles after a thirty minute fast charge, etc. However, for those of us with the new Facelift MG5 Trophy, the numbers appear to be somewhat different! So, please ONLY contribute to this thread if you have an MG5 Trophy.

No specific rules — just show what your vehicle has done over some sustained period of time, and what that period is. This first contribution shows what mine has done from the 23rd of December (when it was loaned to me — still waiting for my real car!) until today. Only 2.5mls/kWh, but this is in relatively cold weather! Worse than many of the older cars that can go to space and back on a single charge, but it’s a fire data point! Please, trophy owners, add yours…

Attachments

• B4283B42-4142-4F35-8D0C-F1732FE486E4.jpeg
    B4283B42-4142-4F35-8D0C-F1732FE486E4.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 154
Hi Szymon.
Most of my trips so far have been short but these are details for two longer trips I have done so far
14/12/2022 - 68 miles - 2.93 mls/kWh
14/12/2022 - 79 miles - 3.32 mls/kWh
This was during the cold-snap with ambient temperatures down to around -5 deg C

I am calculating these using the trip difference in % (start-finish) times battery size (61 kWh).

Hope that is a start. It is something I want to continue monitoring

I got my facelift on the same day 23rd.
I will grab some photos tomorrow but I am getting around 3.2 for the acculturative trip. I have notice 2.1 in slow moving traffic in London trips.

I am currently driving the car like I did my petrol. 70 on motorways, heating on (20c) etc… wanted to see how I did like that before I thought about trying to change my driving habits :)

Picked up my Facelift MG5 Trophy LR on the 16th Dec 22. Will do a screen shot later and post it tomorrow. But, 208 miles seems to be the figure that comes up every morning with a 100% charge. (Not sure why there is a recommendation to only charge the Lion Batteries to 80%) But of course you have to reduce that figure down to 190ish if you don't want to scare yourself shitless when you only have 8% left and are a long way from your nearest 150kW charger at 11.30 at night. So many messages appear telling you that you need to plug in and recharge. I even got the feeling it might drive me to my nearest charge point using the MG Pilot. Onward and upward!

I wouldn't depend on that figure too much, especially until you are used to the car, and I'd be looking for a refill at more like 25% than 8%, especially in unknown areas.

It is only a couple of times a year that I would refill outside of home. 4.5p as against 70p for a super charger. Does anyone know how far you can push the % figure. The quoted 250 miles by MG means nothing if you can't use the bottom 10% of charge.

Of course you can use it, but if you are short on range and pretty much depend on one charger being available then you may find yourself calling the AA if that charger is out of use. Just like an ICE car - you wouldn't go off into the deep countryside when the red fuel light was showing would you.

I rarely charge away from home (can't remember the last time) but I am not extreme in trying to eke out every last mile and it is still a lot cheaper motoring than the ICE was even if I put in a few too many expensive electrons once in a while. it certainly focuses the mind when you know you are running a bit tight on range, it's something I once tried, and learnt from!!

You might find that the quoted 250 mile range might be ambitious at this time of year anyway.

Of course you can use it, but if you are short on range and pretty much depend on one charger being available then you may find yourself calling the AA if that charger is out of use. Just like an ICE car - you wouldn't go off into the deep countryside when the red fuel light was showing would you.
Sorry, stop propagating such rubbish. In an ICE car you’d have a 5L petrol canister with you and if you run out you have a backup right there to get going again in a couple of minutes. You can’t do that in an EV.

This by the way is the reason I want a longer range vehicle. Not because I necessarily want to drive 250 miles non stop, but because after 2-3 hours regular driving I want to have another 100 miles available to make damned certain it doesn’t matter if my first, second and third charging options are screwed.

The MG5 is less range than I would like (especially the trophy it seems) but you can’t argue the price-range equation; had I a choice I would have insisted on 350-400 miles so that I can do a reasonable drive and still be damned certain that even in the winter I have enough to do 150-200 miles and still get a charge…

Which bit is rubbish?
The bit I quoted. The bit where you say:
Just like an ICE car - you wouldn't go off into the deep countryside when the red fuel light was showing would you.
That’s pure unadulterated rubbish — yes you would, because you know you have an easy backup.
From what you say, it seems like the MG didn't really satisfy what you wanted in a car. You did have a choice - you could have stuck with an ICE car.
Nah, the MG was the right compromise for me. Sticking with ICE is not an option. I just get irritated when people hide the downsides with “oh it would have been the same with an ICE anyway”. It wouldn’t. Folks need to go into this with their eyes open…

Calm down, it is not rubbish and even if it were it's not worth getting upset over.

Where am I hiding any downsides? In fact I think most would accept that my suggestion to seek refuelling before 8% is somewhat sensible. I was just trying to help. If you just want a battle with someone there are better forums for it.

Battle? There’s no battle here…I’m agreeing that you should refuel way before 8%, because you can’t do what you would in an ICE car and carry a Jerry can.

Oh good. It felt so much like you were disagreeing, and also going on to knock EV range in general.

Misunderstanding then :)

The bit I quoted. The bit where you say:

That’s pure unadulterated rubbish — yes you would, because you know you have an easy backup.

Nah, the MG was the right compromise for me. Sticking with ICE is not an option. I just get irritated when people hide the downsides with “oh it would have been the same with an ICE anyway”. It wouldn’t. Folks need to go into this with their eyes open…
I have never once in more decades than I care to remember of driving ever carried spare fuel in a can.
But if you really wanted to carry the analogy over then there are portable EV chargers you can carry with you if you really wanted to, such as a Zipcharge.

And yes people do need to go into this with their eyes open, but other than range there really isn't much difference in the real world. It's the nuances of your own car that need to be understood. The fact that you need to re-fuel more often is fairly obvious, but on a journey do you need to stop more often ?

I have never once in more decades than I care to remember of driving ever carried spare fuel in a can.
But if you really wanted to carry the analogy over then there are portable EV chargers you can carry with you if you really wanted to, such as a Zipcharge.

Hahahaha, 50lbs and cost of thousands of pounds when/if they finally release it this year, vs £10 for a reusable 5L canister plus £7.50 for the fuel inside it?

I’ve only been driving since the early 90’s but I’ve always carried a spare fuel can…

Back on topic, how is the real world range of your MG5 Trophy? Got a photo for us?

Hahahaha, 50lbs and cost of thousands of pounds when/if they finally release it this year, vs £10 for a reusable 5L canister plus £7.50 for the fuel inside it?

I’ve only been driving since the early 90’s but I’ve always carried a spare fuel can…

Back on topic, how is the real world range of your MG5 Trophy? Got a photo for us?
Nobody said it was cheap, but it is there.

Do you often use the spare fuel you carry around, or put another way, are you prone to running out of fuel? Have you got a photo for us ?

The range of My 5 is fine thank you, many long trips all over the country, usually with a coffee and comfort break, along with a charge after around 3 hours driving.

Nobody said it was cheap, but it is there.

Do you often use the spare fuel you carry around, or put another way, are you prone to running out of fuel? Have you got a photo for us ?
I’ve had to use fuel cans a few times, yes. Most recently the year before last, in a motorhome in Scotland, when it turned out that two highland fuel stations were completely out of fuel and we needed to pour it in to get to a third (which the locals were kind enough to telephone for us to check that it was open). I’ve also rescued others who have run out. It happens. Actually V2L on my MG5 is one of my favourite things because in extremis I can rescue another EV using the granny charger and my V2L cable…

Yes yes, we all know that your pre-facelift MG5s are capable of doing nine hundred miles after a thirty minute fast charge, etc. However, for those of us with the new Facelift MG5 Trophy, the numbers appear to be somewhat different! So, please ONLY contribute to this thread if you have an MG5 Trophy.

No specific rules — just show what your vehicle has done over some sustained period of time, and what that period is. This first contribution shows what mine has done from the 23rd of December (when it was loaned to me — still waiting for my real car!) until today. Only 2.5mls/kWh, but this is in relatively cold weather! Worse than many of the older cars that can go to space and back on a single charge, but it’s a fire data point! Please, trophy owners, add yours…
You sound a bit miffed, so just for clarification the early SR and LR only do about 830 miles after a 30 minute charge. 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom