MG5 Trophy Real World Consumption Thread

Folks, sorry to have caused such discontent on this forum. Happy New Year to you all. But, my real thoughts are; what is the sensible driving range for the LR. If you only charge it up to 80% as per the recommendation and then only discharge it to, let's say, 10% how many miles are you going to go without charging it up again. We all know that there are not enough fast chargers around to satisfy the current demand. Queuing at a fast charger is now becoming quite common. (I am lucky to have 16 within 25 miles of my house if I get desparate, don't intend doing the 8% again!).

I'll post my range in the next week when I'm back to work and things are back to normal.

As an aside, what would us 5 Trophy owners (and any other EV owner) really want - better real world range or a bigger and better network of more reliable fast chargers? Me, I'd settle for the latter but everyone's different.

Ask yourself why there are not more fast chargers? Petrol companies and fuel stations currently have a monopoly over the supply of fuel for cars. Why would they cut off theirs noses to spite your faces? They want to keep supplying fuel for the forseeable future. Bring on the 600 mile range of a hydrogen cell powered car. Hydrogen is the way forward but is probalby 10 years away. So what we are asking is for an EV that will do 400 miles on a single charge that we can get home with without having to use a fast charger that is in limited supply. As I said previously 4.5p at home 70p on a fast charger doesn't make sense.

Folks, sorry to have caused such discontent on this forum. Happy New Year to you all. But, my real thoughts are; what is the sensible driving range for the LR. If you only charge it up to 80% as per the recommendation and then only discharge it to, let's say, 10% how many miles are you going to go without charging it up again. We all know that there are not enough fast chargers around to satisfy the current demand. Queuing at a fast charger is now becoming quite common. (I am lucky to have 16 within 25 miles of my house if I get desparate, don't intend doing the 8% again!).
If you have a home charger, having rapids near to home are irrelevant. If you don't have a home charger, totally invaluable.

Ask yourself why there are not more fast chargers? Petrol companies and fuel stations currently have a monopoly over the supply of fuel for cars. Why would they cut off theirs noses to spite your faces? They want to keep supplying fuel for the forseeable future. Bring on the 600 mile range of a hydrogen cell powered car. Hydrogen is the way forward but is probalby 10 years away. So what we are asking is for an EV that will do 400 miles on a single charge that we can get home with without having to use a fast charger that is in limited supply. As I said previously 4.5p at home 70p on a fast charger doesn't make sense.
Hydrogen is dead as far as cars are concerned. Why use massive amounts of electricity to create green hydrogen which is then compressed and stored in a car, then to use an electrical process to create yep, electricity to drive the car.
Much simpler to just cut out the middleman and use electricity direct.

Have a look at this if you are interested, it's a bit long but worth it for anybody that thinks Hydrogen is the way forward (it's been the way forward for the last 50 years)

If you have a home charger, having rapids near to home are irrelevant. If you don't have a home charger, totally invaluable.
MG5 trophy Facelift owner.

I am unlucky and cannot have a home charger. There are quite a few lamppost chargers around me so I am using those for day to day charge. Still a couple of free places around too so I graze charge on those when shopping etc.

I have only use the rapid as a test to make sure I got them to work and on one trip I did recently.

With regards to the above about not charging over 80% I think from what I understand the recommend is not to “leave” it on 100% for any length of time. So if you are doing a long trio charge it to 100% before your go.

In the short time I have had mine I am average about 3.2m/kWh mixed motorway and town. The GOM based on my experience so far seems fairly close to reality. As many suggest and like my ice car I use it has a rough guide. But for quick calculations I use 20m / 10% and seems to be close enough. Obviously I hope this go up once the warmer weather returns. :)

MG5 trophy Facelift owner.

I am unlucky and cannot have a home charger. There are quite a few lamppost chargers around me so I am using those for day to day charge. Still a couple of free places around too so I graze charge on those when shopping etc.

I have only use the rapid as a test to make sure I got them to work and on one trip I did recently.

With regards to the above about not charging over 80% I think from what I understand the recommend is not to “leave” it on 100% for any length of time. So if you are doing a long trio charge it to 100% before your go.

In the short time I have had mine I am average about 3.2m/kWh mixed motorway and town. The GOM based on my experience so far seems fairly close to reality. As many suggest and like my ice car I use it has a rough guide. But for quick calculations I use 20m / 10% and seems to be close enough. Obviously I hope this go up once the warmer weather returns. :)
You are spot on with your thoughts re range etc. and grazing is perfect. If you pootle around town for a week or so the GOM won't reflect range on a M'way and vice versa.

45% of public chargers in the South East of the country is bad planning for the up take of ev's personally I live in the worst county for chargers and we're it not for being able to charge at work some days I would not be driving an EV, pod point have shut three fast chargers within 10 miles of me, 10 are waiting to open and have been like that for months. The cost of those open 2 instavolt 9.9 miles away is stupid considering the wholesale cost of gas is back to pre Russian war rates. Needs proper investment in infrastructure and fair pricing (charge place Scotland) a good example of this. If we lose anymore chargers in this area I will be going back to ICE.

I don't think you've caused any discontent at all. If someone's looking for an argument they'll let rip, no matter what. All the best.

The cost of those open 2 instavolt 9.9 miles away is stupid considering the wholesale cost of gas is back to pre Russian war rates.
Elsewhere I read that today's wholesale price has no effect on consumer pricing as the suppliers have hedged - i.e. bought gas way into the future - and it's those prices which our tariffs are tied to.

It does of course mean that eventually the domestic prices will drop.

I don't agree with this:
What it does is give you confidence that if you are getting low AND you are within 25 miles of home, you know that you will be able to find a top up charger to ensure you can get home.

Hydrogen is going to get very green when they install Hydrolisers next to the wind turbines to utilise the excess power generated by the turbines. It will save them having to switch off as they currently do. Don't rule it out yet!

I don't agree with this:

What it does is give you confidence that if you are getting low AND you are within 25 miles of home, you know that you will be able to find a top up charger to ensure you can get home.

Hydrogen is going to get very green when they install Hydrolisers next to the wind turbines to utilise the excess power generated by the turbines. It will save them having to switch off as they currently do. Don't rule it out yet!
I guess distance is relative, in Norfolk maybe 25 miles (10-15% of battery) is close to home, but not around here. :) More rapids within a mile or 2 than you can shake a stick at, so my that is my definition of close to home.

I like numbers :)
My journeys or rather trips, continue to be short ones.
Today I did a round trip of around 40 miles and managed according to the display got 4.0 mls/kWh.

However, me liking numbers, when I punched the figures into a spreadsheet it calculated it as 3.66!
Difference in Start / Finish % = 19 ( therefore 11.59 kWh used ? )
Distance = 42.4
Therefore mls/kWh = 42.4/11.59 = 3.66

Any thoughts? Am I doing it wrong? Or is the 'car' calculating it differently?

Today I did a round trip of around 40 miles and managed according to the display got 4.0 mls/kWh.

However, me liking numbers, when I punched the figures into a spreadsheet it calculated it as 3.66!
Distance = 42.4

I think the battery has 57.7KW usable so using that gets you closer. Doesn’t get you to 4.0m/kWh though!

There is probably some rounding in the %. If you say it could be actually 18.5%, applying that to 57.7kWh = 10.6745kWh used,

42.4 / 10.6745 = 3.97, which is 4.0 rounded to 1 decimal!

Last edited:
I don't agree with this:

Hydrogen will have it's uses in areas such as steel manufacture, and possibly air travel where it is more difficult to convert to electric, but not for cars or home heating, despite the ridiculous trial that is going to take place in Cheshire.
It requires approx. 6 times the electricity to hydrolise water to make green hydrogen to then burn it in home heating than it would need to use a heat pump.

Distance = 42.4

This calculation s something that exercises my little grey cells too. The start and finish % must be a calculation because it's not directly measurable, whereas miles, volts, amps and time are all things that can be directly measured. So, my thought is this: the odometer records mileage, the car "computer" measures amps used and time elapsed, then calcultes miles / (volts * amps * time) to display the most accurate efficiency number in miles/kWh. This assumes that the hv battery operates at a constant voltage for the calculation. If the car's computer is really clever, it will do the calculation of mi/kWh every few seconds and then do an integration calculation. I think it may actually do this, because the display can show instantaneous as well as trip cumulative mi/kWh. And we all thought calculus was a waste of time at school... now we know of at least one real world use!
Alternatively, and just as accurately, you can just charge the car to 100%, run it down to as low as you comfortably dare, then divide miles driven by kWh topped up and you will get a true measure of efficiency that reflects how you have driven since tge last top-up.

This was from 100% to 11% with my average driving charged up fully on a Friday and drove it without charging and it lasted until Wednesday where I had to charge at work so took the below photo to see how many miles I’m getting out of full charge. I drive pretty economically and usually got 3.7 and sometimes 4miles per kWh in my 30kwh leaf I had before. But it’s been -2 to about 5 degrees max lately.
C537D8E7-CB5C-4695-8862-20A02E793548.jpeg

An efficiency of 2.3 applied to a usable battery capacity of 57.4 kWh implies a 100% range of 132 miles. Winter efficiency is poor for any ev and real world data from drivers like yourself can only helps us all to understand just how bad it can be. Keep up the good work! I still like the MG5 though and hope to buy a SE LR this summer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom