MG5 Trophy Real World Consumption Thread

And the last one.

It might get better yet did a run yesterday from Wigan to Stockport and back, probably 30 miles of motorway some of which with 50 mph restrictions and the rest at 65 ish then the rest on A roads mostly flat I didn’t take a picture at the start but I know the car was at around 60% SOC and on my return it shows 4.6 mpkh for the trip, much better still a bit on the chilly side around 7/8 degrees that was the kind of figure I have been hoping for but not getting until this run anyhow so 4.6 mpkh will do nicely thank you.

The only real difference between this drive and the ones I have list above is the load in the car on this run only me in the car and no extra weight.
Les
4D171E47-DFB7-410E-9CE2-4252D7670427.jpeg

I did Epping to Ipswich at the weekend, and back. Started with full charge, showing 212 on the GOM (SR). Travelled a total of 168 miles, returned with 30% and 68 miles remaining. Temperature was 7C at the start, 0C at the end. Sometimes I am tempted to change to the new LR, times like this I am not.

And the last one.

It might get better yet did a run yesterday from Wigan to Stockport and back, probably 30 miles of motorway some of which with 50 mph restrictions and the rest at 65 ish then the rest on A roads mostly flat I didn’t take a picture at the start but I know the car was at around 60% SOC and on my return it shows 4.6 mpkh for the trip, much better still a bit on the chilly side around 7/8 degrees that was the kind of figure I have been hoping for but not getting until this run anyhow so 4.6 mpkh will do nicely thank you.

The only real difference between this drive and the ones I have list above is the load in the car on this run only me in the car and no extra weight.
Les

Thanks Les

I do not own a MG5 but I can share my most recent GOM experience on MK1 ZSEV.
Drive,
Sale to Cambridge (187 miles) 50mph AVG with a stop at Corley Services Southbound for recharge.
AVG mpkwh- 3.9
Start 04.30
Arrive 09.00

Same day drive back
Cambridge to Sale (187 miles) 50 mph AVG
with a stop at boxworth service for 30 mins for dinner followed by Corley services Northbound for recharge
AVG mpkwh-3.4
Start 17.30
Arrive 22.00

Additional electric consumption
No heating but heated seats on most of the way both directions.
Infotainment playing music
Headlamps on onward journey half way
Headlamps on return journey all the way
Occasional showers on return meant wipers came on more often.

Observation,
onwards drive was quieter(less wind noise) whereas return journey had more wind noise. Checked weather map, there is NE - SW wind more prominent in midlands and East of England. So that explains marked drop in average efficiency
Occasional showers on return meant road was little wet at place and is associated with a drop in range due to resistance. Though in my case I am not sure about their contribution.

The point I tried to make in this long post is the fact that GOM in our MG cars are using incomplete information to calculate range.
I would take the GOM range and check the weather map to ascertain if I need an additional charging stop for my leg of the journey.
The three main things to look out for are,
Close to zero or below zero temperature
Headwinds
Wet surfaces( rain)

Use them as range degrade gauge,
Normal range is 164(acc speed 60mph, AVG speed 50mph, occasional burst of speed to overtake can be ignored)

If one from above list is true,
Actual range 120 If all three true the range is more like 80(worst case)

Hope it helps.

Folks, my dealer told me on Friday that he has been talking with MG tech. They have an MG5 which they have run at 100% battery charge always and it has now done 160,000 miles without issue. Why do they recommend 80%?
Maybe just covering their nether regions. though I do believe it is an established fact.

This is where I am after my first few weeks of use.

Obviously when things warm up I hope mileage will improve 🤔👌

Attachments

• 82CC6947-4939-45B2-9F3E-0DB9EF44E73A.jpeg
    82CC6947-4939-45B2-9F3E-0DB9EF44E73A.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 75
This is what I’m finding this also my mk1 5 Sr was far better than this one but with the larger battery I’m thinking the range won’t be that much different my mk1 was said to have a range off 214 miles and now my MK2 Trophy FL is said to have 230 odd but the SE FL is rated at 250miles can only put it down to wheel size and more weight. The figures above are official figures but real world I say about 15-20% less in the real world
Les

This is what I’m finding this also my mk1 5 Sr was far better than this one but with the larger battery I’m thinking the range won’t be that much different my mk1 was said to have a range off 214 miles and now my MK2 Trophy FL is said to have 230 odd but the SE FL is rated at 250miles can only put it down to wheel size and more weight. The figures above are official figures but real world I say about 15-20% less in the real world
Les
Hello Les
Does FL have automatic battery heater?

Hello Les
Does FL have automatic battery heater?
Hi Leo it has one but it’s not automatic you have a switch in the info screen , but I think that’s only useful when you intend to use a rapid charger as far as I know like on a journey really not for AC charging which is mainly what I do.
Les

Last edited:
Hi Leo it has one but it’s not automatic you have a switch in the info screen but I think but that’s only useful when you intend to use a rapid charger as far as I know like on a journey really not for AC charging which is mainly what I do.
Les
I have discovered that when you plug into a rapid charger it does automatically turn on a battery heater if needed. You then see the charge speed increase as it warms.

I only noticed this with the app update that shows the heater status.

The manual turn on in the settings allows you to turn the heater on before you get to the charger. Say roughly 15 mins away so when you arrive it will start charging at top end speed straight away.

Only gotcha is make sure you remember to turn it off or say goodbye to your kWh.

PXL_20230303_182533814.jpg

Latest from Feb, mostly an 18 mile round trip commuting to work on 30-40mph roads with a 120 round trip to Southampton on motorways sitting around 70 (and no more officer), all done set on Eco2 apart from the occasional blip to Sport1 on the motorway. And always with a boot full of football gear because I keep forgetting to empty it :ROFLMAO:

And the last one.

Les
This is the best efficiency which I see so far, my personal best 4,2 (8 C mixed driving for about 20 miles mode Comfort,3 ).
Due to the cold weather and the use of precondition at the moment I have efficiency around 3 msl/kWh I am hopping when the weather starting to warm up will see more figure around 4.5.

Best regards Todor Radnev

Yes yes, we all know that your pre-facelift MG5s are capable of doing nine hundred miles after a thirty minute fast charge, etc. However, for those of us with the new Facelift MG5 Trophy, the numbers appear to be somewhat different! So, please ONLY contribute to this thread if you have an MG5 Trophy.

No specific rules — just show what your vehicle has done over some sustained period of time, and what that period is. This first contribution shows what mine has done from the 23rd of December (when it was loaned to me — still waiting for my real car!) until today. Only 2.5mls/kWh, but this is in relatively cold weather! Worse than many of the older cars that can go to space and back on a single charge, but it’s a fire data point! Please, trophy owners, add yours…
Got my MG5 Trophy LR in December 22.
Done about 1500 miles to date, in temperatures from -3°c up to around 12°c. A mix of motorway, dual A roads, country roads and town traffic. So fairly representative of winter motoring in the southern counties.
The average consumption overall is reading 3.4m/kwh. Though I did see 4.2 on a warm (12°+) sunny country drive one day.
I mostly run eco and kers 3, Though kers 1 seems better on motorway with ACC running. That said I think somebody said this model uses kers for the active cruise control function?

Got my MG5 Trophy LR in December 22.
Done about 1500 miles to date, in temperatures from -3°c up to around 12°c. A mix of motorway, dual A roads, country roads and town traffic. So fairly representative of winter motoring in the southern counties.
The average consumption overall is reading 3.4m/kwh. Though I did see 4.2 on a warm (12°+) sunny country drive one day.
I mostly run eco and kers 3, Though kers 1 seems better on motorway with ACC running. That said I think somebody said this model uses kers for the active cruise control function?
With regard to KERs yes the MG5 Trophy in fact both of the facelifted models uses both KERs and and the brakes at the same time when on ACC this might be a reason why the range figures do not appear as good as the early model did because that SR early model was not fitted with ACC only basic cruise control to hold a speed so when you switch off the CC you got more Regen because it only used Regen to slow the car down and not brakes same will also apply to the Trophy when not using ACC slowing the car down would be done with Regen only until you the driver decides to brake.

KERs 1 is better on motorways in my view I always use ECo KERs 1 on motorways plus you can manage your own KERs setting buy watching ahead easy in the 5.
Les

Had a real fright this morning... Charged to 100%. Estimated mileage 160 miles! This is not good when you consider that MG are pushing 250 mile range in their advertising. Any thoughts?

Have not driven it today. Accumulated figure showing 2.7 miles per kwh. But I know I can't do 160 miles without having to charge.

Good afternoon all,

My personal best today mixed driving 50/50 with note that road works are done on the motorway and the speed is restricted on 50 miles. External temperature 13C.
20230312_134351.jpg

Best regards Todor Radnev

5.6? That's mad. I don't obsess over it but I don't ever remember seeing mine (Mk I) stay over 4 for very long, and I often drive like a novice nun.

Have not driven it today. Accumulated figure showing 2.7 miles per kwh. But I know I can't do 160 miles without having to charge.
57kWh (ish) usable battery averaging 2.7 m/kWh = 154 miles. Allowing for inaccuricies eg it could be 2.74 etc. looks about right.
It's just reflecting what you will get if the weather/temperature stays the same and your journeys/driving style remain the same.
Reset the accumulated trip it will show you 250 miles estimated and make you smile again. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom