MG5 Unlocking during charge not releasing connector

Have used a 7kw pod point in Blackpool thankfully no issues đź‘Ť

Maybe a use for the unallocated switch on the centre console (Mode/KERS/unallocated). Have it lock/unlock car end of cable (and display charge status for a minute or so, or until switching the "ignition" to Ready.
Thinking about it I like that as, if I'm in the car reading whilst waiting for the charge to get high enough, I have to get out, lock, unlock to release the cable.
Maybe make it selectable in setup, into the bargain.

Maybe a use for the unallocated switch on the centre console (Mode/KERS/unallocated). Have it lock/unlock car end of cable (and display charge status for a minute or so, or until switching the "ignition" to Ready.
Thinking about it I like that as, if I'm in the car reading whilst waiting for the charge to get high enough, I have to get out, lock, unlock to release the cable.
Maybe make it selectable in setup, into the bargain.
When I've been in the car listening to the radio or a book while I'm charging I simply turn car off, get out and before closing the drivers door hit the unlock button on the drivers door and go and take the cable out.
So if your car wasn't switched on in the first place, just get out press button, unplug.

I have an MG ZS EV Gen1 which just had a BMS update and it now charges while unlocked, however, when using an AC granny charger (13A), we can never get the charger to release unless we kill the power on the AC granny charge.

We've tried:
  • Unlocking the car and within 5 seconds trying to pull the cable out.
  • Pressing unlock again and even double pressing unlock.
  • Unlocking the car, opening the drivers door, leaving it open, then pressing unlock on the key fob again.
  • trying a different granny AC charger, still all the same.

Any other ideas?

I have an MG ZS EV Gen1 which just had a BMS update and it now charges while unlocked, however, when using an AC granny charger (13A), we can never get the charger to release unless we kill the power on the AC granny charge.

We've tried:
  • Unlocking the car and within 5 seconds trying to pull the cable out.
  • Pressing unlock again and even double pressing unlock.
  • Unlocking the car, opening the drivers door, leaving it open, then pressing unlock on the key fob again.
  • trying a different granny AC charger, still all the same.

Any other ideas?
It sounds like another visit back to the dealer to me I am sorry to say !.
Our previous ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) at first, would NOT charge with the doors unlocked / open, but DID release the charging cable and stop the charge when the doors where unlocked with the fob.
But of course, it would start charging again if the cable was still attached and car was relocked with fob again.
When we had the BMS update done, it would then charge with the car either locked / unlocked.
Blipping the unlock button on the fob again, would pause the charge and unlock the cable.
Giving you enough time to remove the cable, if you failed to remove the cable quick enough, it would re-lock in the cable and commence charging again
Killing the power to the charger to get the cable to release is not ideal at all really.
The tick box for allowing the car to charge with the doors open, is the one that a lot of dealers get wrong, but in your case they appear to have this right, but at the cost of not allowing the cable to release when you unlock the car with the fob !.
For what it's worth, or ZS EV LR ( Gen 2 ) is the same !.
I can have the doors open / unlocked and it will charge fine from our wall box.
But if I "Blip" the unlock button, it just continues charging and holds onto the cable.
I have to stop the charge in the head unit, then it will let go of the cable.
There is a software update to correct this on the Gen 2 facelift, but our car has not had it yet !.

It sounds like another visit back to the dealer to me I am sorry to say !.
Our previous ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) at first, would NOT charge with the doors unlocked / open, but DID release the charging cable and stop the charge when the doors where unlocked with the fob.
But of course, it would start charging again if the cable was still attached and car was relocked with fob again.
When we had the BMS update done, it would then charge with the car either locked / unlocked.
Blipping the unlock button on the fob again, would pause the charge and unlock the cable.
Giving you enough time to remove the cable, if you failed to remove the cable quick enough, it would re-lock in the cable and commence charging again
Killing the power to the charger to get the cable to release is not ideal at all really.
The tick box for allowing the car to charge with the doors open, is the one that a lot of dealers get wrong, but in your case they appear to have this right, but at the cost of not allowing the cable to release when you unlock the car with the fob !.
For what it's worth, or ZS EV LR ( Gen 2 ) is the same !.
I can have the doors open / unlocked and it will charge fine from our wall box.
But if I "Blip" the unlock button, it just continues charging and holds onto the cable.
I have to stop the charge in the head unit, then it will let go of the cable.
There is a software update to correct this on the Gen 2 facelift, but our car has not had it yet !.
Thanks @Lovemyev , I thought it might be another dealer visit. It's got to go back in for a steering column issue so will get them to do the necessary then.

Bit annoying really as you would have thought they would check this after applying an update? Bit too much to ask.

Thanks @Lovemyev , I thought it might be another dealer visit. It's got to go back in for a steering column issue so will get them to do the necessary then.

Bit annoying really as you would have thought they would check this after applying an update? Bit too much to ask.
There has been a history of long lead times for parts to sort out the steering wheel click / knock on some cars.
A forum member has just had his column replaced after a five month wait for the bits.
Can I ask, did YOU request the BMS update, if so why ?.
Or was it done as part of the annual service / software update checks ?.

There has been a history of long lead times for parts to sort out the steering wheel click / knock on some cars.
A forum member has just had his column replaced after a five month wait for the bits.
Can I ask, did YOU request the BMS update, if so why ?.
Or was it done as part of the annual service / software update checks ?.
Bit of both on the BMS update; it's a family car so service stations charging when the kids want to sit in the car while it's charging. Also asked if it was missing any recall/mandatory updates.

Bit of both on the BMS update; it's a family car so service stations charging when the kids want to sit in the car while it's charging. Also asked if it was missing any recall/mandatory updates.
How many miles has the car covered and how would you say your percentage of D/C rapid charging, compares to your percentage of home / public A/C charging has been ?.
Do you consider that your predicted range has reduced a lot lately ?.
Did the dealer offer any advice on charging procedures going forward ?.

How many miles has the car covered and how would you say your percentage of D/C rapid charging, compares to your percentage of home / public A/C charging has been ?.
Do you consider that your predicted range has reduced a lot lately ?.
Did the dealer offer any advice on charging procedures going forward ?.
DC charging is minimal, maybe <5%. Most of the time it's AC Charging, and most of the time a granny overnight so it's balancing often.

I've not noticed a drop in predicted range but I'll check my historical data.

DC charging is minimal, maybe <5%. Most of the time it's AC Charging, and most of the time a granny overnight so it's balancing often.

I've not noticed a drop in predicted range but I'll check my historical data.
It just sounds like the dealer made the call to update the BMS which is fairly rare, they usually run away from carrying out software updates, for the very reason it looks like you will be speaking to them about shortly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom