MG5 Trophy Real World Consumption Thread

Alan59 - and there I was hoping to keep things simple. I was never good at calculus :)

Just using my method basic - distance / % difference, these are my most recent samples I can share.
09/1/2023 79 mls 3.44 m/kWH (very wet wiper and lights on whole journey)
12/1/2023 82 mls 3.57 m/kWh (mostly dry but head wind)
Overall for the past 605 miles it has worked out at 3.39 m/kWh

To obtain the 240 mile range, it works out we need to get around 4.18 m/kWh. Hope that's right.

642 miles across Jan - Mostly just A & B roads with a couple of Motorway journeys to and from Heathrow thrown in for good measure. Considering the temperatures and the fact I'm still trying to find the most efficient way to drive I think 3.3 isn't too bad
Started to get 5.2 appearing on the Current Journey for a bit as well now.

And is it me, or is chasing that regenerative braking really addictive?? :D

Attachments

• 20230201_124405.jpg
    20230201_124405.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 77
642 miles across Jan - Mostly just A & B roads with a couple of Motorway journeys to and from Heathrow thrown in for good measure. Considering the temperatures and the fact I'm still trying to find the most efficient way to drive I think 3.3 isn't too bad
Started to get 5.2 appearing on the Current Journey for a bit as well now.

And is it me, or is chasing that regenerative braking really addictive?? :D
That's good going. I hope I start to see that soon.

Here we go again. A month running Eco3

IMG_20230201_091417.jpg

Interesting 80% figure of 139 miles. Hope things are going to improve in the Summer. Had to take my wife's Corsa to Southampton Monday as it would have cost over £150 with overnight accommodation and charging using fast chargers. (Corsa cost £30 in fuel and there and back in a day)

I started running eco3 as well, and actually found it more efficient to run Eco2 for a majority of the time and only switch to Eco3 in start-stop traffic and round the estate.

Here we go again. A month running Eco3

View attachment 14930

... Had to take my wife's Corsa to Southampton Monday as it would have cost over £150 with overnight accommodation and charging using fast chargers. (Corsa cost £30 in fuel and there and back in a day)
The anti-EV press are gonna love you, I can just see that in the Sun or Daily Mail... :ROFLMAO:

Not sure why you could do it in a day in a Corsa but not in the 5, easy route, good chargers on the way, perhaps stop off at the Fastned hub at Oxford each way for a short charge.

Not sure why you could do it in a day in a Corsa but not in the 5, easy route, good chargers on the way, perhaps stop off at the Fastned hub at Oxford each way for a short charge.
Simple... Time! It was 4 hrs down to Southampton, 4 hours there and 4 hours home. If I had to add in the time sitting on a fast charger, (if I could find a working one) then we would not have been home before midnight! At 70p / kwH currently fast charging is a rip off. I love the MG5 as a run around car from home but it is just not suited to long journeys. 160 mile range is just not enough in the winter.

I started running eco3 as well, and actually found it more efficient to run Eco2 for a majority of the time and only switch to Eco3 in start-stop traffic and round the estate.
Technically it is more economic to run without KERS at all. On my BMW 3 plug in hybrid there was a program that analysed your driving and that always recommended turning KERS off and coasting as the most eco friendly mode. Makes sense really, why use electric to generate speed and then re-generate electric to brake. There are losses in the re-generation. No idea what the efficiency of the dynamo is but it can't be great. Trouble is that gauging when to take your foot of the pedal to coast to a stop is difficult and annoys the hell out of the people behind you.

Saw a hint of what warmer weather will hopefully bring. First time in the month I have had the car it hit 3.7

#Facelift Trophy

Attachments

• 5BEF1B1F-0623-4CE3-B9C7-BF9ED5FC2C03.jpeg
    5BEF1B1F-0623-4CE3-B9C7-BF9ED5FC2C03.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 79
Simple... Time! It was 4 hrs down to Southampton, 4 hours there and 4 hours home. If I had to add in the time sitting on a fast charger, (if I could find a working one) then we would not have been home before midnight! At 70p / kwH currently fast charging is a rip off. I love the MG5 as a run around car from home but it is just not suited to long journeys. 160 mile range is just not enough in the winter.

Technically it is more economic to run without KERS at all. On my BMW 3 plug in hybrid there was a program that analysed your driving and that always recommended turning KERS off and coasting as the most eco friendly mode. Makes sense really, why use electric to generate speed and then re-generate electric to brake. There are losses in the re-generation. No idea what the efficiency of the dynamo is but it can't be great. Trouble is that gauging when to take your foot of the pedal to coast to a stop is difficult and annoys the hell out of the people behind you.
Well now you've said that I'm just not sure how I've managed all the long trips I've made...oh yes I recall ...easily. I don't know if @jackois is reading but he makes regular trips between Southampton an Leeds summer and winter. My opinion which obviously differs from yours is that I find the MG5 quite suitable for long journeys.

A plug in hybrid and a full BEV are different fish. If you're going to have to slow down, for traffic light etc. then you may as well get a bit of regen in, and on motorways set regen to lowest level.

Had my Mg5 LR since December just looked at my Miles per kWh after doing 682 miles since purchase, I was shocked to see on display 2.7 mile's per KWH. Is this average in the winter.

Many facture to take in to consideration.

I have done just shy of 1k and my average is 3.0 at the moment.

That said I have started to see a jump with warmer weather.

I picked up my Trophy in the 2nd week of Jan and have done 1500 miles and it shows accumulated average 3.2.
I did get one early surprise when I did a 160 mile round trip of 70mph ish in temperatures that were between -2 and -4. I'd only started with 80% battery so I needed a quick burst of charge to get me home.

Well now you've said that I'm just not sure how I've managed all the long trips I've made...oh yes I recall ...easily. I don't know if @jackois is reading but he makes regular trips between Southampton an Leeds summer and winter. My opinion which obviously differs from yours is that I find the MG5 quite suitable for long journeys.

A plug in hybrid and a full BEV are different fish. If you're going to have to slow down, for traffic light etc. then you may as well get a bit of regen in, and on motorways set regen to lowest level.
Hi all.

I am still making the run up and down to Leeds and even in the coldest weather we saw, still managed 3.2Kw/hrs on the run. I still run 2 hours up to the Rugby area, take 40minutes charging and the 2 hours up to Leeds.
I try to arrive with 40% to give some running around power before recharging to 85%. This gets me back to Rugby where I've got to the point where I'll charge to 75% which gets me home with around 25 miles left.
As the charging infrastructure improves... new chargers at Woolley Edge and so on I may experiment with different versions of my charging, but can't argue against Gomev and find the MG5 ideal for the journeys I do. As ever, planning is the key, with various alternates stored on the phone for the unexpected.

My usage for this month has sneaked back up to the 3.5 figure. No hypermiling, etc ever used! I've stopped mucking about with regen rates and vehicle mode as I kept forgetting to switch to eco or whatever.

So just had the car for a few weeks and so far have done two charges;

Charge One: Plugged in with 38 miles on the odometer and did 122 miles at a cost of £4.20 (42kwh @10p kWh).

Charge Two: 160 miles on the clock and did 118 miles at a cost of £4.

Charge Three (tonight): 278 miles on the clock and expect around 40kWh-ish to be added over night.

Thing is, each time the battery has started at around 91% charged but I’m only getting 120 miles max before needing to recharge the car. How is everyone else getting anywhere near 150 miles in their cars?!?

On a brighter note, I dropped our spare car (Mini One) to a friend who needed transport and put £10 in it and the distance meter showed just 68 miles added!! So I guess £4 to go nearly twice as far is ok??

Set off today with 82% covers 132miles 17% left 65% of aSR battery is about 34kw. At 6c today I manage a rage of about 200 miles on a full charge.

So just had the car for a few weeks and so far have done two charges;

Charge One: Plugged in with 38 miles on the odometer and did 122 miles at a cost of £4.20 (42kwh @10p kWh).

Charge Two: 160 miles on the clock and did 118 miles at a cost of £4.

Charge Three (tonight): 278 miles on the clock and expect around 40kWh-ish to be added over night.

Thing is, each time the battery has started at around 91% charged but I’m only getting 120 miles max before needing to recharge the car. How is everyone else getting anywhere near 150 miles in their cars?!?

On a brighter note, I dropped our spare car (Mini One) to a friend who needed transport and put £10 in it and the distance meter showed just 68 miles added!! So I guess £4 to go nearly twice as far is ok??
How fast are you travelling ? What sort of roads are you using ? Do you have a heavy right foot ? Are you a late braker or a regenner ? All sorts of questions and so many variables.

How fast: generally in the 60’s.
Roads: mixture local A roads to Cambridge and school run.
Break/regen: regen on 3 and econ mode.
Heavy right foot: no

Folks, my dealer told me on Friday that he has been talking with MG tech. They have an MG5 which they have run at 100% battery charge always and it has now done 160,000 miles without issue. Why do they recommend 80%?

So once again we appear to have several threads running on the same subject so I have copied these post of mine from another thread and posted them here to try and keep up if I have done wrong I’m sure I will be told shortly.
Les

[IMG alt="Les burrows"]https://www.mgevs.com/data/avatars/m/2/2525.jpg?1649307899[/IMG]

Les burrows

Premium Member
So interesting journey today in my facelift MG5 Trophy started out fully charge at 100% Gom showing 256 miles at switch on comfort mode level 2 regen131893B6-FE64-447A-9328-CEC8629BA928.jpeg
So switch to Eco mode level 1 on the regen gave an extra 11 miles of range now at 267
FD0C5F26-B1AF-41AD-AFA8-7965899FCE3F.jpeg
So set off motorway all the way more or less set the Cruise Control to 63 MPH which we kept as much as possible, several sections limited to 50mph on the M6 southbound,
So after 188 miles we get to beaconsfield services on the M40 I still had around 30 miles to my destination but I had planed to stop here anyhow to try a Rapid charge on an
IONITY 350 Kw charger to see if the car would charge at the rated Charing speed which I’m please to report it did.
3640308A-2AC1-46AF-9372-5C49F6F9030D.jpeg
So as you can see from the picture above no where near the predicted Gom figures just of 256-267 miles I have now drove 188 miles and I have 25 left on that Gom that’s holding 63 mph with no heating or aircon apart from a couple of short bursts to clear the screens 2/3 times 14-15 degrees and moderate cross winds.

So I plug into the 350kw charger and it starts off at 83 kw I’m at 12% it then increased to a max of 88 kw At around 17% and then went down to 71 at 25% which is where I unplug as I now had enough to complete my journey and there was others queuing for chargers these next pictures are not the best because of the bright sunlight sorry pictures got a bit mix up but you can see Im sure
Les

6A9DEDBF-DADB-4DC2-9455-067C3225E351.jpegFC6207F5-5EF3-4466-B5C8-F92E67DFC454.jpeg
88E86259-19C8-4B7A-B41B-ED253123EFEF.jpeg

Last edited: Thursday at 9:14 AM

Quote Reply
Report •••

Copy again from the other thread
[IMG alt="Les burrows"]https://www.mgevs.com/data/avatars/m/2/2525.jpg?1649307899[/IMG]

Les burrows

Premium Member
So after my first post here #6 last Friday today I have done the return motorway journey with my MG5 Trophy so this trip it was quite a bit colder average around 6-8 degrees the whole journey so well down on last weeks 15 or so.
Well I thought I would keep my speed down to round 60 mph to see if I could get over
4mpkh so set off around 12:15 8 degrees in Amersham Buckinghamshire started at 97% 251 miles
A6FE0B5D-C7A4-4351-A45E-1AF4B89CF863.jpeg
6/7 miles a on A355 to pick up M40 north bound ACC set on 60mph heater on and off 20 degrees mid fan speed to clear windows also seats on from time to time so at 15:04 got to Hilton park services on the M6 with about 123 miles done but with still around 80 to do so now have 40% 84 miles in the tank.
645D07B1-C232-48BA-B45E-5C680C997979.jpeg
so i decided I would have a quick top up which I did put 10% in around 15kw which took me to 116 miles at 50% ok that will get us home no point in putting more in at 69ppkw was on a 50kw Gridserve unit and the car pulled 48kws not bad at all, so we set off again still with ACC on 60 eco mode regen 1 and arrived home at 17.28 traffic was quite heavy from around Keele services to home around 42 miles so couldn’t keep to the 60mph in fact was down to 20/30 around Warrington area impossible to keep to 60
So arrived home with 13% 27miles left

6E389B95-A538-4AD2-BED8-5BAB1E6BFD46.jpeg
So drove slower than going but got less then going see #6 Weather was colder but I had much less weight in the car coming home so 3.6 mpkh is for me disappointing my first MG5 exclusive SR with a 50 kw battery did this very same journey under very similar conditions and temperatures many many times and never did any less than 4.3 winter and 4.6 summer I wonder how this car will do in the summer we will see bear in mind this is motorway driving for around 190 miles both here and in #6

Just a short addition to the above on Saturday went to my sons house in SE London and the the 02 arena, and when I arrive at my lads house I had 38% around 95miles but in the next picture look at the miles 4.3mpkw that was driving from Amersham in London traffic.
FEEA8281-5E99-48A7-8932-C6F9967DBDE3.jpeg
So I plug in and fully charge again to 100% and at that the GOM says we now have 266 !!! miles available at 100%.
67ED8A61-82F4-4853-92D0-E19FD7082E95.jpeg
So very late on Saturday night I drive back to Amersham via the A12 & M11 plus M25 in total around 67 miles at an average speed of around 50 mph and when I arrive the GOM is showing 70% & 165 miles remaining, so it as used 101 miles of range but only done around 67.
8B41ADFC-E111-4CF1-B338-E5DB1A865A13.jpeg

The moral of the post is don’t believe anything the GOM tells you in truth the percentage figure is more in the right, if you double your percentage you will get a much more accurate range available than what the car tells you in general hopefully it will improve as it gets warmer.
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom